Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance post accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A family member had a minor accident in my car, I believe another car pulled into the lane where it was being passed by our car, and crashed into the side of our car. Other driver may have look behind, but not next to her car. Minor accident, no injuries, just some damage to door and panel behind door on Tesla. I think it is clear that we were in the clear.

When I signed up for the car insurance I took effort to ensure that the File Finish and B&A Motor Bodies (from Tesla list of approved body repairers https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/body-shop-support) was on their list of authorized repairers. So I wouldn't have to pay extra for "choice of repairer". I was reassured that these repairers were both OK.

Today when trying to make a claim however... They say yes, we know about these companies, we have dealt with them before, however they are not on our list of recognized repairers. Which is annoying, that isn't what they said before I paid for the insurance. The seem to appreciate however that the Tesla needs to be repaired by somebody who understands Teslas.

So in any case, the car is now been booked into an assessment center, so they presumably can decide what to do about it.

Really not happy being told that they repairers were on the list when they aren't. I guess it shows you can't trust anything you are told unless it is in writing... However as I see it now, they agreed to insure they car, so now they have to deal with the repair.

Also of annoyance is that the DashCam, a Thinkware F770 appears to be struggling with the concept of date/time at the present, and as a result it looks like we have no recordings of the accident (instead we have lots of old recordings from the future, around 2106). Guessing as it gets the date/time from GPS, it has a GPS time bug. I tried updating to the latest firmware (files dated 2017!), it didn't help (currently shows date as 1970-01-01, with good GPS signal). So on top of everything else, I think I will need to get a new DashCam (any recommendations?)

I guess it shows you can't trust anything you are told unless it is in writing...
Sadly True these days.
You can try and speak to the insurance ombudsman calming during sign up you were advised that these companies were approved.
When you finish the claim move over to RACV complete care plus if you want the ducks nuts of choices and features.
*edit* I'll often record phone calls with companies like this. In Vic you don't even need to tell them.
So on top of everything else, I think I will need to get a new DashCam (any recommendations?)
BlackVue DR900S - Expensive! but nothing beats it from my testing of various cams over the years.

BlackVue DR900S - now on order. Fingers crossed. Camera looks impressive. I see this video -
- looks similar to the wiring I did for my existing camera, although it appears there is only one power connection required for constant 12V, unlike my current camera (which I never wired up correctly) that requires a switched power supply for park mode to work correctly.

Just an update - Insurance company now says that Corso Body Works, South Bank, is fine with them. Which isn't as convenient for us - being right next to the CBD on the wrong side on peak traffic - but I think we should be able to make this one work.