TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance in Michigan

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by MichFin, Mar 23, 2017.

1. MichFin

MichFin Member

I have a 2015 Model S 85D and I'm paying $995 for 6 months through Geico. I don't have any tickets or anything and neither does my wife. How does this compare with other Insurance carriers you might be using?

2. wiredprairie

wiredprairie Member

There are a lot of threads about costs of insurance and the result is that everyone's situation is different and it's nearly impossible to get meaningful and useful comparison numbers without a lot of personal details and then comparing them to yours and .... None of which is very practical in this forum.

My suggestion is to call around and get some quotes if you're curious what other rates you might be able to get.

• Disagree x 1
  3. MichFin

MichFin Member

Seeing as you're not even from Michigan this thread doesn't even apply to you. So I don't see why you're trying to police this fairly simple question that can really help members of this site that live in Michigan.

• Disagree x 1
  4. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

Actually, @wired is correct - with different deductibles, age of car, driving history, credit rating, etc,etc, no one can really give you useful information.

That said, today I got an updated bill for my 2 week old S90D and it comes to $2242 per year. My prior 2014 S85 ran about $1850 IIRC. I've been with Encompass for years and they cover my 2 homes, 2 cars, and a boat on the same policy.

Hope this helps ... good luck.

5. timf

timf Member

My Model X is around $2500 a year, so it sounds like you're getting a decent price.

6. S-CAR-GO

S-CAR-GO New Member

$1550/year for 2013 S85 with 1000 dollar deductibles from Liberty Mutual. Up about $200 from last year. Have 2 cars with Liberty. Did the RightTrack app monitoring for 90 days last year to get a 15 % discount.

7. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

@SCARGO - great handle :)

... and welcome!

8. MichFin

MichFin Member

Thanks for the feedback. It sound like I'm in the right ballpark but it's about twice what I paid for my Mercedes.

9. cchc99

cchc99 Member

Not that I have it yet, but my quote has been $2,500 for m S85 from Fremont Ins.

10. cchc99

cchc99 Member

Which then went up to $2,700. And now I'm being told they won't write any more Teslas.

11. MichFin

MichFin Member

Try Geico.

12. mrtimholmes

mrtimholmes Member

I'm with geico, same price as well.

13. BelgyFester

BelgyFester Member

It's terrible, isn't it? I have a quote from Progressive for $6400/year. Yeah, you read that right. Getting a decent insurance rate for a Tesla in Michigan is tough!

14. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Tesla needs to provide their own insurance and put these companies to rest with big oil and outdated dealership models.

• Like x 1