Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2020 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need the insurance cert to collect. I know it says you do but no one has ever been asked for it as far as I am aware.
They confirmed this to me over the phone, it’s your own responsibility to ensure you’re insured and you don’t need to bring proof.

One thing I forgot to ask though - do we need to tax the car on collection?

One thing I forgot to ask though - do we need to tax the car on collection?

Not if its a new car - its taxed as part of first registration.

But if is a pre registered car, then you do need to tax.

Always best to check though - takes a couple of days before it shows up on Check if a vehicle is taxed and about a week for V5 to come through. A few cars have slipped through the net. Also, double check that plates and VIN on the car match what you think they should be.

• Informative
Reactions: SuperTed
Direct Line wouldn't even quote me on a M3 SR+, yet Churchill were the cheapest on the usual comparison sites, part of the Direct Line Group...

But when I've gotten new cars in the past, I've got the quote online using the make and model, then called up and gave them the reg with no issues.

When I was checking quotes last July/August Churchill was my best choice ... quotes appear to have gone up across the board but my SR+ was initially quoted at £216, which went up to £230 due to a collection delay and a requirement for a re-quote on the phone.

I found direct line and Aviva plus (our current provider) similar once all the options were aligned (NCD protection etc), but LV about £200 cheaper (around £800pa). Sadly they all have around £500 compulsory excess for the vehicle type which was no surprise (our old Outlander Phev has a similar £400 penalty). Still considering whether to keep Aviva Plus as it’s excellent cover eg fully comp on any temporary car included and cover paid monthly by default.

That's ridiculously cheap. What even personal criteria makes a brand new £40,000 car £230pm to insure?

Other people with max no claims have managed even cheaper if, like me, they live in a low crime area, meet the usual requirements and can live with the hefty standard excess. However, since the summer the rates have gone up across the board so 400/500 seems to be the cheap end from what I've been reading.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Insurance"

Hi guys,

I spoke to Tesla this morning to confirm the car registration so I can insure the car.
The nice lady said they won't give me a registration number until I pick up on the day (or one day before if I'm really lucky) but said the car insurer will accept the VIN number.

I spoke to the insurance company who said they need the registration number before cover can start and will not insure based on the VIN.

So as it stand, I get to Tesla, pick up the car, ring my insurance and provide them the registration over the phone, wait for them to confirm I am insured and then I am able to drive off? Just seems a bit weird and I don't want there to be any issues on collection.

On a side note,
I looked for insurance through price comparison websites and Churchill was a 1/3 of the price of the others, he said the quote is valid for 30 days and won't change. What Insurers have you found that are reasonably priced?
Bear in mind I live in a postcode that isnt great for car insurance and have had two accidents in two years :( both non fault :/

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I spoke to Tesla this morning to confirm the car registration so I can insure the car.
The nice lady said they won't give me a registration number until I pick up on the day (or one day before if I'm really lucky) but said the car insurer will accept the VIN number.

I spoke to the insurance company who said they need the registration number before cover can start and will not insure based on the VIN.

So as it stand, I get to Tesla, pick up the car, ring my insurance and provide them the registration over the phone, wait for them to confirm I am insured and then I am able to drive off? Just seems a bit weird and I don't want there to be any issues on collection.

On a side note,
I looked for insurance through price comparison websites and Churchill was a 1/3 of the price of the others, he said the quote is valid for 30 days and won't change. What Insurers have you found that are reasonably priced?
Bear in mind I live in a postcode that isnt great for car insurance and have had two accidents in two years :( both non fault :/

Cheers
Tesla gave me the reg a week before and it turned out to be wrong so I ended up standing in the delivery centre on the phone to the insurers trying to change it. They didn't charge me for the amendment but it rather took the moment away. So be careful what you wish for!
Normally they will give it you a day or two before if you call. Or at least they used to.

if you are getting a good quote from Churchill try direct line. They have the same owners but DL are not on comparison sites so don't pay kickbacks so are often a few quid cheaper.

And you will get a reg number before cover is needed. You will get this around 24 hours before collection, if not longer. But this does not stop you arranging cover much earlier. Then when you know the final details, just call them giving the missing details and pay.

tbh, you don't want to temporarily insure a car on a vin because it may change between insuring and driving out the warehouse/showroom :oops:

Yes it’s very annoying to have to wait until the last moment to get reg details.( got mine about 2 days before pickup)i remember having a choice of registrations on a new Honda I bought years ago.
When I picked up my car the one beside mine had a much better reg than mine.

I was told the other day by Tesla that I should get a text 5 days before collection with the reg. That should be this weekend, fingers crossed..

Have just been checking insurance and found Churchill (via meerkats) to also be the cheapest by about 10%. Next was direct line (my backup).

LV seems to be recommended, however they quoted something outrageous in my instance..

Another one here who found Churchill were the cheapest with Direct Line a couple of hundred more. The rest were hugely more expensive. Churchill/DL also include business use for free (car will be owned by my ltd company) and don't ask about where car is stored (initially it will be kept on-road until I sort out off-road parking for it) so very happy to go with them!