Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Model 3 in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a owner of Tesla model 3 in BC, Canada with new drive license. As new policy of ICBC came out, my insurance estimation increased from CAD 7000 to almost CAD 9000(shown in the picture). Can any model 3 owners share their insurance cost?

Attachments

• IMG_2008.PNG
    IMG_2008.PNG
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,185
You are high risk as per their new policy, so that sucks. If I were you I'd get basic only from ICBC and get a 3rd party quote for the optional coverage. Try Get a Car Insurance Quote Online in Minutes | belairdirect
Cool, thanks. I am waiting their call back.

Wow! that is pretty expensive I think.

Here is my bill from State Farm. It is a 2018 M3 Midrange. This comes to $507.38 USD for 6 Mo, so $1014 USD per year. I am not sure exactly how to compare your coverage to mine but your cost seem very high.

View attachment 451461
ICBC is BC crown corporate. They are ridiculous.

You are high risk as per their new policy, so that sucks. If I were you I'd get basic only from ICBC and get a 3rd party quote for the optional coverage. Try Get a Car Insurance Quote Online in Minutes | belairdirect

I got Belair on my Prius. I did not understand at the time that they require that I install an app on a smart phone that monitors all of my travel and adjusts my premium based on their assessment of my driving. I got demerits for using my phone while “driving”. I wasn’t driving at the time. I was on a ferry in the middle of the Salish Sea, but because I was moving, they figured I was “driving”.

Belair gives demerits for “accelerating”. It doesn’t matter if a logging truck is bearing down on you... don’t accelerate.

When I got my Tesla my wife became the principle driver of the Prius. She does not have a data plan on her phone. Belair expects her to pay for a data plan for the privilege of buying their insurance.

I did not use Belair for my Tesla insurance, I used BCAA.

I’ll be dumping Belair on the Prius soon.

I got Belair on my Prius. I did not understand at the time that they require that I install an app on a smart phone that monitors all of my travel and adjusts my premium based on their assessment of my driving. I got demerits for using my phone while “driving”. I wasn’t driving at the time. I was on a ferry in the middle of the Salish Sea, but because I was moving, they figured I was “driving”.

Belair gives demerits for “accelerating”. It doesn’t matter if a logging truck is bearing down on you... don’t accelerate.

When I got my Tesla my wife became the principle driver of the Prius. She does not have a data plan on her phone. Belair expects her to pay for a data plan for the privilege of buying their insurance.

Interesting, I buy my optional insurance from Belair as well, for a BMW X3 and now the Model 3. They didn't mention anything about the app when I added the Model 3 to the policy last weekend. I took a look at the app on their web site, there's no way I would use something like that. I'm a bit of a privacy geek as well as a "spirited" driver on occasion, so no way I want that app anywhere near me!

That's nuts! I use Belair and don't have an app. Not would I let them. RU sure is wasn't some voluntary thing? I save ~ $1500 by using them.

That's nuts! I use Belair and don't have an app. Not would I let them. RU sure is wasn't some voluntary thing? I save ~ $1500 by using them.

Here is what the Belair website says.

With belairdirect, your optional car insurance coverage requires the use of automerit, to provide you with a personalized price based on your driving behaviour. It's simple: the safer your drive, the more you could save!

• Get a 5% enrolment discount just for signing up with us
  • Save up to 25% by driving safely
There are still other pricing factors, and your cost may increase with high-risk driving. But, you are in control over what you pay for your car insurance, and 3 out of 4 drivers earn a discount.

To get insurance with belairdirect, you must have a data-connected iPhone running iOS 10 or higher, or an Android device running version 5.1 or higher.

(Bolding added)

automerit | Drive Better & Save on Car Insurance | belairdirect

I renewed my ICBC insurance last week. My basic rate is $1055 (annual), and $2143 with the optional ($3mil/$500/$500/roadstar). I didn't go with ICBC optional insurance due to high cost on the replacement cost option. BCAA quoted me $1390 with the replacement cost plus option. I'd check with BCAA for the optional insurance as someone else suggested.

Btw, there is an existing BC Insurance thread.
Insurance in BC

I renewed my ICBC insurance last week. My basic rate is $1055 (annual), and $2143 with the optional ($3mil/$500/$500/roadstar). I didn't go with ICBC optional insurance due to high cost on the replacement cost option. BCAA quoted me $1390 with the replacement cost plus option. I'd check with BCAA for the optional insurance as someone else suggested.

Btw, there is an existing BC Insurance thread.
Insurance in BC
ICBC is not friendly with Tesla owners. But BCAA requires at least 4 years driving experience.

That is scaring. But it seems belair direct is my option since BCAA requires four years driving experience.