Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance ModelX 75D in NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lion

Feb 24, 2018
NSW
waiting for my ModelX 75D coming in March, just got 2 quote insurance , one from Tesla recommend over 3k. another quote from NRMA around 2500, both excess 1500 , is that good deal ?

I had a small rant here Model X Insurance Rates

Now that there is more than a year of claims data premiums for Xs are on the rise. My premium went up by 40%, and the value went from agreed to market! My quotes were the other way around, Tesla was cheaper than NRMA.. but these are pretty much the only two companies that are insuring these cars at the moment, so take the best of the two..

waiting for my ModelX 75D coming in March, just got 2 quote insurance , one from Tesla recommend over 3k. another quote from NRMA around 2500, both excess 1500 , is that good deal ?
I used to be in the insurance industry so have a bit of a behind the scenes understanding.
A lot of people shop around for insurance, so end up changing insurers regularly.
In recent years Insurance companies have got wise to that and have discovered that statistically, people who are more loyal are a better risk and so now include loyalty rating in premium calculations for both number of policies held and years held of a policy. This stared around the turn of the century and is becoming an important factor now.
If you have been regularly changing insurers you can’t do much about the years of insurance factor but you can increase your loyalty bonus by placing most or all of your policies with the same company.
My 2014 Model S costs me around $1400 per year with similar excess through NRMA but I have most of my policies with them and have stayed with them for some time.
I regularly cross check the renewals and whilst not always the cheapest they are generally competitive.
Go back to the company you are with now and see if they will insure your Model X and if so, see if moving some other policies, such as home and CTP will make a difference. If they won’t talk to someone else about bringing all your business to them.

That’s bizarre. They are the underwriters for InsureMyTesla.
I have had problems completing online forms before, but I guess you spoke to someone.
Did they seem bright? Might have been trying to palm off a complicated purchase.

They have a list, from what I understand, some boxes include

• Part of a Motorsport club or owners club.
  • Enthusiast vehicle and or modified.
  • Done track days.
  • Also for me I asked, for a quote for HSV clubsport as well previously.
So tipped me into a enthusiast camp. Now I have my missus kid carrier insured with them too. My car is modified, NRMA wanted $6k!