Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I took out fully comp, protected ncd and legal cover on my new M3LR which I collect on Saturday. Total cost with Peugeot insurance was £276 for me and my wife.

We’ve been round the loop on here as to whether it’s a valid insurance product they are selling therefore I don’t really want to open that debate but for those of you who did purchase Pug insurance did you get any email confirmation of your policy/ purchase?

They said they will get the documents in the post and it takes 5-7 days.

Can anyone confirm this is normal?

No. No email confirmation just documents in the post. Bit old fashioned but all good.

Last year we paid £622 at Direct Line for our Model 3 LR, which was quite a leap from the previous year's insurance for a Nissan Qashqui 1.5l.

I did a number of quotes this time around to see if I could better £622 (Churchill = £800), LV = £750), and Vitality Health (they were able to beat the price by 20p to say they beat the quote).

I received the Direct Lines renewal quote in the post this morning and it was £588, and after chatting to them online, managed to reduce it further to £532.46 and I will be getting money back because I had signed up for the mileage money back if I didn't use the mileage I stated at the beginning of the policy. :)

Yesterday I took out fully comp, protected ncd and legal cover on my new M3LR which I collect on Saturday. Total cost with Peugeot insurance was £276 for me and my wife.

We’ve been round the loop on here as to whether it’s a valid insurance product they are selling therefore I don’t really want to open that debate but for those of you who did purchase Pug insurance did you get any email confirmation of your policy/ purchase?

They said they will get the documents in the post and it takes 5-7 days.

Can anyone confirm this is normal?

Bought my Peugeot insurance on the 24th Nov - got an immediate email (Your Car Policy as subject, as opposed to the numerous Your Car Quote emails during quote process - confusingly similar looking emails, so easy to delete accidentally).

Documents came today on the 2nd Dec - so nine days for me, or seven if you forgo the weekend.

Peugeot: £415
DL: £525
LV=: More - no longer competitive as were in 2019
Churchill: Didn’t want to know me for some reason

No qualms wrt insurance validity - the documents talk the right talk + Peugeot parts won’t fit. I have SDP w/Class 1 business use. Called them this afternoon and a nice chap answered within 3-4 minutes and noted it was a lease company owner/keeper (new docs en-route, no charge) + removed auto-renewal. HTHs. Shout if other questions.

p.s. Once you go down the ‘cancel auto-renewal’ process-script with DL they ask ‘is there anything we could do for you on the price of the renewal?’. So - if you’re not comfortable with Peugeot - get their quote, and call DL up to cancel the auto-renewal before buying Peugeot….and give them the price to beat. If you continue to cancel the DL auto-renewal - and if you then have second thoughts - you can still renew on the price they state, just manually (they are apparently sending me a new document pack stating this) - but by then you’ll probably have the renewal much cheaper than the initial auto-renewal price.

p.s. Once you go down the ‘cancel auto-renewal’ process-script with DL they ask ‘is there anything we could do for you on the price of the renewal?’. So - if you’re not comfortable with Peugeot - get their quote, and call DL up to cancel the auto-renewal before buying Peugeot….and give them the price to beat. If you continue to cancel the DL auto-renewal - and if you then have second thoughts - you can still renew on the price they state, just manually (they are apparently sending me a new document pack stating this) - but by then you’ll probably have the renewal much cheaper than the initial auto-renewal price.
Not entirely sure what Peugeot has to do with Tesla insurance? Can you please explain?

Not entirely sure what Peugeot has to do with Tesla insurance? Can you please explain?
Peugeot are the owners of Tesla - they make the frame work and the cat converter... so they are able to do Peugeot insurance for Tesla

... just messing - obviously! Peugeot were offering best prices on Tesla vehicles for Fully Comp insurance, although there was a scare because someone had posted it wouldn't cover the vehicle but at that point a lot of people had already jumped on the Peugeot Insurance for Tesla vehicles.. so nufan is basically saying if you are concerned about Peugeot insurance and all the noise that has been made then get a quote and take it to your current insurance provider upon renewal as they maybe able to match/better it. To do that, go down the cancel auto-renewal or i'm leaving route and have that discussion. Worst case, give your notice in and they may change there mind if not you can always go back to them via the manual route of calling up and asking for it to be reinstated at the quote received.

Reactions: nufan
Just thought I'd add my experience getting insurance sorted for my M3 (LR / Blue / Aeros).

It's a Business Contract Hire via my own LTD Co via ALD. I confirmed with ALD that they would hold the V5 and be listed as the Registered Owner as well as the Registered Keeper.

I was unable to get a quote with either Direct Line or Churchill as soon as I mentioned about it being a Business lease and me not being the Registered Keeper - has anyone else in the same situation had the same response?

I've ended up getting a policy with Peugeot in the end as they would actually quote me and were significantly better value than any CompareMarket quotes I got where I specified I would not be RK or RO (lowest quote being LV at £1300)

Given that DL, Churchill and Peugeot all seem to be under the same parent (UK Insurance Ltd) it does seem odd to effectively be blocked from getting cover in my circumstance from them ?

My car is due Feb delivery so just getting an idea of costs.
Direct Line over £1000, Churchill website £750, Churchill via Compare the Market £650, Peugeot £350
I'm 49 and live in the Midlands with full no claims and a clean licence, helped to put a couple of friends on as named drivers for some reason, why Peugeot is so much less I don't know but paid to read the comments on here so thanks!

Morning. For those who've gone with Peugeot for their insurance I've got a question. The T&Cs say you must be the registered owner/keeper. I'm on a lease, so wondering if Peugeot will still insure. Their quote is about £200 cheaper than any of the others, so keen to go with that.

As you run through the quote process there’s a para on the assumptions they make: one assumes you or your spouse or, or, or a lease company own/are the registered keeper but note the docs will show it is you.

I then called them up once I had paid and asked them to note on the policy that a Lease Co are both in my case (within the cool-off period). They’re sending new docs to reflect this. They had no qualms on the phone.

As you run through the quote process there’s a para on the assumptions they make: one assumes you or your spouse or, or, or a lease company own/are the registered keeper but note the docs will show it is you.

I then called them up once I had paid and asked them to note on the policy that a Lease Co are both in my case (within the cool-off period). They’re sending new docs to reflect this. They had no qualms on the phone.
thanks, will probably take the insurance and then call them like you did.

Reactions: Gibbons
Just had the shock of my life, current insurer (Esure) wants £965 (current car a 2020 Jeep Rubicon, similar new price costs me £420ish), best I can find on "compare the" websites is around £650 and even Peugeot which were £350 when I checked in November are now showing as £485

What on earth is going on? I've insured quite a few rare and performance cars in my day and never thought as "a man of nearer 50 than 40" would even contemplate paying more than £500 and I have NEVER been unable to obtain a quote from a company but this does not seem the case with Tesla's, I've tried a number of companies that I've used previously and they have been unable to provide a quotation. I've got full NCD, no accidents or claims at all and been driving for too long it would seem.

As an aside, whenever I buy a new car, I normally always take out temporary cover for a day or so with a short term insurer and once I get back home, sort out the changes with my current company but I'm finding this time they wont even quote for the Tesla.

I'm wondering if anything has to do with not actually being able to use the registration number for the quote.

For reference, I'm referring to a LR

As I'm due to pick up tomorrow morning, it's really not looking good at all...

Last edited:
never thought as "a man of nearer 50 than 40" would even contemplate paying more than £500 and I have NEVER been unable to obtain a quote from a company but this does not seem the case with Tesla's
same experience with AXA who I've been for the Audi I got rid of (6 years) and possibly before - their online systems refused to give me a quote, so goodbye to them.

Ended up with Churchill in the end (comprehensive plus) as it had the same level of cover when driving in Europe, and was only around £150 more than the revised Peugeot quote, since the previous quote went weird when I brought the date 3 days forward after calling them on Saturday and being told I can have it on Monday instead of Thursday - I think with the collection being closer, I also rushed a bit on picking insurance...but it's not exorbitant (£678)...just will do better next year with a bit more time to focus on it!

They were fine to insure on a non-registered plate too, and didn't care about the VIN!

Does anybody know if Peugeot's insurance cover is actually any good if you need to file a claim? I can't seem to find any reviews for it anywhere.
Being quoted £1350 from Peugeot vs £1750 from Churchill lol. Perks of being a young driver :)

But yeah I'm shocked at how much it's gone up by even though I was able to find yearly quotes of £1200 easily back in September before I picked the car up. I made the mistake of trying to save money by adding the car onto a shared policy with my Van and come renewal of my Van this month Admiral had the cheek to quote me over £3000 for my Model 3!

Does anybody know if Peugeot's insurance cover is actually any good if you need to file a claim? I can't seem to find any reviews for it anywhere.
Being quoted £1350 from Peugeot vs £1750 from Churchill lol. Perks of being a young driver :)

But yeah I'm shocked at how much it's gone up by even though I was able to find yearly quotes of £1200 easily back in September before I picked the car up. I made the mistake of trying to save money by adding the car onto a shared policy with my Van and come renewal of my Van this month Admiral had the cheek to quote me over £3000 for my Model 3!

Yer, that's the question. Churchill are quoting renewal for £638 this year, Peugeot is quoting £514. The stupid thing is their insurance is provided via Direct Line and they are quoting £1200!

Anyone noticed the clear contradition that you have to agree to when signing up for peugeot insurance?

"The vehicle is owned and registered by you, your spouse, partner or civil partner (not business partner), by your parent, employer or a lease company"

Then the very next sentence.

"Your documents will state that the policyholder is the legal owner and registered keeper of the vehicle"

I know people here have said you can just give them a call and ask them to change it, but it seems utterly bizarre!