Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance on a Stealth VS LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I may get matched to a stealth and one of my deciding factors is...how much more expensive will it be to own a stealth vs LR AWD. For those that own a stealth - do insurance companies see the VIN and charge for a performance car? I'm seeing some posts that say stealths are getting performance VINs, so I'm curious to know if insurance companies are charging more, or if it's the same?

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger, but 2K is still 2K - on something that I want and don't necessarily need - so I'm leaning towards not getting it. I may just save that money for FSD later on.

Thanks for your insights!

Only your insurance company can answer that question. Get the VINs for both AWD and Stealth models and ask for a quote. Some insurance companies have been known to charge more for a Performance model but it’s not universal. And prices on insurance have so many variables that anything we tell you won’t necessarily apply to your situation.

From my experience, insurance companies do not know or differentiate performance or AWD models. And if they did, the VIN does not seem to reveal it.

I have a stealth and vin does not indicate performance. They don't know I have a stealth. Yes, that also means I don't want to wreck it and have to get a payout.

I do suggest going online and checking what a model 3 will do to your rates so you know. Mine hardly changed, but some see fairly significant difmerence.

VIN does reveal a Stealth to be Performance for 2020 models. But my insurance company has my Stealth as “Tesla Model 3 EV”.

Trust me, once you drive off in a Stealth, that acceleration will make you forget whatever extra chump change you would be paying. I drove a LR AWD and a Stealth and the difference in the pull is significant. If LR AWD acceleration is a Soprano level high-pitch scream, the Stealth is a pre-teen excitement shrill!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Stealth VINs are the same as 2020 Performance. Tesla changed the VIN digit used to indicate performance models for the 2020 year, so most insurers may not have caught up with that yet.

My SA emailed me an example Stealth VIN to check with my insurance while I was deciding whether to take the match (ultimately I didn't).

Stealth VINs are the same as 2020 Performance. Tesla changed the VIN digit used to indicate performance models for the 2020 year, so most insurers may not have caught up with that yet.

My SA emailed me an example Stealth VIN to check with my insurance while I was deciding whether to take the match (ultimately I didn't).

Which digit in the vin indicates that?

I don't think the 8th digit does for 2020 stealth, at least mine doesn't.

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck is a Stealth? It that dual motor performance... or wait.. is all performance dual motor? *confused*

All Model 3 Ps are dual motor

The stealth is the P3D-.... the Performance Model 3 without the Performance Upgrade Package (the package that adds 20" wheels, the red brakes, the spoiler, the 0.39" lower suspension, and the sport pedals)

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck is a Stealth? It that dual motor performance... or wait.. is all performance dual motor? *confused*

It's a Performance without the 20" Wheels, Red Brake Calipers, Spoiler, Shiny Pedal's and 0.4" taller and a Red Stripe under Dual Motor where ever it appears.

Most, if not all, Stealth's have Track Mode as well.