Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get a cover note from whoever gives you one and don't pay when due. You should be able to string it out for a month, or maybe someone will quote you better.
Cover notes don’t exist any more. They only existed in the horse and buggy era when insurance policy documents needed to be posted to people and physically signed. The internet and ability to take out insurance online at any time on any day of the week made cover notes redundant and I’m not aware of any insurer which still offers them.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
So I rang BUPA (health fund) underwritten by CGU in Melbourne to be told that CGU no longer insure Tesla's.
That is probably true for new covers, but it may be possible if you call them and ask if they will insure for a Collingwood football club member. They are major sponsors. If so, join up on the level that suits to get the membership number. I am insured at circa .77% of agreed value.

The CGU rep I got escalated to said as of last week, no new insurance policies for Tesla due to expensive spare parts.

What a load of rubbish......compared to Euro cars, often even compared to Holden's, Tesla's are darn cheap for parts.

Example:
Model S front bumber: $750
Merc C Class Bumber: $2,800

Model S Full folding Mirror (including cap): $650
Mer C Class foldering mirror : $2,250

Makes you wonder who is behind getting these insurance companies to not insure Tesla (happening in the states also)....it's absolutely nothing to do with spare parts cost.

The second Tesla offer insurance I will use them....

What a load of rubbish.
Of course it is. How would a rep know the reasons and basis an underwriter covers.
One known reason is that the time for spare parts to become available, has been too long for some insurers, so cars are written off with greater loss than normally otherwise. My policy rolled over a few weeks ago with no change on cover or premium. So much for not insuring!

Cover notes don’t exist any more. They only existed in the horse and buggy era when insurance policy documents needed to be posted to people and physically signed. The internet and ability to take out insurance online at any time on any day of the week made cover notes redundant and I’m not aware of any insurer which still offers them.

Just take out a policy with most any insurer and then you have 21 days with most as a cooling off period to cancel and get a full refund while having coverage at the same time up until you cancel!

FYI...
RACV - $1,471 with 1k excess.
Primary male driver 42, secondary female driver 35
Brisbane 4006
Yes to 14 day hire car ($101 increase)
Yes to windscreen
2 year replacement garrentee
Rating 1 driver.
Brand new Model 3 Performance :)

Last night when I was arranging comprehensive insurance for my Model 3 that I pick up tomorrow :D I noticed there is now a “Model 3 Long Range MY19 Updated” variant in the list when I had to specify my car. I selected that one, presumably it is the 2019 builds that have 2020 VINs.

The quote was about $40 cheaper than the previous quote I got... go figure o_O

What a load of rubbish......compared to Euro cars, often even compared to Holden's, Tesla's are darn cheap for parts.

Example:

Makes you wonder who is behind getting these insurance companies to not insure Tesla (happening in the states also)....it's absolutely nothing to do with spare parts cost.

definetly. My Jaw dropped when I noted how expensive it was to get my old BMW serviced in Australia! Tesla seems fairly affordable in comparison.

Example:

more likely their procurement team is trying to negotiate a discount on spare parts from Tesla, not realising that others have jacked up the standard price so they can discount but Tesla is cheaper even without their big customer ‘discount’.

Tested insurers (for WA insurance) -= here is the outer ranges (highest and lowest)

Youi offered $2,052.53 (annual)
RAC WA offered $1,066.20 (annual)

Vehicle: Tesla MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE MY19
Basic excess: $700 (RAC) $800 (Youi)
2 main drivers listed (both over 25, licenced for decades, no demerit points)

They also offered: 4 cents per litre off fuel at participating service stations (I laughed!!!)

Discounts

We're pleased to give you the following discounts on your policy.
• Low emissions car up to 25%
• New vehicle up to 5%

RAC WA were really good, very impressed with them. - fully online, no fuss, no bother, no heavy sales tactics.
Youi - had to provide contact number, wait for them to call me (after filling in initial details online), deal with sales person and sales tactics, and finally after 15 minutes or more on the phone, found the quote was as above. (RACWA was Way quicker, and no sales pressure)

That was my experience. Hope someone finds it useful.

RAC WA were really good, very impressed with them. - fully online, no fuss, no bother, no heavy sales tactics.
Youi - had to provide contact number, wait for them to call me (after filling in initial details online), deal with sales person and sales tactics, and finally after 15 minutes or more on the phone, found the quote was as above. (RACWA was Way quicker, and no sales pressure)
I managed to get a Youi quote online but it was not very compelling. RAC WA sound really good... a few here have commented on them. 25% off for low emissions vehicles shows their heart is in the right place. The equivalent in NSW (NRMA) hasn’t compared nearly as well with insurance quotes. I ended going with APIA - around $1400, easily the lowest quote I got, with a reasonable excess ($700), new car replacement within 2 years, and windscreen/roof glass cover.

I I ended going with APIA - around $1400, easily the lowest quote I got, with a reasonable excess ($700), new car replacement within 2 years, and windscreen/roof glass cover.
I’d check that new car replacement... when I read their T&C I seem to remember reading that they had a value limit of $14000!
Mind you, I can be as confused by the fine print as anyone. :cool:

I’d check that new car replacement... when I read their T&C I seem to remember reading that they had a value limit of $14000! Mind you, I can be as confused by the fine print as anyone. :cool:
You might be mis-remembering their limit of $40k for the “new car less than 10 years old after theft” option. Basically this clause does not apply if the car’s agreed value at the time of a theft which results in total loss is more than $40k. In that situation you’ll get the insured sum (less the usual deductions) rather than APIA obtaining a new car (of comparable make/model/performance) for you.

I suppose it’s a convenience feature for those for whom going out to buy a new car is a hassle and would like APIA to do the legwork. Presumably if you didn’t want to take advantage of this “feature”, even if you were eligible for it, you’d just tell them to pay out the insured sum.

There is no restriction on new car replacement within 2 years in the event of total loss.

You might be mis-remembering their limit of $40k for the “new car less than 10 years old after theft” option
Yes, that's it! Thanks for correcting me. I just did what I should have done before I wrote that and found my quote. The relevant point is: "Replacement of your car with a new one if it’s stolen and not recovered and is less than 10 years old ($40,000 limit applies)". I'm interpreting this in the insurer's favour, not the insured's!

However, when asked APIA to quote, my premium would have been $1479. Suncorp insured me for $1499 for their top cover (including lifetime new for written off vehicle). I liked that better.