Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2020 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question - I'm at the beginning of this adventure and have just been given a VIN and collection date of 7th September.
Tesla think the VIN is sufficient to get insurance in place.
Presumably I'd update the registration plate number when I actually get one a day or so before collection.
Does anyone know if any insurers actually accept the VIN only to set up insurance for the first time?
Or do you have to wait until you actually have the registration plate number before you can start insurance?
(never had a new car before)

Question - I'm at the beginning of this adventure and have just been given a VIN and collection date of 7th September.
Presumably I'd update the registration plate number when I actually get one a day or so before collection.
Does anyone know if any insurers actually accept the VIN only to set up insurance for the first time?
Or do you have to wait until you actually have the registration plate number before you can start insurance?
Direct Line were ok with setting ours up using the VIN and confirmation of which model it was (SR+). We just needed to confirm the reg plate before the start date of the policy.

Reactions: MrBadger

You do not need a registration to setup insurance in principle (a firm quote if you like) but you need the registration to start the insurance. To setup the insurance, the insurers only need enough information to confirm the exact spec of your car - reg or vin helps, but neither are 100% required - some insurers fail at this point. You may need a phone call with the insurer, but this is fairly standard when purchasing a vehicle where you do not have the final details such as reg or exact start date. It may simply be a matter of retrieving a previous quote and dotting most of the i's and crossing the t's. Best to get a quote apparently 21 days prior to needing to start cover as its at its cheapest point - nothing to stop you getting multiple quotes, especially if dates significantly change or the quote may lapse.

Then when you know firm details, reg, exact delivery date (this can change right very late) then give the insurers the final details and pay. imho, best to do this day before.

tl;dr - some below may need a phone call

1. Get quote(s) approx 21 days before delivery
2. When more firm delivery date is known, setup your insurance in principle (ie firm up your favourite quote) using preliminary info but exact spec of car
3. When delivery is imminent (ie day before), give missing details, ie confirmed collection date and reg number, and pay. There may be a slight adjustment in price from #2 if dates changed.
4. Confirm insurance details are correct and policy meets your needs.
5. Collect car

Helpful to know the registration can't be obtained until the day / day before, although bit of a disappointment as it takes my local council a couple of weeks to process parking permits at the moment :mad:

Another insurance data point as I'm just getting quotes... M3 LR being delivered in September, main driver plus spouse, kept on street, zero no claims (it's stuck on another car), 9+ years driving, no claims or convictions, combined compulsory plus voluntary excess of £800, legal cover, and guaranteed hire car:
DL - £752.64
LV - £1,626.77
Churchill - £539.84

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Churchill, I wouldn't have thought about them otherwise!

Helpful to know the registration can't be obtained until the day / day before, although bit of a disappointment as it takes my local council a couple of weeks to process parking permits at the moment :mad:

Another insurance data point as I'm just getting quotes... M3 LR being delivered in September, main driver plus spouse, kept on street, zero no claims (it's stuck on another car), 9+ years driving, no claims or convictions, combined compulsory plus voluntary excess of £800, legal cover, and guaranteed hire car:
DL - £752.64
LV - £1,626.77
Churchill - £539.84

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Churchill, I wouldn't have thought about them otherwise!

DL - £752.64
LV - £1,626.77
Churchill - £539.84

confused.com (Try a comparison website)

Has anyone used Churchill for company car insurance for a Tesla? Or only personal plus some business use? I’m buying through my ltd company and this is my first ever company car purchase.

since BIK is zero, It makes sense to take car insurance through company for next few years at least.

I’ll also try novo - but any other Tesla friendly company car insurance recommendations?

Has anyone used Churchill for company car insurance for a Tesla? Or only personal plus some business use? I’m buying through my ltd company and this is my first ever company car purchase.

since BIK is zero, It makes sense to take car insurance through company for next few years at least.

I’ll also try novo - but any other Tesla friendly company car insurance recommendations?

I'm in exactly the same situation. From my understanding, you just insure as usual but the ltd company is listed as the owner and we are listed as the registered keeper. I'm putting my profession down as "Company Director - Technology" on Churchill's website, and then it pops up that business use is also covered for no extra charge!

From what my accountant has said, I can then expense that insurance to the ltd and receive corp tax relief on it. Plus no longer having to spend a chunk of my dividends on car insurance every year!

• Love
Reactions: ElRey and pow216
My approach was to initially go with Direct Line who Tesla seems to have 'partnered' with with regards getting insurance on cars with no reg i.e. to provide a simple stress free collection process. Their pricing however is eye watering.

A week later my V5 turned up and I cancelled Direct Line insurance policy (14 day cool off period no cancellation charge) and went with LV who where a 1/3 of the Direct Line price.

Reactions: Chalks99
I'm in exactly the same situation. From my understanding, you just insure as usual but the ltd company is listed as the owner and we are listed as the registered keeper. I'm putting my profession down as "Company Director - Technology" on Churchill's website, and then it pops up that business use is also covered for no extra charge!

From what my accountant has said, I can then expense that insurance to the ltd and receive corp tax relief on it. Plus no longer having to spend a chunk of my dividends on car insurance every year!

I’m investigating options at the moment too. Is your LTD leasing or buying (either directly or via a PCP)? If the ltd is leasing I believe it, the company, will not be the owner or keeper. I checked with direct line and they’re perfectly happy with this...but from a tax perspective I can’t see it being a ltd company expense?

I’m investigating options at the moment too. Is your LTD leasing or buying (either directly or via a PCP)? If the ltd is leasing I believe it, the company, will not be the owner or keeper. I checked with direct line and they’re perfectly happy with this...but from a tax perspective I can’t see it being a ltd company expense?

In my case, my ltd is buying the car with cash so it will be 100% owned by the company. Therefore, I believe all related car expenses (insurance, servicing, accessories etc) are deemed legitimate ltd co expenses. Certainly helps a bit :D

In my case, my ltd is buying the car with cash so it will be 100% owned by the company. Therefore, I believe all related car expenses (insurance, servicing, accessories etc) are deemed legitimate ltd co expenses. Certainly helps a bit :D

I need to figure this out still, as I believe Churchill/direct line is still only personal insurance with business use, eg not company car insurance as such. They won’t issue an invoice in my ltd companies name and the policy holder will be the employee/company director (personally named), therefore the business is not insuring the vehicle as they won’t be the named policy holder.

I remember my days when I was a perm and had a company car and needed to show evidence of insurance (can’t remember why now) and the certificate had ‘Company X’ as the policy holder, not me. I believe it’s the same type of insurance required for a ltd company to claim it as a business expense, otherwise it’s classed a a benefit.

I got a true ltd company (company car) quote from Aviva (LTD company as the policy holder) and it came in at...wait for it...£11,723!!

Worse case if the insurance isn’t a legitimate business expense then I’ll just pay out of my own pocket I think. :)

@Jibjab & @boater291 I'm in the same boat as both of you. I am buying my car through my company, paying cash, and the car will be owned by the company but I will be the registered keeper.

I am getting a partial PPF and ceramic coating, white car living near the coast etc, my company will be paying for that.

My company won't be paying for fuel so I avoid the BiK, however, any business trips that I do I will be putting an expense claim at the cost of fuel incurred (rather than a fixed amount like 45p - any "profit" otherwise is taxable benefit).

I decided to make me the registered keeper so that I'd reduce risk of any official documentation going to my company and me missing it. And I decided that I am personally getting the insurance as there's only me and t'other half that will be driving it (small company, two employees etc) so it's considerably cheaper for me/my company. I spoke to Churchill this morning to confirm my company was the owner and I was the registered keeper, they said that's all normal, updated the quote include my company name as owner, didn't change the price.

@Jibjab & @boater291 I'm in the same boat as both of you. I am buying my car through my company, paying cash, and the car will be owned by the company but I will be the registered keeper.

I am getting a partial PPF and ceramic coating, white car living near the coast etc, my company will be paying for that.

My company won't be paying for fuel so I avoid the BiK, however, any business trips that I do I will be putting an expense claim at the cost of fuel incurred (rather than a fixed amount like 45p - any "profit" otherwise is taxable benefit).

I decided to make me the registered keeper so that I'd reduce risk of any official documentation going to my company and me missing it. And I decided that I am personally getting the insurance as there's only me and t'other half that will be driving it (small company, two employees etc) so it's considerably cheaper for me/my company. I spoke to Churchill this morning to confirm my company was the owner and I was the registered keeper, they said that's all normal, updated the quote include my company name as owner, didn't change the price.

Thanks Lucanesque. I agree, basically everything apart from insurance (presuming it’s ‘personal’ and not the extortionate company car insurance) can go through the LTD. I believe it’s 4ppm for business miles now. The cost of the home charger, maintenance (winter tyres for example :)) etc can go through the company. Not sure if the acceleration boost would be eligible? ;)

I need another test drive just make sure I’m happy after a bit of disappointing first one, all being well I really do like the prospect more and more though :)

Thanks Lucanesque. I agree, basically everything apart from insurance (presuming it’s ‘personal’ and not the extortionate company car insurance) can go through the LTD. I believe it’s 4ppm for business miles now. The cost of the home charger, maintenance (winter tyres for example :)) etc can go through the company. Not sure if the acceleration boost would be eligible? ;)

I need another test drive just make sure I’m happy after a bit of disappointing first one, all being well I really do like the prospect more and more though :)
It's definitely personal - I was shocked at how expensive company car insurance was! I might speak to my accountant again to clarify that insurance point, thanks :)

It's definitely personal - I was shocked at how expensive company car insurance was! I might speak to my accountant again to clarify that insurance point, thanks :)

If the company car is used for business then you need a insurance policy for it - pay it out the company, regardless if it's in your personal name, then you can get the relevant tax relief on it - ideally you want the company name somewhere on the invoice.
The majority of accountants would be fine with that unless yours is insanely risk averse.

My car is being bought through my limited company, every single expense to do with the car will be put through the company.
Will be charging the company 4p per business mile - not much but every little helps.

I just missed a trick of paying for the company car on my personal credit card for the air miles :( Would have given me atleast one business class upgrade, Mrs can stay in economy :D

On a plus note - received my text today from Tesla confirming my registration, pick up on friday so 5 days before
Insurance has also been paid for, was quoted £1142, went back through compare the market link to churchill and the churchil price had gone down by £85! (I didnt even ask for a requote) - all paid for at £1057.

Now I just need to pick the car up...