Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another data point, I have 2 tesla and State Farm has pretty consistently increased the cost with no changes to coverage.

6 month pricing on the 90d has gone from $800->$860->$917
For the p90d it has gone $870->$902->$1010.

Lame. Probably can be blamed on windshield claims, the glass cracks much more easily than any car I have had before.

Another data point, I have 2 tesla and State Farm has pretty consistently increased the cost with no changes to coverage.

6 month pricing on the 90d has gone from $800->$860->$917
For the p90d it has gone $870->$902->$1010.

Lame. Probably can be blamed on windshield claims, the glass cracks much more easily than any car I have had before.

Indeed - mine went up $120/year due to *minor* glass claims. I could have had the 2 windshield stars repaired for $100 or less. Looks like I'll switch back to Wawanesa from Progressive once gap insurance is no longer useful. It wouldn't be useful even now except that 90D values have dropped disproportionately.

Progressive offers gap insurance as well as CSL (Combined Single Limit coverage - so for the driver, for example, $250,000/$500,000 becomes a flat $500,000 in liability coverage).

Wawanesa offers neither, but does offer a better rate at least initially. Ironically, I left them the day I picked up the 2nd Model S at the factory as they wanted to raise my premium 50%. The ironic part is I checked last week (6 months later) and their rate is now back to what it was for the first Model S.

I get that, but it still doesn't make sense when comparing rates to those that are in major cities and I'm not.
your page says that you're in tampa. tampa is an urban area, that reality alone will affect your rates. then there are many other factors that go into determining the rate that you'll pay. driving records, driving habits, even credit scores are all components. you cannot expect to be able to say that your rate is too high when compared to someone else's just because of your location.

your page says that you're in tampa. tampa is an urban area, that reality alone will affect your rates. then there are many other factors that go into determining the rate that you'll pay. driving records, driving habits, even credit scores are all components. you cannot expect to be able to say that your rate is too high when compared to someone else's just because of your location.
Needless to say, that wasn't my only factor in trying to assess/compare rates. There have been a few threads where people have stated what their rates are, along with other factors (age, location, driving hisory, locale, etc.), so that's what I was trying to compare to. I've done quite a bit of researching between carriers, unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that some people are being facetious as to what their rates really are (or they have omitted some coverage such as medical, etc). All good though.

Florida has a lot of risk. I have been wacked by 90 Year olds with coke bottle glasses blowing through red lights. At first I was sure if the car had a driver then realized the driver could barely see over the wheel of a 1963 Catalina. Same thing happened to me here in Virginia too. Got T- boned several years ago, four days after buying a brand new Honda Odyessy. Impact was so bad it ripped the front wheel and hub off the car. Lady couldn’t see to sign her citation. If she had been four feet further back she would have hit my 4 year old daughter in the back seat, and back then the odyessy didn’t have side impact airbags.

My Vietnam Veteran dad has a good saying that he shared with me before I deployed with the military.
“Stay away from has-beens and wanna-be’s, both we get you killed son”

One of the best pieces of advice he ever gave me and it can be applied to driving too.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I just had a small dent imposed on my left rear1/4 panel and bumper on my Model S. [jerk was hit/run] The only certified Tesla repair shop has this small ding costing $6,000 to repair. USAA did not balk at what I thought was an outrageous sum. I called a Detail shop that does c-quartz and asked how removing c-quartz would be done to facilitate repainting the car - and he said...removing the 1/4 panel should cost $16,000 opening dues. [and body shops know that they need to sand the adjoining panels]

So having an insurance company that will stand behind you and fix your expensive car is worth a whole lot more than annual premium costs. Having a company that sells a cheap(er) policy, and then skimps on fixing - is false economics.
I carry $1,000 deductible and and a million dollar umbrella - and my premium was a negligible change from my Toyota. Having USAA in my corner---even if was (but was not) more costly is priceless.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
I called a Detail shop that does c-quartz and asked how removing c-quartz would be done to facilitate repainting the car - and he said...removing the 1/4 panel should cost $16,000 opening dues. [and body shops know that they need to sand the adjoining panels]
I read that multiple times, are you say that removing c-quartz from one quarter panel costs $16 THOUSAND dollars?

I read that multiple times, are you say that removing c-quartz from one quarter panel costs $16 THOUSAND dollars?
not quite - removing the 1/4 panel is a $16,000 action at some body shops. The entire parts replacement and painting on my job is $6,000. Sanding a door, or 1/4 panel, is priced at $250 each by another body shop. Applying c-quartz pro to a repaired panel is also priced at $250 per panel. Body shops (good ones) don't need to be told by owners to sand off c-quartz. I can see how my rambling sentence was confusing.
I was trying to compliment USAA for being a company that I have confidence to pay off outrageous bills. In my opinion, having confidence in your insurance company should outweigh the premium. Do shop, but don't let price alone make the decision.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max*
I'm 29, male currently paying around $250 per month for my 90D. How does $199 a month for driver with clean record for model S sound? Transparent, simple, month to month pricing. With potential savings via using autopilot, and just super convenient mobile app and such. Full disclosure, its a pitch I'm working on after I was unhappy with options for my Model S. Open to feedback. http://www.sparkcoverage.com