Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Question --- One Driver Insured with Two Drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question regarding the Tesla insurance....and how it actually "works".....

In California (if that helps).....

Right now, we are both drivers on our insurance policy, with 2 vehicles listed.
Someone else is driving one of the vehicles most of the time, and we keep the insurance card in that vehicle. so that vehicle is insured, regardless of the driver (assumption).

ON the model Y we will more than likely put the car on a NEW (tesla) auto policy.

My question is:

If my wife is the "driver" on the Model Y, since she will be driving it most of the time, and the vehicle is insured,

What are the implications if I drive the vehicle, that does NOT list me as a driver?
If there needs to be any insurance claims as I was the driver, would the vehicle be covered under the tesla insurance, or would it not because I was the driver, and would it then have to go through the joint insurance, that does NOT have the vehicle on it?

Sorry a bit confused, and wondering why I would need to list us BOTH as drivers on the car vs just her....

You will likely need to list both as drivers for both vehicles. They typically ask you to list all persons who live under your roof. Those persons are then either explicitly added to the policy or excluded. I could see you getting excluded from the policy if they find out you drive the vehicle regularly and live with the listed driver.

Reactions: frankvb
You will likely need to list both as drivers for both vehicles. They typically ask you to list all persons who live under your roof. Those persons are then either explicitly added to the policy or excluded. I could see you getting excluded from the policy if they find out you drive the vehicle regularly and live with the listed driver.
Thank you, sounds like (so far) that I would have to include both on the new tesla policy, maybe I should give them a call....

It's better to be safe than sorry so I would tell the Tesla insurance exactly what you plan to do and then let them make the determination of how they want you listed (or not) on the policy. It may be cheaper to add the Tesla to your existing policy.

It's better to be safe than sorry so I would tell the Tesla insurance exactly what you plan to do and then let them make the determination of how they want you listed (or not) on the policy. It may be cheaper to add the Tesla to your existing policy.
yup waiting on that quote now too...thanks i didn't plan on telling them any lies.....its not worth the yearly difference of a few hundred to lie and have a problem, but it would be worth it to save the hundreds if I can if there is "no difference" thanks agian