Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Churchill were cheapest when I checked 3 weeks ago, including Direct Line. Also checked Peugeot when that tip came up on the thread but no cheaper.So Churchill it is and the premium is about the same as I'm already paying for an 18 reg Outlander PHEV, so I'm happy!

You had a busy weekend?

Suspect your question is best aimed at Peugeot directly.
Would be my nightmare :D Just asking as it's my first lease and unsure what really happens if the car's a write off... assume you have to pay monthly for it still even though it can't be used anymore but wondering if it gets replaced or not! I'll shoot them an email and drive carefully when it comes...

Would be my nightmare :D Just asking as it's my first lease and unsure what really happens if the car's a write off... assume you have to pay monthly for it still even though it can't be used anymore but wondering if it gets replaced or not! I'll shoot them an email and drive carefully when it comes...
Makes sense.

I would suspect the insurer would pay the lease co as the owner and they would look to end the contract and come to you for any shortfall - should all be covered in termination rights or similar?

Good luck with your car.

If it's written off, insurers will typically pay out market value. Your problem isn't the insurer, it's the finance company and any shortfall ie the difference between the payout and what it costs to settle the finance. This is where GAP insurance comes into it. Most brokers/lease companies will have tried to sell you this cover before you get the car. You can organise your own

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Abcmsaj
Jealous of you lucky Peugeot Insurance so-and-so's. My insurance renewal isn't til March and I'll bet that "loophole" is long gone by then.
I don't think there is a loophole, but they could well have changed their risk profile by then. Personally whilst they were cheaper then DL and Churchill, the excess was more - and if I lowered it on DL it was almost the same price - but these things are very dependant on the person/mileage/location/history etc.

If it's written off, insurers will typically pay out market value. Your problem isn't the insurer, it's the finance company and any shortfall ie the difference between the payout and what it costs to settle the finance. This is where GAP insurance comes into it. Most brokers/lease companies will have tried to sell you this cover before you get the car. You can organise your own

Well for the first year of a car's life, you don't need any GAP cover with Puegeot as they cover full value in the terms and conditions.

4. New car cover
If your car is less than one year old and you are the first and only registered owner (or you have hired
it under a lease hire or hire-purchase agreement), we will replace it with one of the same make and
model if it has:
• been stolen and not found; or
• suffered damage covered by the policy and the cost of repairing is more than 60% of the last
United Kingdom list price, (including taxes).
We can only do this if a replacement car is available in the UK and anyone else who has an interest
in your car agrees.
If a suitable replacement car is not available, or your car was not supplied as new in the UK , we will
pay you the market value of your car at the time of the loss (less any excess that may apply). If we
settle a claim under this clause, the lost or damaged car becomes our property and you must send
us the registration document.

I'd probably be getting GAP anyway as just finding a new M3 like that seems pretty unlikely!

Hi Guys, Just wanted to let you know I've just got off the phone with Peugeot and they have told me they do not insure new Tesla vehicles! I rang to confirm a few details and they landed this news on me. They said if id applied online it may have gone through, but they would have sent me a letter!

Very bizarre.

Hi Guys, Just wanted to let you know I've just got off the phone with Peugeot and they have told me they do not insure new Tesla vehicles! I rang to confirm a few details and they landed this news on me. They said if id applied online it may have gone through, but they would have sent me a letter!

Very bizarre.

Ring back. You clearly got one of the advisors who doesn't know what they're talking about. I can assure you they do insure new teslas as long as it is under 75k market value.

Very bizarre.
I called up got a quote and paid over the phone, and received my documents today. Seems there's a lot of miscommunication within their team.

Ok, Update, after speaking to another young lad he also said the same! I asked him to speak to a manager, so he did, and then came back asking if id had Peugeots 7 Day cover, to which i replied no, to which he replied, yes we would cover it then.

It has not filled me with confidence to be honest but I may proceed with them.

I have to say both calls were the least professional sounding calls I've ever had with an insurer.