TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance. It is that time of the year again.

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Dborn, Nov 21, 2018.

1. PJF000

PJF000 Member

The way I see it, Tesla don't have an offering. It is a QBE policy that Marsh Avantage - a brokerage service, creatively created what appeared to be Tesla Insurance. That means there are 2 layers of companies doing something that they would need to have motivation to be involved in the process. Marsh would need to improve their bottom line through volume of sales of QBE policies and Tesla - who would know. Usually going direct short term and avoiding the intermediarys can be cheaper but not always. If you can prove you are a good risk by going direct, it should be cheaper.

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

That is weird.
    Maybe they are changing their mind on a regular basis.
    I once had the same insurer write to let me know they no longer insure investment property in a certain area, and at the same time send me an email to renew my insurance at a different investment property in the same area, and about the same value.

3. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Maybe their crystal ball is cracked.

4. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

Been a while since I've posted here.

I just looked at my invoice for this year's premiums with InsureMyTesla. In 2016 I paid $2196 ($1000 excess). In 2017 I paid $2470 (a bit of a jump but not enough to warrant going shopping). This year they want $3897! I will certainly be going shopping. I still have my 2014 P85 with 45000km on the clock.

I did make a claim a few months ago after I was rear-ended by a Porsche so I wonder if they have bumped me up because of that.

5. Tension

Tension Member

Shouldn't make a difference as it wasn't your fault; the Porsche's insurance would have paid for yours.

I think they're conspiring against Tesla and maybe electric cars in general.

6. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

Not a great business model for something called InsureMyTesla!

7. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

A quick look online and I can get cover with RACV with agreed value of $110,000 (probably too high) and $2000 excess for $1712.

Unless InsureMyTesla respond to my polite inquiry with a substantial reduction in premium, I think I'm about to go through a relationship breakup. I should say that when I made a claim through QBE a few months ago the service was exemplary, but that isn't enough to have me hand over an extra $2k.

8. JayTee

JayTee Member

When buying my Model S 75D last month I recieved a quote through insuremytesla, quoted $3900.

I went with Shannons who I have my other cars and house with, $2300.

For reference im 43 and the wife and I have no prior claims.

9. mrpseudonym

mrpseudonym Member

Tesla no longer appears as an available make to insure on the CGU website. This insurance business will be the death of Tesla.

10. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

InsureMyTesla want $5400 for my 2016 P90D.
    Wow.
    NRMA will do $4100, with 2000 excess and agreed value of 171 000

11. Tension

Tension Member

Isn't that still insanely high? Or is that about what it costs to insure the performance versions?

12. 100KWH

100KWH Member

Yes, this seems high. Check my post on page 1 - $2800 and that's for a P100D.

13. paulp

paulp Active Member

I’ve found insuremytesla to be about double the best rate. They try to justify it by saying the wall connector is included. Not sure why anyone would pay $2k per annum extra per year to insure a $800 connector that is likely covered by contents insurance.

• Like x 1
  14. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Tesla not on their online list of covered makes- did I miss it somewhere?

15. 100KWH

100KWH Member

I did hear rumours that QBE might have dropped them but for the time being, Valentine's under one of their policies.

16. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Just checked with CGU- they dropped Teslas in December.
    Now:
    NOBODY CRASH, please.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. Icey

Icey Member

What annoys me, I signed up with CGU, when it comes up for renewal mid this year i'm going to loose my new for old replacement deal. Most Insurance companies will only do new for old if you've had the car from new and insured with them the whole time.

18. KRYPTOS

KRYPTOS Member

I just put a deposit for a 2015 Model S P90D Tesla Used Inventory and I can't seem to get a quote at all for my vehicle or that I can't get a quote under $5000. What the heck is happening here. I had BMW M3's and Merc AMG's >160k in value but no where >$3000 in premiums.

Hopefully, someone can brighten up my day.

19. paulp

paulp Active Member

Congrats on the tesla purchase!
    If you read this thread there will be lots of insurance options suggested. You will definately get well under your current quote if you look at these options. ‘Tesla’ insurance is very expensive. I found it to be double. Around $5000 seems to be their normal answer.

20. KRYPTOS

KRYPTOS Member

Thanks Paul for your hospitality and help.

I was able to secure finance from Shannons for $2800 covering up to $124,000. low excess of 1200. Awesome!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1