Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2020 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just called up Churchill to see if they'd knock any more off the quote I got online - they're coming out the best quote but of course I wouldn't tell them that! After some checking, the chap said no, that's the cheapest we can go to unfortunately.

I then brought software up and double checked that the 'acceleration boost' software upgrade wouldn't increase my premiums. He confirmed it wouldn't. Then he asked whether the car had 'Tesla Autopilot' software, I said yes. With him adding that to my quote it knocked around £45 off.

So - those of you getting online quotes with Churchill, it's certainly worth a quick call to tell them the car has autopilot! Should knock a few quid off.

That’s good and bad news on the ‘acceleration boost’. Great that there is no increase...and as I will have less of an excuse NOT to purchase to now...if the lease company ever get around to approving my application :D

Slightly off topic...but as far as I can tell I can put the acceleration boost, and any other accessories, through my ltd company. anything over £100 will attract BIK...but as that 0% and then only raises to 1% a year means I can pimp my car out with very little cost ;) Happy days.

Reactions: Neilio
Weird... just had my annual reminder form LV wanting to increase from £297 to £350 so the usual doing quotes... meerkat LV offers £333 (but have to check the policy 'cos may be slightly higher excess). Chrchill wanted £550 and DirectLine wanted £600.
I'm still gonna ring LV and whinge about that inflation rate particularly after their Lockdown savings...

Great to find this thread! I am currently finding difficulty in finding it very expensive in my current situation:
  • I have to get business insurance as I am buying it through my ltd company
  • I am between 2 addresses but more likely to be at the 2nd address in the near future (not my ltd company address)
  • Address 1 - lowest quote ~ £1100 at Churchill
  • Address 2 - lowest quote ~ £2500 at Churchill
  • This is before I add my partner (provisional) which Churchill do not provide online. Realistically I will add her after she passes but they do not do give me a quote for that again
Do people recommend any other insurers?

Thanks,
Ram

Great to find this thread! I am currently finding difficulty in finding it very expensive in my current situation:
  • I have to get business insurance as I am buying it through my ltd company
  • I am between 2 addresses but more likely to be at the 2nd address in the near future (not my ltd company address)
  • Address 1 - lowest quote ~ £1100 at Churchill
  • Address 2 - lowest quote ~ £2500 at Churchill
  • This is before I add my partner (provisional) which Churchill do not provide online. Realistically I will add her after she passes but they do not do give me a quote for that again
Do people recommend any other insurers?

Thanks,
Ram
Give Novo a try: Tesla Insurance | Novo Insurance Services | Exclusive Cover

I have to get business insurance as I am buying it through my ltd company

I would do a bit more research on that. I don't think that is the case. Doesn't matter who the owner is, personal, lease company, business etc, I think you can organise your own insurance, specify that its owned by third party and expense back through your company.

Exactly this. The quote I got from my broker for company car insurance was eye-wateringly expensive. On the suggestion of others here, and my accountant, I ended up getting insurance personally, which covers me for class 1 business use, with the limited company listed as owner and me personally as registered keeper, paid for it using the company debit card, put it through my books as any other expense.

Of course, your situation may be different around what class of business use you need etc.

As VanillaAir suggests, I’d keep looking around.

I tried for fleet insurance (business leasing an S and an X) but was told that it would be cheaper to get individual policies with Direct Line.

I had used the comparison sites and the quotes were coming up very expensive, and Direct Line has - for us - been about a quarter of the price.

For context I am in my 40s, 20 years protected NCB etc, but my wife hasn't even passed her test yet. We live in London.

For me to be the driver with her as named (assuming she passes her test) insurance is showing up as about £2,000 in total for the 2 cars which I consider a very fair price, though still a lot of money.

On the comparison sites for just me on the Model S it was coming in at £1900!

Considering a Model S and only tried Churchill so far based on recommendations here but they are asking for a tracker? Anyone else had this? I would have thought all the GPS etc fitted to the car would count as a tracker.

Nothing requested on our M3P with Direct Line.

Just a quick thanks to those who mentioned the autopilot - I got a great lady at Churchill this morning who hasn’t heard of it looked something up and read the wording and it does indeed qualify for a discount which is fab! It’s quite new - but I saved nearly £40 with that - so great tip

Reactions: Lucanesque
I took out Churchill insurance on Tuesday and have been impatiently waiting for some paperwork to be posted to me but there's been nothing so far. As my M3 collection is due on Monday afternoon and my regular post usually turns up some time after lunch there's a good chance I'll have no proof of insurance by then :(
Since the licence plate number won't be on file on collection there's no way to check it exists via DVLA either.
Checking my Churchill dashboard doesn't show anything at all.

When I took out Volvo insurance (LV Brokers) in February I got emailed PDFs of all the documents so I could print my own.

You don't actually need proof of insurance to collect a car but you obviously do to drive it on the road.

Give askMID a try to see if its on the insurers database. That will hopefully satisfy you if its listed as insured and won't be an issue for Tesla.

Thanks for that link.
Not on it yet but my insurance doesn't start until 00:01 on Monday to I'll try again before I leave for the M3 collection.

I took out Churchill insurance on Tuesday and have been impatiently waiting for some paperwork to be posted to me but there's been nothing so far. As my M3 collection is due on Monday afternoon and my regular post usually turns up some time after lunch there's a good chance I'll have no proof of insurance by then :(
Since the licence plate number won't be on file on collection there's no way to check it exists via DVLA either.
Checking my Churchill dashboard doesn't show anything at all.

When I took out Volvo insurance (LV Brokers) in February I got emailed PDFs of all the documents so I could print my own.

I was expecting emailed documents or a link at least anyway, too, but spoke to Churchill and as I did it on the phone they get posted snail mail.

I only insured mine on the drive to the collection yesterday, (crazy week and I missed getting to them pre 7pm the night before) she put it on cover immediately and absolutely confirmed I would be in the database for police and that if Tesla needed it they could check too (turns out tesla needed nothing!)

This is probably more of a general "new car" question than a specific model 3 one. Nevertheless:

I pickup at the end of the month - I'll probably swap insurers because I'll save more than the entire cost of the year with my current providers. Presumably I should allow them to overlap by 1 day? Does this matter for e.g. no claims discount only applying to one vehicle at a time (but obviously I want it on the tesla!)? I'm part exchanging so the second I am in a new car, I have ditched the old one.

lastly, does anyone both with GAP insurance for the model 3? I notice that directline offers a "new for old for the first year" - which would essentially be gap insurance for that biggest depreciation zone, right?

Sorry- I'm used to cheap fiestas no newer than 15 months old! :D

This is probably more of a general "new car" question than a specific model 3 one. Nevertheless:

I pickup at the end of the month - I'll probably swap insurers because I'll save more than the entire cost of the year with my current providers. Presumably I should allow them to overlap by 1 day? Does this matter for e.g. no claims discount only applying to one vehicle at a time (but obviously I want it on the tesla!)? I'm part exchanging so the second I am in a new car, I have ditched the old one.

lastly, does anyone both with GAP insurance for the model 3? I notice that directline offers a "new for old for the first year" - which would essentially be gap insurance for that biggest depreciation zone, right?

Welcome to the forum!

You don’t need to overlap your insurance. Check your existing policy, if it ends at midnight on, say 15th, just start your new policy from the 16th.

I’ve got GAP insurance, but it’s up to you. I don’t know what Directline are quoting, but the cheapest I found (and bought) was from www.totallossgap.co.uk

Churchill increased my renewal from just under £1000 to £1500 for no reason this year, no claims/changes etc.
ByMiles turned out to be the cheapest anywhere, by at least £600, despite their pay per mile policy. No need to plug in the thing that goes in the diagnostics port, just need to login with my Tesla credentials and they pull the speedometer reading remotely.
Both allowed the legal owner to be my business and myself being the registered keeper.
Happy to share my ByMiles referral code in a PM.;)

Churchill increased my renewal from just under £1000 to £1500 for no reason this year, no claims/changes etc.
ByMiles turned out to be the cheapest anywhere, by at least £600, despite their pay per mile policy. No need to plug in the thing that goes in the diagnostics port, just need to login with my Tesla credentials and they pull the speedometer reading remotely.
Both allowed the legal owner to be my business and myself being the registered keeper.
Happy to share my ByMiles referral code in a PM.;)
I’ve not seen this one before. Not for me personally as I do about 15k+ a year. What’s does the referral code give? My sister might be interested.

Churchill also do new for old if it’s written off during first 12 months.