Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in Michigan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of threads about costs of insurance and the result is that everyone's situation is different and it's nearly impossible to get meaningful and useful comparison numbers without a lot of personal details and then comparing them to yours and .... None of which is very practical in this forum.

My suggestion is to call around and get some quotes if you're curious what other rates you might be able to get.

• Disagree
Reactions: MichFin
There are a lot of threads about costs of insurance and the result is that everyone's situation is different and it's nearly impossible to get meaningful and useful comparison numbers without a lot of personal details and then comparing them to yours and .... None of which is very practical in this forum.

My suggestion is to call around and get some quotes if you're curious what other rates you might be able to get.

Seeing as you're not even from Michigan this thread doesn't even apply to you. So I don't see why you're trying to police this fairly simple question that can really help members of this site that live in Michigan.

• Disagree
Reactions: wiredprairie
Actually, @wired is correct - with different deductibles, age of car, driving history, credit rating, etc,etc, no one can really give you useful information.

That said, today I got an updated bill for my 2 week old S90D and it comes to $2242 per year. My prior 2014 S85 ran about $1850 IIRC. I've been with Encompass for years and they cover my 2 homes, 2 cars, and a boat on the same policy.

Hope this helps ... good luck.

I have a 2015 Model S 85D and I'm paying $995 for 6 months through Geico. I don't have any tickets or anything and neither does my wife. How does this compare with other Insurance carriers you might be using?
It's terrible, isn't it? I have a quote from Progressive for $6400/year. Yeah, you read that right. Getting a decent insurance rate for a Tesla in Michigan is tough!

I just bought insurance today. I am 31 years old, no accidents in 6+ years, no tickets in 6+ years, my credit score is 790, I own my own home and they're taking me over the fire. $1560 every 6 months.

That's just crazy. I can't wait to leave this god awful state. Next spring I'm listing my house and heading south.

I just bought insurance today. I am 31 years old, no accidents in 6+ years, no tickets in 6+ years, my credit score is 790, I own my own home and they're taking me over the fire. $1560 every 6 months.

That's just crazy. I can't wait to leave this god awful state. Next spring I'm listing my house and heading south.

With what insurance company?

OMG - these are crazy rates. I’m a mid 40s male in GR with zero accidents/tickets, w/ progressive over 800 score, P85d is about $500 every 6 months($1k broad collision and $1k comp.).

6 cars run me ~ $4k a year. The tesla is surprisingly one of the cheaper ones on my policy. 2 Audi’s a6/s8, 911, and 2 merc Ml350s. 2 of the vehicles have only basic coverage/no collision (due to sitting 95% of the time) and I’ll take the risk of loss If I get in an accident (before any flames - I am actively working on selling 2 of the vehicles as I have 3 drivers in the family - and should drop me down to <$3k a year). I do keep higher deductibles on all cars.

Forgot to add did do a few of the snapshots last winter. Was awesome as I had a few of the cars garaged for the winter and got the full 30% discount.