Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk's promises (if you can call them that) apply in US only. It's very difficult as insurance is highly regulated in Australia. They would almost need to make an acquisition in Australia to be able to offer insurance here - like what they've had to do in US.

He's tweeted:
Elon Musk on Twitter

"We’re working on it. Takes time to get all regulatory approvals. Almost there for the larger US states. At least 6 to 12 months for Europe/UK."

After a tip on here Shannons were able to quote I got an online quote from parent Suncorp and it correctly had the two variants to select (though it also asked if it had aftermarket modifications including nitrous which makes me smile). If Suncorp can do it their sub-brands AAMI etc all likely can now. More boutique insurers that we access via our broker still can't quote as at last week.

Coincidentally to reading your replies I had a reply from Tesla Sydney to whom I had addressed the same (and other) question(s):

>>1. We had Tesla insurance for over a year in Australia, but the underwriter QBE stopped insuring luxury cars, so we are on the search for a new underwriter and will relaunch InsureMyTesla.<<

If anything turns up I will post further.

• Informative
Reactions: Vegas
Got the following from Shannon's. 2 drivers, both in 30s, no prior claims or demerits. Parked in urban carport.

Tesla Model 3
  • Comprehensive
  • Annual fee: $2364
  • Excess: $750
Tesla Model 3 Performance
  • Comprehensive
  • Annual fee: $2597
  • Excess: $900
Trying to compare with some other quotes, but can't find another insurer with the Model 3 underwritten yet (at least in Tasmania). Anyone else know another national insurer who is providing quotes for Model 3?

For the New Zealanders reading, I got a quote from AMI for the performance. Annual premium was $1385 and the excess was $900. They wouldn't do no excess, no claim window cover due to the glass roof, though. I didn't think that was all that bad for a 33 year old with one car park ding claim in the last 3 years. It was only $85 more than I paid for the premium on my 2007 Nissan Skyline.

• Informative
Reactions: Miggy
Suncorp quote:
Comprehensive Car Insurance
  • 2 year new car replacement
$1026.95
*Inc. GST and gov't charges

• Windscreen
$1041.15

Comprehensive Advantages
  • Lifetime new for old car replacement
  • Windscreen
  • Hire Car (unlimited days)
$1179.16

Suncorp quote:
$1026.95

• Windscreen
$1041.15

Comprehensive Advantages
  • Lifetime new for old car replacement
  • Windscreen
  • Hire Car (unlimited days)
$1179.16

This is insanely cheap. I don’t understand why here in Melbourne with zero accidents a 41yo in a safe suburb with garage and the quote comes to $1900 with a $850 excess or higher.