Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Q: Anyone get replacement cost coverage w/ Aviva?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my Tesla, the insurance person at the delivery centre gave me a sales pitch for replacement cost coverage through Aviva (who I had never heard of before until yesterday!).

I ended up going for it because I wanted replacement cost coverage, and what Aviva offers seemed better than the replacement cost coverage that ICBC offers here in BC.

That said, I was a bit skeptical because I went for the 5-year replacement cost coverage and was also told that with the plan, Aviva will reimburse deductibles up to $500.

I know I'm paying for the coverage but it's still in my mind whether there's some catch. Like if there are any exclusions of if it'll be tremendously hard for me to actually get them to give me a new car if I total mine in 4 years - or to even get a single $500 deductible reimbursed.

Since I have 30 days to cancel the coverage, I really wanted to see if anyone had any first-hand knowledge or experience about the product that Aviva offers?

I purchased it in Vancouver from Aviva as well. I generally try to avoid insurance, thinking that it's ALMOST always throwing money away, except when it isn't and then it's great to have it. In this case my wife pushed really hard for it, and a friend of mine just had a totaled car replaced (not sure of the insurer), so we have it. Also 5 year coverage. I hope none of us needs it, and that if we do, it's easy.

It seems that Aviva is a popular choice here for replacement cost insurance. I bought it with my current ICE car too.

Is yours a Model 3? May I ask approx how much are ICBC insurance and Aviva 5-yr on it? I am planning to trade in my ICE car for a Model 3 but ICBC doesn't allow me to do a quote on insurance.

When I picked up my Tesla, the insurance person at the delivery centre gave me a sales pitch for replacement cost coverage through Aviva (who I had never heard of before until yesterday!).

I ended up going for it because I wanted replacement cost coverage, and what Aviva offers seemed better than the replacement cost coverage that ICBC offers here in BC.

That said, I was a bit skeptical because I went for the 5-year replacement cost coverage and was also told that with the plan, Aviva will reimburse deductibles up to $500.

I know I'm paying for the coverage but it's still in my mind whether there's some catch. Like if there are any exclusions of if it'll be tremendously hard for me to actually get them to give me a new car if I total mine in 4 years - or to even get a single $500 deductible reimbursed.

Since I have 30 days to cancel the coverage, I really wanted to see if anyone had any first-hand knowledge or experience about the product that Aviva offers?

It seems that Aviva is a popular choice here for replacement cost insurance. I bought it with my current ICE car too.

Is yours a Model 3? May I ask approx how much are ICBC insurance and Aviva 5-yr on it? I am planning to trade in my ICE car for a Model 3 but ICBC doesn't allow me to do a quote on insurance.

I also have a Model 3. I don't recall exactly what ICBC's pricing was, but it was somewhere around an additional $8-15 per month (in my case) compared to Aviva's pricing - with the main limiting factor being that you can only get replacement cost coverage through ICBC for up to 2 years. Aviva offers up to 5 (or apparently even up to 8, as I read somewhere online),

So it sounds like others have also gotten 5-yr replacement cost coverage with Aviva. They seem to have more of a presence on the East coast. Not the best "reviews" though and I'm almost scared to read some of them: Aviva Auto Insurance Reviews

But maybe I'm just overthinking.. like all of you I hope I'll never have to file a total loss claim, but in the event I do I hope Aviva checks out and the process isn't god awfully painful! :eek:

I found this pic another poster on this forum (@samk579) uploaded of Aviva's pricing chart. It looks to be the same that the insurance guy showed me:
img_6068-jpg.420769

I have it in Ontario but there was only a 2 year option, never had to use it luckily, but when our Mercedes was in an accident it was repaired by them and no issues

Thanks for sharing that your repair through them had no issues. I guess my skepticism is mainly from never having heard of them before. Here in BC we're conditioned to all things ICBC, and probably the only trustworthy private insurer for optional insurance most people know of is BCAA.

I got the 5 year option when I picked up my car at Powell.

The fine print says that Aviva will cover the cost difference between what ICBC will give you for your car and the cost to replace it in the event ICBC declares your car totaled.

You also get your deductible covered (up to $300) if you get into any kind of accident that is less than a totaled car. Aviva will also cover the cost of OEM parts in the event that your car is repaired and ICBC only wants to use 3rd party parts.

So basically for 5 years, you will pay $0.00 extra (other than the normal cost of yearly insurance) if your car gets into any kind of accident.

I bought Aviva in 2013 for Honda Accord. 2 years later, someone totalled it and Aviva paid the full amount included taxes. I highly recommend it.