Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance - my provider won't insure Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else use The Hartford for their insurance? We've been using them for 8 years with very reasonable rates and good customer service, especially for my Tesla Roadster. So we called them to add the Model 3 to our policy. "Nope" they said. "We don't insure that car or any other Tesla." I pointed out they've been insuring my Roadster since early 2011. The agent put me on hold to get his manager. 20 min later the manager comes on to verify that they will not insure a Tesla because there's not enough underwriting data. He went on to say they made a mistake when they initially insured my Roadster and weren't allowed to cancel the policy.

I've shopped the policy around a couple times in the last few years but nobody is as reasonable as The Hartford AARP program that we're in. Has anyone else been able to use The Hartford to insure their Model 3?

That’s just silly.... Give Flo a call

I'm waiting for delivery of my Tesla Model 3 LR. As part of my pre-purchase research, I called my current insurance company (Geico) and got an estimate: $2342/year, which was close to twice what I'm paying for my 2017 Chevy Volt ($1326/year). This was without a VIN, though, so they may have been making incorrect trim-line assumptions. Still, today I got some other estimates. I went to a site that turned up when I Googled for competitive car insurance estimates, and directly to a couple of insurers, and got several quotes ranging from $932/year (Progressive) to $7320/year (Nationwide). I was shocked at how huge the range was. Also, the multi-quote site didn't let me specify a 2019 LR Model 3; I'm guessing their database doesn't yet have that configuration. I specified a mid-range car instead.

In any event, there doesn't seem to be a paucity of insurers willing to issue policies on Teslas. If yours won't do it, then that just means that they won't be getting your money. Somebody else will be happy to take it.

Does anyone else use The Hartford for their insurance? We've been using them for 8 years with very reasonable rates and good customer service, especially for my Tesla Roadster. So we called them to add the Model 3 to our policy. "Nope" they said. "We don't insure that car or any other Tesla." I pointed out they've been insuring my Roadster since early 2011. The agent put me on hold to get his manager. 20 min later the manager comes on to verify that they will not insure a Tesla because there's not enough underwriting data. He went on to say they made a mistake when they initially insured my Roadster and weren't allowed to cancel the policy.

I've shopped the policy around a couple times in the last few years but nobody is as reasonable as The Hartford AARP program that we're in. Has anyone else been able to use The Hartford to insure their Model 3?
I had this exact thing happened to me, but with a power wall the insurance will not cover it because it’s a Tesla product. They said if I prove that I have removed it from my home and exchange it with something else that is another brand they be more than happy to ensure me, but they canceled me due to the Tesla product.

I had this exact thing happened to me, but with a power wall the insurance will not cover it because it’s a Tesla product. They said if I prove that I have removed it from my home and exchange it with something else that is another brand they be more than happy to ensure me, but they canceled me due to the Tesla product.
What insurance company did you have?

Reactions: CrazyRabbit