Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're independently wealthy living in the Hollywood Hills buying a $150,000 car and stressing out about monthly insurance costs. WTF?
That's one of the dumbest comments I've seen in a while.

How do you think most people get "independently wealthy"? By throwing their money away at every scam artist trying to make a buck? By buying things for 5x the cost, instead of paying their expected value? By paying electricians $5,000 for a $500 job? By paying insurance companies $600/month instead of $600/6months?

Reactions: Fiver and bkp_duke
I just got a refresh MS P90DL inventory car $142k sticker 2 weeks ago and i'm with Costco Ameriprise. i am paying $770 per 6 months for $250k/$500k coverage with $1k deductable. i am a 43 year old male. 2 cars on the policy with my wife as the only other driver. includes $50 per day rental and all the bells and whistles. I live in Los Angeles.. I could easily save some money if i reduce the coverage but i like the added safety net as this car is a beast and is sooooo much fun to drive!!!

I just got a refresh MS P90DL inventory car $142k sticker 2 weeks ago and i'm with Costco Ameriprise. i am paying $770 per 6 months for $250k/$500k coverage with $1k deductable. i am a 43 year old male. 2 cars on the policy with my wife as the only other driver. includes $50 per day rental and all the bells and whistles. I live in Los Angeles.. I could easily save some money if i reduce the coverage but i like the added safety net as this car is a beast and is sooooo much fun to drive!!!

Mine Sticker 146k
Left Ameriprise without costco because they wanted underwriter to take a look at the car for 48 hours and i was picking the freaking MS P90D on that day, so I called Geico and Lo and Behold took 15 minutes and saved me 10%!!!!!! They are not lying !!! I know i sound like working for Geico LOL but I am not i just am happy they helped me not panic on my delivery day which would have been a hot mess with Ameriprise!! I have been with Ameriprise for 7 years!!!! They are downright stupid !!!

2013 P85+, Only car on my account. $880 a year total for max coverage with Progressive. Clean driving record, in my 30's. Every other company was MUCH more. I have 2 other (much older) cars on another insurance account with Farmers.

Just switched auto, home, and umbrella to Geico today after shopping around last night. They were so much cheaper than everyone else for my new S 90D that I actually called them just to see what I entered wrong online. Turns out I didn't and each policy was significantly less than my State Farm coverage. Pays to shop around...in my case more than $2k / year savings in aggregate.

Reactions: Cyclone
50 y/0, 3 drivers USAA quoted 590.00/month 100/300k, 700.00/month for 300/500.
'16 MS 70, '12 GMC Yukon and a '02 RR discovery.
I believe my 16 y/o driver is the culprit.

Geico was worse.

State Farm made my head explode.

I found a end around to save some, but combined it's still 450.00/ monthly. I moved my car to a Progressive business policy( I own a small business) for the MS and then a personal policy to cover all 3 drivers and their 2 vehicles.

Geico was worse.

I found a end around to save some, but combined it's still 450.00/ monthly. I moved my car to a Progressive business policy( I own a small business) for the MS and then a personal policy to cover all 3 drivers and their 2 vehicles.
Seriously. Maybe I should cancel my order. My daughter turns 16 next month. $450 a month would be rediculous. Maybe it would be super high even without a Tesla? What model Tesla do you have? Is your teenage driver a boy? There's also discounts for good grades and drivers ed. Does he/she qualify for these discounts? I guess I better call Liberty Mutual before I take delivery.

Seriously. Maybe I should cancel my order. My daughter turns 16 next month. $450 a month would be rediculous. Maybe it would be super high even without a Tesla? What model Tesla do you have? Is your teenage driver a boy? There's also discounts for good grades and drivers ed. Does he/she qualify for these discounts? I guess I better call Liberty Mutual before I take delivery.

CPO 2016 S70

It is my daughter. Received discounts for grades and for participating in a drivers education class.

She turned 16 in August. The rates I quoted above did not include an accident she had in the high school parking lot week #1. $3800.00 damage to the other kids car. Rates will certainly go up at the end of this period.

My advise:
Use a business policy for your car if you have one.
Limit the hours your kid is behind the wheel (we gave her free reign until the accident).
Now, it's to the gym and home. Practice and home.
To and from school half time. Mom or others the other half.
My logic is a reduction in exposure equals reduced risk of accidents.

Unfortunately, I think mistakes are unavoidable at that age, hence the high rates.

Geico was worse.

How much was your monthly cost before you added your daughter to the policy?