Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a quick question.

My son is 20 years old and has his licence for over 2 years.

He’s been caught speeding 53mph on a 30mph. It was dual carriage way that had temporary speed restriction. He knows he made a mistake.

He will likely get 6 points.

His car renewal is in the 3rd March and he needs to complete the NIP within 28 days.

I’ve checked all the comparison websites and there is no option for pending points seems logical as doing a quick search suggests he’ll probably get 6 points.

Do we just continue to renew as normal and when the points are confirmed we let the insurance company know.

If we do the above will the insurance company increase the premium immediately or will it only take effect from the following years renewal.?

Any advice is most appreciated

That’s an interesting one from the following viewpoints. NIP isn't the same as a guilty verdict - even though we know he will be found guilty - so at renewal he is still innocent. Unless the terms of insurance state that the insurer needs to be informed of any driving convictions during the terms of the policy then presumably it's OK to keep quiet until renewal? That's all speculative however and the obvious answer is ring the insurers (or a rival or a broker) and ask them.

This will vary from insurer to insurer. Some of them have different wording on the questions. Some will specifically ask if there are any convictions pending, which I believe technically this is, as its a NIP rather than a fixed penalty notice. So it will go to court. I had a similar fun experience when I went through a red light camera to let an ambulance past....sore subject, but I digress.

Also, if you phone the insurer to tell them they need to add points on, it will take effect immediately and there will be a increased premium due immediately, as well as possibly an admin fee (again, depending on the insurer)

I also did a quick google search and it actually suggests that 53 in a 30, court guidelines are a ban....BUT, I imagine thats more geared towards residential 30's rather than a temporary dual carriageway 30.

Its a tough one, I think I would be inclined to go with the cheapest insurer as per normal but read everything carefully to make sure they are not asking about any pending points/convictions.

Then cross the next bridge as and when you come to it.