Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance. It is that time of the year again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the process of getting comprehensive quotes. NRMA Is around $3900 odd with and agreed value of 117000 odd on my 4 year old car. That does not include unlimited car hire which would take it to around $4500. Budget direct is just over a grand BUT agreed value is 98000 odd. Would need to include extras like glass cover and car rental and NCB protection.
Have asked Marsh advantage for a quote (Tesla insurance), so will yet see.
What have others on here been able to achieve?

I'm on $3200 with InsureMyTesla 2nd year, but on a P100D valued at more than double your agreed value. I hear a lot of people recommend Shannon's for value - and service, while others mention AAMI, CGU, Comminsure, and RACV, however, many have reported bad repairs and service. I've also heard the rumour that your premium is less if you list a female driver as well, and even less if they're listed as the primary driver (I can't confirm that rumour myself.)

$2858 with InsureMyTesla, 2 drivers, 1.5k excess, covers all standard equipment + accessories, wall connector and the usual theft/loss clauses. No cover for tyres unless caused by another coverable incident, depreciation, or faulty design/workmanship (i.e. stuff Tesla would themselves cover under warranty). Market value, not agreed; however, the policy includes a new-for-old clause if the car is totaled within the first 3 years of ownership.

Other titbits:
Cover for travel & accom expenses (basically, if I'm stranded from the vehicle's theft/damage) up to $1k per event
Personal property up to $1k per event
Hire car for 14 days or 7 weekends
Waived excess for windscreen-only damage

This has only been in force since Feb this year, so will be interesting to see what the discount on premium will be when it's renewal time.

CGU seem to be vague on whether they'll do a new-for-old or not (wording implies up to them). Anyone have clarification from them on this?

Anyone actually claimed from them? Lots of bad reviews about difficulty claiming or getting hold of them by phone.

CGU seem to be vague on whether they'll do a new-for-old or not (wording implies up to them). Anyone have clarification from them on this?

Anyone actually claimed from them? Lots of bad reviews about difficulty claiming or getting hold of them by phone.

I’ve been with cgu via my broker a number of years, cars, and claims. He handles the claims for me, and never had an issue. Super easy in fact, including one very expensive near write-off claim on a bmw that was on an expired policy, but they accepted that I genuinely thought it had been paid so honoured the repairs....for $60k!
I also questioned the new for old. Their concern with tesla is the rapid changes to models, so although I have a 75D, that may no longer be a model available as new at any moment. Hence new for old may not be achievable. Best I got out of them was new (closest model) for old, if that makes sense?

I went with QBE for $2169.31 last month.
S75D agreed value $120,530.00.

Funny thing is that QBE underwrites InsureMyTesla, but they are usually cheaper.
I should look into CGU next year, seems you guys got some good deals.

I ended up getting insurance with RACV. Found that having my wife as the main driver, and me as the secondary driver (to get the RACV membership discount) reduced the premium by $700.

So make sure you try it. Got the 2015 P90DL agreed value for $200K, covered with a $1500 excess for $2400, with windscreen and hire car options.

Comparing apples to apples now, NRMA (renewal with agreed value at $118100 and other policies with them) is $2214.00
With CGU same criteria and options (XS and car hire etc) $3287.68. QBE declined to quote on a 2014 car.
CGU, however allows a very much higher agreed value. At a value of $130000.00 cost is $3338.59.
BIG question. Which way to go? Spend a grand to lock in the higher value or not? Major conundrum.
Budget direct is a whole different ballgame. Their quote is $1061.10 XS is $950 and is a market value policy only with a value of $98000 odd. There are extras NOT included in this as yet ( requires one to do it in person, such as hire car windscreen no claim bonus protection etc.) I will phone tomorrow to see what it actually costs, but say add on $300. Tempting at 1300.
Does anybody have any idea what the market value is of a signature car here is? Trade in value?
Guess i should ask Tesla the question tomorrow. Mileage is around 56000.
Meantime, input from the community would be appreciated.

Comparing apples to apples now, NRMA (renewal with agreed value at $118100 and other policies with them) is $2214.00
With CGU same criteria and options (XS and car hire etc) $3287.68. QBE declined to quote on a 2014 car.
CGU, however allows a very much higher agreed value. At a value of $130000.00 cost is $3338.59.
BIG question. Which way to go? Spend a grand to lock in the higher value or not? Major conundrum.
Budget direct is a whole different ballgame. Their quote is $1061.10 XS is $950 and is a market value policy only with a value of $98000 odd. There are extras NOT included in this as yet ( requires one to do it in person, such as hire car windscreen no claim bonus protection etc.) I will phone tomorrow to see what it actually costs, but say add on $300. Tempting at 1300.
Does anybody have any idea what the market value is of a signature car here is? Trade in value?
Guess i should ask Tesla the question tomorrow. Mileage is around 56000.
Meantime, input from the community would be appreciated.
My philosophy on insurance is that it's there to save me from catastrophic expenses, but not from painful expenses.
So if get $100,000 for my MS instead of $120,000 it will be painful, but not catastrophic.
The odds you'll use insurance at all are quite small, so I like to pay as little as possible each year, while still being protected against a catastrophic expense.
In the (hopefully unlikely) event I ever total my car, the $20,000 I miss out will probably still be less than the money over the years.

Just got my NRMA renewal for my 2014 Model S 85
$133,450 agreed value
$2,000 basic excess
12 month Premium $1591.80
Have been with NRMA since the 80’s and have 8 to 10 policies.
WOW!!!!!! I will go in and speak to them tomorrow!!! Would you be prepared to let me have your post code and whether your care is garaged or outside? Pm me if you like. I have 6 policies with them!! My XS is also 2000.