TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance: Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Patrick W, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I've insured my vehicles with Allstate for years. Good service when the one time I needed it and having an agent nearby I could pop in and speak with is nice.

I insured my S85 with Allstate when I bought it earlier this year. It's now time to renew. They're asking $1001 for 6 month full coverage.

Just more out of curiosity than anything else I asked a local independent agent to look into coverage with companies he represents and was very surprised when he came up with the same coverage with Progressive for $269 for 6 months.

$1001 vs $269!

Anyone here have experience with Progressive?

That just seems awfully cheap. Either than or I've been overpaying for years.

2. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Im not sure if you are open to other suggestions, but I have mine through a local contact with some major national insurance companies. Great guy. Ill shoot you a PM.

3. JeffS

JeffS Member

I am at about $800/yr with Progressive. Very location dependent plus I have a 20yr old son in college still living at home with an at fault accident 2-1/2 yrs ago.

My regular carrier for my home, all my cars and umbrella policy quoted me $2,600/yr. I just took that as "so you don't want to insure a Tesla then?". Some carriers just don't want to insure these cars. To indicate that choice, they quote outrageous numbers.

4. tstafford

tstafford Member

I too was on Allstate when I bought my MS and their cost to insure it was insane - switched to Progressive for a rate that seems almost too good to be true as well.

5. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

What I would do is call the Tesla approved body shop(s) in your area to see what experiences they have had when dealing with Progressive. it will give you at least a sense of what will have in store. As a control point, ask them the same question about Allstate. see how the responses differ.

also: are you sure the coverages are the same? you need to get it as close to Apples-to-Apples as possible. After all, $1,000,000 of liability coverage for $1001 is a much better deal than $50,000 liability coverage for $269 (just as an example)

6. demundus

demundus Member

I can't find my old reply with my insurance breakdown, maybe it got deleted...

Long story short, I've been with Allstate for almost 8 years, they even got my very first house. When I quoted my MS, my insurance went from 1000 a year to 2600 a year with state minimum coverages. I shopped almost every reputable provider I could find, they were all about the same. Gieco, for whatever reason, was not, and now I'm at around 1600 a year with 3 cars and massive increases in my coverage (no house even!). I gave my Allstate guy a chance to beat, and he said he couldn't even come close, and understood my leaving.

When Gieco quoted me MUCH lower than everyone else, I asked TONS of questions... repair choices for accidents, replacement costs, uninsured driver, addition of my g/f who lives with me on the policy. Try to cover all the good/bad scenarios with the rep and make sure he can point to what you're signing.

Good luck!

7. SwisSojourners

I was at $1,600/ur with Allstate with my first MS, Lexus RX, and home. My MS was totaled (not my fault) early November. While Allstate claim no increase in rate, covering a new MS to be delivered later this month, a Lexus RX, and home will now be $2,200/yr.

After reading this thread, I will be shopping around. JD Power's rating for Progressive is About average and they don't seem to offer home coverage.

You need a good insurer to pay out when you need them to. I've 25 yrs without accident and now getting a 80k$ check to replace my 11 month old MS85. While I was not at fault, the guy who hit me was under insured.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

You have to shop around, but you also have to be careful in that the one or two outliers might indeed be too good to be true.

State Farm kept handing me crazy increases... the broker was a friend of the family. I did some pricing and found that nearly everyone was significantly less (and the company I work for has one heck of a deal with Liberty Mutual) - I called him and told him what I had gotten and he said he couldn't match it.

As long as you're working with one of the more reputable mutuals, you should be good.

A friend of mine used to work for Nationwide in their contact centers. When Nationwide's underwriters would refuse to write a policy, their systems will automatically quote Progressive for the customers if possible. Use that any way you'd wish. :)

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

$269/6 months is $538/year. I'm paying a little more (around $600 a year for the Tesla, with Geico).

So yes, I think it's reasonable. But there are too many factors at play.

Before that I was with Progressive, never had any issues with them, and they always came in very low compared to other companies.

10. jeffs47

jeffs47 Member

#10 jeffs47, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    I just received my quote from Allstate for my 2013 Ford Fusion and 2015 Model S 70 and it's $2,700 for SIX MONTHS! $1,500 of this is Collision and Comprehensive on the Tesla. It's pretty clear that Allstate has an issue with Teslas. I just got a quote from Geico and it's $1,032/six months for the same exact coverage. I guess it's time to make a switch.

Edit: Called Ameriprise since I'm with Costco. Cost is $825/six months with New Car and Gap Coverage. Can't believe that Allstate is trying to charge 3 Times as much!

11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

This is key. I was very happy with Progressive, and loved that up until about 2-3 years ago when you called them it rang right to an operator without any stupid menus. Even though that's no longer the case, I'd likely still be with them if it weren't for two things: 1) They quoted me at $2500 a half for Model S + Evo coverage @ $500k liability levels. My GEICO policy is a third of that. 2) They will not approve OEM parts for repairs, and you cannot purchase an OEM upgrade waiver like some other insurers. If a generic part is available, you will use that part or pay the difference.

2) is where you might run into issues. Tesla mandates expensive approved repair shops, and most (all?) parts are only available through Tesla. It would be very wise to call around and see if any approved repair shops have had trouble dealing with Progressive for Tesla damage.

12. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I fear Allstate as one of the biggest insurers just has the most experience with Tesla and is starting to understand the crazy ridiculous repair prices that Tesla mandates through its repair monopoly. I wouldn't be suprised if in the years to come the other insurers raise their rates to similar levels unless Tesla relaxes their policy.

13. prasad

prasad Member

We are with Farmers (auto and home with Umbrella) and i pay $1,567.30 a year for my S85 and her Infiniti JX35.

14. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

The quote I got from Allstate a while back scared me away from a Model S- $2000/ year for the S alone and this is for a long time customer with a perfect 35+ year driving record!
    Glad I kept visiting the forum and found out other more reasonable options are out there- I think Allstate is just trying to scare people off (and it's working!)

15. themacs

themacs Member

I'm with Amerprise and the cost is $369 for 6 months. Full coverage. Best rate is if you belong to Costco.

16. sickfox

sickfox Member

This. +1

Galve2000 nailed it with his/her two bullets

17. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I checked with Ameriprise before I picked up my 85D. Their quote was higher than what I was getting from my current insurer, State farm. I also use my car for business(80%) but only drive 10K miles a year. I also have 100/300k liability and a 2M umbrella that picks up the diff. I pay approx $700 per 6 months and live in northern Ca.

18. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

AllState tried to violate me on the price w/my S as well.

I switched to e-surance, it was less than 1/2 the price, and I have maxed out all coverages...

19. JeffS

JeffS Member

On the advice in this thread, I called my local Tesla approved body shop - Marshall Auto Body in Waukesha WI. This is an outstanding shop, Tesla and otherwise and it's no surprise they stepped up and took on the Tesla certification. I asked their experience with Progressive, and they stated that the most common insurer on Teslas is Progressive and they've had very good dealings with that company when repairing Teslas. Not a sideways word anywhere in their review of their dealings with Progressive. All positive.

20. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

I was an Allstate customer for about a decade (Home, Auto, Umbrella) but they wanted an absurd amount when I had my 85D quoted. When I asked them why, their response was, "Allstate considers the 2015 Tesla S 85D a high-performance vehicle and it does not qualify for a standard rate. I apologize for any inconvenience."

I ended up with Progressive and they've been great. I had to file a small claim right after I switched insurance for a minor issue and the service was outstanding.