Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, got a great trade-in deal for my leaf giving me around £8500 deposit so finally ready to order my model 3.

The excitement was swiftly quelled when I looked at insurance for both me and my partner who only has a provisional licence. The cheapest quote has been around £3k which is insane. With her off the insurance, I'm back down to leaf levels despite me picking up 3 points this last year.

Has anybody been through something similar? I'm 40, and she is 36 so not really young. The other option is just to insure myself and set up temporary insurance in blocks through a service like Veygo. Any advice is appreciated.

To be fair the acceleration rate on an M3 and a learner wrong footing a pedal would be 'interesting'

It takes me back to a driving lesson for my daughter.. she thought it was the brake pedal, car went faster, so she pressed harder. At least I had handbrake as well as wrenching the wheel from her to avoid catastrophe in an old slow clunker..

I know this stuff is person specific, but plenty of people, myself included, have had competitive quotes from Direct Line
Tried them as I had read from back in the early days that they were the ones to try. Refused to even give me a quote.
To be fair the acceleration rate on an M3 and a learner wrong footing a pedal would be 'interesting'

It takes me back to a driving lesson for my daughter.. she thought it was the brake pedal, car went faster, so she pressed harder. At least I had handbrake as well as wrenching the wheel from her to avoid catastrophe in an old slow clunker..
I'm more concerned with other drivers than my partner. I would be more than happy to allow her to run about on her own if it were legal. She has driven the leaf all the way to Anglesey. The only reason she hasn't got her licence is pregnancies.

Thanks for the replies though. Likely placing the order tonight and will try and get her to pass asap. Insurance will probably still be extortionate even then. I will just buy a weekend of insurance at a time and go on a trip somewhere with her. She has relatives 30 miles away so a good run to do if we have a block at a time.

I think the money will be best spent on professional lessons in a more "suitable" car. Driving an automatic is by far easier and less stressful to learn than a manual but you still have things like parking etc which are easier done/perfected in a smaller car. The insurance will still be very high on this vehicle after she passes her test Im afraid. All that said, If you want to play you've got to pay.

So, got a great trade-in deal for my leaf giving me around £8500 deposit so finally ready to order my model 3.

The excitement was swiftly quelled when I looked at insurance for both me and my partner who only has a provisional licence. The cheapest quote has been around £3k which is insane. With her off the insurance, I'm back down to leaf levels despite me picking up 3 points this last year.

Has anybody been through something similar? I'm 40, and she is 36 so not really young. The other option is just to insure myself and set up temporary insurance in blocks through a service like Veygo. Any advice is appreciated.
Just a heads up. Veygo bars the Model 3 (and lots of other cars) from their allowed list for being a Performance Car. I can't get my partner insured on my M3 with any Temp insurance

I'm more concerned with other drivers than my partner. I would be more than happy to allow her to run about on her own if it were legal. She has driven the leaf all the way to Anglesey. The only reason she hasn't got her licence is pregnancies.
That may well be the case, but the insurance company doesn't have proof of that. Buy her a cheap old manual banger to learn on and to later get insured on and for the inevitable dings and errors new drivers will make that you wont bother claiming on. It may not be a status car but insurance on something nice will be a lot cheaper after a year or two.
..even better to make her do an advanced course ASAP.

That may well be the case, but the insurance company doesn't have proof of that. Buy her a cheap old manual banger to learn on and to later get insured on and for the inevitable dings and errors new drivers will make that you wont bother claiming on. It may not be a status car but insurance on something nice will be a lot cheaper after a year or two.
..even better to make her do an advanced course ASAP.
she has been driving the 40kw leaf for 3.5 years now without issue. she knows how to drive, maybe just needs some more practice parking and shes ready for the test. she had already passed her theory but has to resit it again as had kids since then so its expired. her provisional expires next year, thats how long she's been driving! We already have another vehicle but sadly it's a Vivaro minibus with a huge engine so costs as much as the tesla to insure.

Just a heads up. Veygo bars the Model 3 (and lots of other cars) from their allowed list for being a Performance Car. I can't get my partner insured on my M3 with any Temp insurance
Thank you for the heads up there. I told her I don't really want the car if she can't drive it but she still wants me to get it. We regularly do long drives with her at the wheel. That would all go with the 3. She can't drive the other vehicle either.

You are fortunate that you can get a quote at any price with a provisional and/or inexperienced named driver. DL refuse to add my son who is on provisional as a named driver on my policy on my fairly basic ICE - he will need to be 21 and held a full license for a year.

We have been recommended that he gets an insurance policy in his own right - his driving instructor suggested that Marmalade are the insurance company to investigate for this. I think this is them Cars & Insurance for Learner and Young Drivers | Marmalade

You are fortunate that you can get a quote at any price with a provisional and/or inexperienced named driver. DL refuse to add my son who is on provisional as a named driver on my policy on my fairly basic ICE - he will need to be 21 and held a full license for a year.

We have been recommended that he gets an insurance policy in his own right - his driving instructor suggested that Marmalade are the insurance company to investigate for this. I think this is them Cars & Insurance for Learner and Young Drivers | Marmalade
would you believe it, she's too old for marmalade. needs to be under 35 for learner cover. if i do go ahead with the purchase will look at them when she passes though.

would you believe it, she's too old for marmalade. needs to be under 35 for learner cover. if i do go ahead with the purchase will look at them when she passes though.
in my experience insurance is cheaper for a learner than a new driver.I am talking 17-18 year olds so maybe that makes a difference but with a learner there is the assumption of limited driving and supervision. I have been able to get my kids onto basic hatchbacks as learners for £300 extra as second drivers but when they passed that went up to £600-900.
So don't assume it will get cheaper when she passes at least not for a year or two. Maybe her age will help but I would change her to full licence with 0 years experience and see what that does to your quotes it may not be be pretty.

Reactions: Js1977
That kind of tallies with one of the comments on the Marmalade web site. Iirc that they offer bigger savings for drivers that were insured with them as a learner.

I would just be happy to get my 17 year old learner (test March next year) son insured to drive my very modest ICE but DL flatly refused to add him as named driver. His driving instructor recommended Marmalade so I will certainly be pursuing that avenue.

It was much easier when I learned to drive. I think my Dads policy simply covered anyone on the family cars so it didn’t matter what I was using the car for within reason (my Dad worked in insurance so knew the ins and outs very well) so it came as a big shock when DL flatly refused to add my son until he was 21 and 1 year full license.

I was insuring my own sports car at 20 and never had any issues with insurance even when later heavily modified - needed an engineers report that’s all. Insurance these days is a mine field.

It was much easier when I learned to drive. I think my Dads policy simply covered anyone on the family cars so it didn’t matter what I was using the car for within reason (my Dad worked in insurance so knew the ins and outs very well) so it came as a big shock when DL flatly refused to add my son until he was 21 and 1 year full license.
Wasn't much to break on a model T to be fair. 🤣