Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Farmers - 2 cars and house. Adding Tesla this week. I am getting insurance for $620/6months - 500/500/500 with $250 deductible, glass is $100, roadside towing and rental car. My wife had an accident last year and prices went up. The other cars too have same coverage currently ($1150/6). Once I get the Tesla and sell my 3rd car, I expect my insurance to go up a bit.
I have been with Farmers for around 12 years and my wife for 15 (she was with them before we got married). I have had a number of claims over the years (our fault, others fault, split fault) and they have also taken care of us very well.

I am going to be adding an Umbrella policy shortly. With the Tesla to be added, I am also thinking of gap insurance but the quote I suspect would be very high.

I have found that the increase in premium from 100/300/100 to all 500 was 10s of dollars. It might be overkill, but I don't like to think about it too much.

I was told by my body shop that State Farm, Allstate, Geico, Safeco, Liberty Mutual, and Farmers all are companies that are deficient in paying aluminum vehicle rates. I was hit two months ago buy someone insured by one of these companies. On a $6,000 repair I had to pay $1,500 of my own money to get my car back. I would do more than just price comparisons when searching for an insurance company for your Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
Farmers - 2 cars and house. Adding Tesla this week. I am getting insurance for $620/6months - 500/500/500 with $250 deductible, glass is $100, roadside towing and rental car. My wife had an accident last year and prices went up. The other cars too have same coverage currently ($1150/6). Once I get the Tesla and sell my 3rd car, I expect my insurance to go up a bit.
I have been with Farmers for around 12 years and my wife for 15 (she was with them before we got married). I have had a number of claims over the years (our fault, others fault, split fault) and they have also taken care of us very well.

I am going to be adding an Umbrella policy shortly. With the Tesla to be added, I am also thinking of gap insurance but the quote I suspect would be very high.

I have found that the increase in premium from 100/300/100 to all 500 was 10s of dollars. It might be overkill, but I don't like to think about it too much.
God help you if you need to make a claim for your Tesla.

That's crazy how you're all getting good rates. I'm 34 with zero tickets with excellent credit score in the 780s and I'm getting quoted for 164/month through Geico with 100/200k and a 500 deductible.

IMHO, your rate is not unreasonable, given the depreciated Tesla replacement value, and based on my experience when I was single and had only one car insured.

Question for all of you with ~$500 deductibles. Would you actually submit a claim to your insurance company if it was less that $750...$1000...$1500... I have a $1,000 deductible and would not submit anything less than $2,000 to them if at all possible. The difference in you polity rate can be substantial and if you would never submit a claim below a certain threshold then why have low deductibles. My home insurance has a $10,000 deductible for the same reason. Have you ever had a conversation with someone who made a home insurance claim. Most don't turn out well AFTER the fact at renewal time and good luck even finding new insurance. Same holds for my home I would pay anything up to the $10,000 mark before submitting so that is my chosen deductible.

Just curious how do you guys view deductibles?

Reactions: pjoseph
Question for all of you with ~$500 deductibles. Would you actually submit a claim to your insurance company if it was less that $750...$1000...$1500... I have a $1,000 deductible and would not submit anything less than $2,000 to them if at all possible. The difference in you polity rate can be substantial and if you would never submit a claim below a certain threshold then why have low deductibles. My home insurance has a $10,000 deductible for the same reason. Have you ever had a conversation with someone who made a home insurance claim. Most don't turn out well AFTER the fact at renewal time and good luck even finding new insurance. Same holds for my home I would pay anything up to the $10,000 mark before submitting so that is my chosen deductible.

I have a 16 year old daughter. I figure the likelihood that she is going to have at least one fender bender that causes over $2,000 in damages, in the near future, is fairly plausible. I too would probably pay out of pocket for an accident that causes less $2,000. If you are the at fault driver and the other party only wants to go through your insurance, I don't think you have a choice to pay out of pocket. Say the amount is greater than what you would be willing to pay out of pocket, you will be paying more because of the higher deductible.

I guess it just comes down what you think the probability is that you will have an accident that your insurance company will have to pay out on. It doesn't really matter what your willing to pay out of pocket.

Except that it CAN make a tremendous difference in your premiums ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a lighter note I sure hope my HW2 car is self driving by the time my 10 year old turns 16
Maybe I need to look into that. I just remember the $500 and $1,000 deductible options. With the difference in price it would have taken years to recoup the $500 if we had an accident. Is a $2,000 deductible common and how much could someone expect to lower their premium by taking that option?

While I entirely agree with you about deductibles and try to keep them as high as possible so that I can self-insure for the little stuff, I have a car loan that requires a $500 deductible. Simple as that.

My view is that insurance is for big things that would be difficult or impossible to pay for, such as my house burning down. Or crashing my car and having to buy another one. No way would I file a small claim for $1000 or $2000. That just leads to higher insurance rates or canceled policies.

I find the risk quite reasonable to go to 1k or 2k deductibles
If I had a claim near but over my deductible I would just pay myself if that option was available. I would likely file a claim once I got 1k plus over my deductible
I currently have Geico, in my 60's, perfect driving record, good credit, and just got renewal for 605/ 6 months. That's for 500/500k w/1k deductible. That's about $90 less than 500k, and $80 more than 2k
I calculate my payback/break even at about 3 years. After than I'm money ahead

I too am in the camp of high deductible, except that I have zero deduct on my glass coverage.
Now let me spin it a tad - if you have a $1,000 repair that you intend to pay yourself, so that the Insurance company does not know about it, do you really think they won't know, and still mark up your driving record and adjust premiums? Wont the "other guy" who hit you still indicate you were there and have an accident added to your profile?

Not a Tesla (yet) owner, but I just received my 6-months renewal quote
from 21st Century and I noticed a 40% increase from last year.

21st Century Car Insurance - 40 % Premium increase in California

I have an older car so I have only Liability and no Collision.

Body injury $300k
Uninsured Body Injury $300k
Property damage $200k
Medical $10k

Last year (and for the last 10 years) I was charged $250 / 6 months
For next year, the quote that I just received is now $350 / 6 months

There was no change on my part (no accident, no traffic violation)

I have several discounts such as Good Driver discount, Superior Driver, Mature driver...

- The only explanation that I received from when contacting 21st Century
was about medical cost and car repair increase in California.

I contacted various other car insurances and I was able to get a quote similar or better than my last year quote.

I wonder if anyone noticed similar changes in their car insurance policy?

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
$1050 for 6 months with Geico in Denver, Colorado.
31 years old, single, no tickets, no accidents, no claims (at policy start).
I probably got 30 different quotes which caused my phone to explode.

I just had to make a $5000 claim for hail damage, and Geico service was very responsive. Even though it was classified as a catastrophe in the area, I had a visit from the adjuster within a week and the repair was finished the next day. I'd highly recommend them if you're looking. Definitely make sure that your insurer has great claims service!

State Farm just renewed my policy for the first time after purchase and increased the premium to $723.51 for six months. In fairness they raised the premiums on all my other cars too, not because of any issues. They just said they were increasing premiums across the board. I have $250k/$500k coverage with $1,000 deductible which is the coverage required under my umbrella policy. I would shop around, but it is such a pain in the ass and I just don't have the time, plus my Agent is super helpful whenever I need something. I never have to actually speak to anyone, just fire off an email anytime I need something and it gets taken care of right away.

Reactions: pjoseph
I just had to make a $5000 claim for hail damage, and Geico service was very responsive. Even though it was classified as a catastrophe in the area, I had a visit from the adjuster within a week and the repair was finished the next day. I'd highly recommend them if you're looking. Definitely make sure that your insurer has great claims service!
What was the damage and how was it repaired?

I saw one at the Denver SC last week with a cracked windshield and nasty dents from the hail.

What was the damage and how was it repaired?

I saw one at the Denver SC last week with a cracked windshield and nasty dents from the hail.

Ouch. I was luckier than that. About 27 dents from lime-sized hail. The glass roof probably saved a considerable amount of dents, and it wasn't damaged at all.

I took it to Accurate Hail Auto Repair. They had lots of reviews and positive feedback. They'll waive your deductible, have pick up/drop off service, store the car indoors, and do great work.