TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance - my provider won't insure Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by hcsharp, Aug 31, 2018.

1. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Does anyone else use The Hartford for their insurance? We've been using them for 8 years with very reasonable rates and good customer service, especially for my Tesla Roadster. So we called them to add the Model 3 to our policy. "Nope" they said. "We don't insure that car or any other Tesla." I pointed out they've been insuring my Roadster since early 2011. The agent put me on hold to get his manager. 20 min later the manager comes on to verify that they will not insure a Tesla because there's not enough underwriting data. He went on to say they made a mistake when they initially insured my Roadster and weren't allowed to cancel the policy.

I've shopped the policy around a couple times in the last few years but nobody is as reasonable as The Hartford AARP program that we're in. Has anyone else been able to use The Hartford to insure their Model 3?

2. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Yup I remember reading someone else with Hartford who won’t insure their model 3. Get a new insurance company. They’re no good anyways if they won’t insure your cars.

Or just buy a separate premium for the model 3 if you like them that much.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Hard to give up on the fabulous rate they have for my Roadster...
    They also have a rule that the policy has to include every car in the household, which is a common requirement for insurance companies. That prevents us from getting a separate policy for the Model 3.

4. gilscales

gilscales Member

We have The Hartford, maybe they are insuring us because 3 yrs. ago my son got in a wreck, (He is 21 now) so with his age and the accident we are paying double what we used to pay for our other cars, (and about $1,800 a yr. for the 3 now) we do have a low deductible and 500/250 coverage, this month we get to shop around as the accident is coming off his record!

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Good. Now I'm going to call them back and inform them that I know somebody else who insures their Model 3 with The Hartford. Thank you for your reply!

PS. We have a son the same age (21) who recently wrecked one of our cars. But they said that had nothing to do with it.

6. gilscales

gilscales Member

No problem, glad I could help.

7. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Insurance companies don’t reward long term customers - they take advantage of them by charging them more. It’s time to requote all your policies with several other providers. Check out Clark Howard’s recommendations.

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Amusing Catch-22 for the Hartford:

1. They have to insure the Roadster
    2. They refuse to insure the Model 3
    3. They require all cars be insured by the Hartford

• Funny x 1
  9. Raechris

Raechris Member

I would get a new company. when I cross shop clients existing P&C I save them hundreds a year and improve their coverage. Hartford is full of it - underwriting data - bet they insure i8 or mclaren 570s.

10. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Heard that The Hartford is continuing to insure Tesla that have current Hartford coverage, but are not taking on additional Tesla.

Believe they want to get some experience with their current fleet before adding a bunch more.

Good insurance company.

• Funny x 1
  11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Time to shop for another insurance company :cool:

12. gilscales

gilscales Member

Thanks, I'm looking at this now

13. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Years ago I had a friend raving about how awesome The Hartford was and that I should switch over to them from my current provider.

I then discovered that The Hartford won't insure motorcycles and had some other weird things around motorcycle owners.

No thanks, if they don't need my business I don't need them, plenty of other companies to choose from.

• Like x 1
  14. JTwo

JTwo Member

Truth. I’ve learned you need to occasionally change insurance companies because as MikeATL said; they just charge you more.

15. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

They won't insure all your cars but require that you insure all of them with them. What kind of company is that? If they won't insure something then you certainly should have the right to insure that vehicle elsewhere where you can get coverage. Sorry, I'd pull all my business from them and tell them why. If you ever got into an accident with your Roadster I would have serious concerns about making you whole especially if the accident was unfortunately your fault.

So are you not buying a Model 3 now because you love this company so much??

16. Silver Ghost

Silver Ghost Member

I have to agree with this sentiment. With Geico for 15 years not one claim; chose to shop around because of P3D+ and Geico was significantly more. Call at least 4 companies. Make sure you compare Apples to Apples.

• Informative x 1
  17. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I used to find this to be true. Insurance companies lure you in with a low initial rate and then raise rates over a few years. They count on you being too lazy to move to another insurance co. However, every time I've shopped it around I've never found another company that was competitive.

18. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I'd like to think what you heard is true (insuring Teslas w/ existing policy holders). It's certainly not what they told us. I'm going to call them again and suggest this idea. I agree they've always been a good insurance company... until now.

19. b_ack51

b_ack51 Member

Call an insurance broker and let them shop for you.

Or try root insurance.

20. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

#20 hcsharp, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    root is not available in VT. I also worry about companies that put a device in your car to test what kind of driver you are. I don't speed, but like many Tesla owners, I accelerate fast. I've heard they don't like that.

• Like x 1