Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
insurance rates are based on many factors..age, location, driving record, other cars/policies with the same carrier, deductible chosen, overall limits

comparing against another person on the internet is mainly...useless

• Love
Reactions: cwerdna
One word with Progressive is that they've notified some customers during renewal that they "misquoted" the Tesla and rates have gone up A LOT, I think on the order of 50% or more. I'm not up for renewal until March time frame, so I have no first hand knowledge yet on this...

It's all over the place, and it's worthy to check it out:

-AAA (my insurance provider before getting the Tesla) quoted me $2300 (and that's for 50/100 with $1000 deductable). Notice that they only charged $1800 for my S550, $800/each for my Escalade and GL450
- Tesla quoted $1800
- Mercury quoted $4000 !!! (clean driving record, multiple cars & house bunded)

At the end, I went with Wawanesa. $1400/year, and this is with 100/300 and $1000 deductable. I switched all the cars to Wawanesa, saved on average 20-25% each car.

Nope. aamd got a quote from 4 different companies. Same person with the exact same driving history generated 4 significantly different quotes.

Tesla Insurance is very competitive in my experience and they just got into the insurance business (with some other underwriter). I think one of the reasons why Tesla got into insurance is they can take the safety features of the car into account whereas other insurance companies might misprice it.

State farm agent here. Insurance rates have more to do with the client than the car. Comparing insurance rates with others is virtually pointless today. What one person pays has zero relevance to what someone else pays. It is literally irrelevant.....

Nope. aamd got a quote from 4 different companies. Same person with the exact same driving history generated 4 significantly different quotes.

Tesla Insurance is very competitive in my experience and they just got into the insurance business (with some other underwriter). I think one of the reasons why Tesla got into insurance is they can take the safety features of the car into account whereas other insurance companies might misprice it.

Uh, every company will have their own actuarial configurations. So, of course there will be variations by COMPANY. But, the vehicle itself has little to do with the rate that the company charges you. Go to those 4 different companies and get them to quote the Model Y and then have them tell you the difference between a Honda Civic. There won’t be a significant difference. I could quote 3 people of the same age/sex/driving record/zip code and get 3 drastically different rates.... And I can only quote for one company.

Again, the car itself has less to do with the rate than the person. I’ve only been doing this daily for 25 years...... But I guess you know more on the subject than I do.....

Last edited:
It's useful to know which companies provide good and bad rates for reference. I'm sure OP, like everyone else, has insurance right now so they'll find out what simply changing vehicles means to their new insurance rates.

As for the highlighted comment: Whatever... :rolleyes: You can stop being so defensive. No one cares as much as you think...

Also, I'm not surprised that you didn't provide a data-point and only offered vague text.

Uh, every company will have their own actuarial configurations. So, of course there will be variations by COMPANY. But, the vehicle itself has little to do with the rate that the company charges you. Go to those 4 different companies and get them to quote the Model Y and then have them tell you the difference between a Honda Civic. There won’t be a significant difference. I could quote 3 people of the same age/sex/driving record/zip code and get 3 drastically different rates.... And I can only quote for one company.

Again, the car itself has less to do with the rate than the person. I’ve only been doing this daily for 25 years...... But I guess you know more on the subject than I do.....

It's interesting, huh?

Same driver, depreciated car, more driving experience (say no major infractions or claims/accidents), yet the rate can change dramatically.

all kind of insurance companies are total rip off-they'll quote low $ numbers at the beginning and the next quarter will raise the premium. Always switch insurance every 2/3 years-they are all highway bandits.

I had my MY with Tesla insurance. My new MY has FSD and I asked Tesla insurance if my FSD would be coverd if I had a total loss. They said 'NO" I was floored! So I switched to COSTO Insurance and they said as long as my FSD was part of my original equipment and not added on later its 100% covered! It was aslo less expensive!

Reactions: mark95476

I have 3 cars on the same insurance, and the cost per car is proving you very wrong.

I have 3 cars on the same insurance, and the cost per car is proving you very wrong.

There are other factors that come into play when rating a particular policy. The car is just one of those factors......

Who drives the car the most? Who is the assigned driver? What is their age? What is their driving record? Do they work? What is their occupation? Do they commute? If so, how far? Is the driver in outside sales or is the car used for business purposes?
If teenager, are they a student? Full time or part time? Do they have B average? Did they take driver training?
Is car a secondary/pleasure vehicle? How many miles driver per year? Do you allow telematics?
How old is the policy itself? Is it receiving any longevity discounts?
Any accidents or surcharges on the policy? How many claims on the policy (tow, windshield, uninsured, etc)? What is the payment history?

The above are just a few factors that apply to the particular policy that covers the particular car. If everything is exactly the same above, the car itself should not make a big difference.

I have 4 cars and 4 policies with 4 drastically different rates.

1. MY - My car with me as the rated driver and I have defensive driving. 0 tickets/accidents and policy is 4 months old
2. Land Rover - Wife is rated driver and she has defensive driving. 0 tickets/accidents and policy is 10+ years old
3. Jeep Wrangler - 16 year old daughter is the rated driver. 0 tickets/accidents, A student, driver training. Policy is 6 years old.
4. Nissan Maxima - 23 year old son is the rated driver. O tickets/accidents and he has driver training. The policy is 10+ years old.

Of course, the rates above are drastically different based on the underlying risk exposure. However, if the CAR is the only factor that changes within the policy, the price should not be drastically effected. Example: If I switched vehicle 1 with vehicle 2, then the MY would actually go down in price under policy #2. The drivers are virtually the same risk but policy #2 is 10+ years old while policy #1 was written in August 2020. So, policy #2 has a 10 year Accident Free Discount which is 25% with my insurance company in my State.

I suppose some companies may place a bigger burden on the vehicle than my particular company. But I would still suggest that it’s not as big of a difference as you might think.

EDIT: Many companies have a single policy to cover all vehicles. So things like the longevity example above may not apply. However, the assigned driver and their associated characteristics will play a heavy factor in the price for that vehicle.

Last edited:
This is interesting as I have FSD (OE) and Acceleration Boost. I'm about to renew with Tesla insurance but might check into Costco.

What was the delta between Tesla and Costco?

I had my MY with Tesla insurance. My new MY has FSD and I asked Tesla insurance if my FSD would be coverd if I had a total loss. They said 'NO" I was floored! So I switched to COSTO Insurance and they said as long as my FSD was part of my original equipment and not added on later its 100% covered! It was aslo less expensive!

...Whatever. Just admit that you're wrong and move on. :rolleyes:

There are other factors that come into play when rating a particular policy. The car is just one of those factors......

Who drives the car the most? Who is the assigned driver? What is their age? What is their driving record? Do they work? What is their occupation? Do they commute? If so, how far? Is the driver in outside sales or is the car used for business purposes?
If teenager, are they a student? Full time or part time? Do they have B average? Did they take driver training?
Is car a secondary/pleasure vehicle? How many miles driver per year? Do you allow telematics?
How old is the policy itself? Is it receiving any longevity discounts?
Any accidents or surcharges on the policy? How many claims on the policy (tow, windshield, uninsured, etc)? What is the payment history?

The above are just a few factors that apply to the particular policy that covers the particular car. If everything is exactly the same above, the car itself should not make a big difference.

I have 4 cars and 4 policies with 4 drastically different rates.

1. MY - My car with me as the rated driver and I have defensive driving. 0 tickets/accidents and policy is 4 months old
2. Land Rover - Wife is rated driver and she has defensive driving. 0 tickets/accidents and policy is 10+ years old
3. Jeep Wrangler - 16 year old daughter is the rated driver. 0 tickets/accidents, A student, driver training. Policy is 6 years old.
4. Nissan Maxima - 23 year old son is the rated driver. O tickets/accidents and he has driver training. The policy is 10+ years old.

Of course, the rates above are drastically different based on the underlying risk exposure. However, if the CAR is the only factor that changes within the policy, the price should not be drastically effected. Example: If I switched vehicle 1 with vehicle 2, then the MY would actually go down in price under policy #2. The drivers are virtually the same risk but policy #2 is 10+ years old while policy #1 was written in August 2020. So, policy #2 has a 10 year Accident Free Discount which is 25% with my insurance company in my State.

I suppose some companies may place a bigger burden on the vehicle than my particular company. But I would still suggest that it’s not as big of a difference as you might think.

EDIT: Many companies have a single policy to cover all vehicles. So things like the longevity example above may not apply. However, the assigned driver and their associated characteristics will play a heavy factor in the price for that vehicle.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ