Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2020 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread formerly "Insuring new registration"

Hi,

have been assigned my my Registration and collection car on the 20th (Leeds).

Had a call from Tesla to yesterday to confirm my my Reg No. but when I try to enter it into Direct Line insurance quote engine, it’s not recognised.

Does anyone know how long it takes the Insurers to get this data which I assume comes fro DVLA?? And has this affected others?

thanks

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
The registration will be allocated but not registered until delivery day.
It may be a couple of weeks before the reg starts appearing on databases used by various sites.
This is common to all new cars so Direct Line probably have a way around it.

I had to ring Direct Line. I told them about my quote (which I'd obtained using the registration unknown option) and gave them my new registration number,

My collection was the following day because Tesla didn't give me my registration number until I rang them the day before. So I also asked Direct Line to email me the certificate of insurance, which they did.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
I had my registration number a week or so before collection. Wasn't recognised when I tried to get quotes online. Phoned Direct Line up on the morning of collection and sorted it out that way. They can do stuff that the online system doesn't let you do. You'll obviously not have any insurance documents at that point, I just wrote down my insurance number in case I needed it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
I had to ring Direct Line. I told them about my quote (which I'd obtained using the registration unknown option) and gave them my new registration number,

My collection was the following day because Tesla didn't give me my registration number until I rang them the day before. So I also asked Direct Line to email me the certificate of insurance, which they did.
You don't need the insurance cert to collect. I know it says you do but no one has ever been asked for it as far as I am aware. DVLA do not do any checks on insurance at the point of first reg.
They gave me the wrong number! I had to call the insurance company from the delivery centre to correct it!

With DL/Tesla under £500
Screenshot_20200211-001456_Samsung Internet.jpg