Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suncorp insured me for $1499 for their top cover (including lifetime new for written off vehicle). I liked that better.

Speculating here .. but in 5 years time to keep the "lifetime new for old" you'll need to keep insuring with them. They'll take advantage of this with the premium's skyrocketing .. but you'll feel compelled to stay with them to keep this 'feature'. May pay out for you in the long run.

Speculating here .. but in 5 years time to keep the "lifetime new for old" you'll need to keep insuring with them. They'll take advantage of this with the premium's skyrocketing .. but you'll feel compelled to stay with them to keep this 'feature'.
I think “skyrocketing premiums” has happened with every new insurance policy I have ever taken out. It’s part of the business model.

You need to get refreshed quotes on car, house, contents etc every 1-2 years to ensure you’re not being charged the lazy tax. In my experience, those which started out the cheapest for a particular asset/risk profile usually remain the cheapest but the gap closes over time.

I think “skyrocketing premiums” has happened with every new insurance policy I have ever taken out. It’s part of the business model.

You need to get refreshed quotes on car, house, contents etc every 1-2 years to ensure you’re not being charged the lazy tax. In my experience, those which started out the cheapest for a particular asset/risk profile usually remain the cheapest but the gap closes over time.
Cheapest price is usually not the way to go. If your existing insurance company has excellent service why change.

Cheapest price is usually not the way to go. If your existing insurance company has excellent service why change.
Cheapest price can be the way to go if one has read all the relevant PDSs and compared the coverage and done a cost-benefit analysis. Some of the quotes I got for my Model 3 were over $3000, even including loyalty benefits and multi-policy discounts. Is “loyalty” to one of the insurers I currently deal with worth over $1500? No, it is not.

Different insurance companies’ actuaries assess risk profiles very differently and composition bias in the policyholder base can make big differences to the premium.

I've been working with UbiCar Insurance recently, and we've been pushing to get some reasonable insurance premiums available for Tesla drivers across Australia - maybe give us a try if you're still hunting?

I tried to get a quote from UbiCar but the page doesn't let me get past entering details about the car, you select all the options but the "continue" button doesn't work. Tried on 3 browsers on 3 devices... just doesn't like me!

C

Best is getting suncorp new car replacement protection for life.

Due to the cynic I am .. I assume this and other policies like GIO Platinum raise the premiums to astronomic levels after a few years. Apples to apples, comparing what you're quoted for renewal and going and getting a new policy with the same or similar provider.

And of course you'll feel compelled to stick with them because of the "new car replacement for life".

Am I right or wrong? I'd like to be wrong.

Suncorp insured me for $1499 for their top cover (including lifetime new for written off vehicle). I liked that better.

Hi Petros. You will find that the Suncorp PDS for Comprehensive Advantages (Which is their top cover) states new for old replacement - the loss or damage to your car occurred less than 2 years from date of original registration.

Suncorp PDS - New for Old.JPG

That doesn't sound right, because then how does it become lifetime?

bought this last October for my new car. Agreed value and it comes with all the bells & whistles you hope never to use. You need to take this cover out to take advantage of lifetime new car replacement before the car is 13 months old and keep insuring with GIO continuously for as long as you own the car.

I spoke with a nice lady who gave me better than online rate because I had to include factory fitted items not listed online.

Hi Petros. You will find that the Suncorp PDS for Comprehensive Advantages (Which is their top cover) states new for old replacement - the loss or damage to your car occurred less than 2 years from date of original registration.

View attachment 511278[/QUOT

I received an email from Motorsport Australia (CAMS) announcing a new insurance company (Famous Insurance) that would even cover motorsport events up to L2S, so I thought, why not give them a try. The result was incredibile.

They quoted $4,167.83 with a $1,250 excess. I suppose I should consider paying almost $2,000 more than I currently pay and doubling my excess. On second thoughts, maybe not.

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
I also got a quote from UbiCar and their price was genuinely the best I have seen so far. They quote a range on the premium and you start somewhere in the middle. You are required to install an app on your phone which monitors your driving style which will then determine your premium over time.

I leave my car permanently in Insane mode as I hate being part of the pack when I get a green light. I'm not really interested in lots of speed, just getting ahead so I have space around me. This sort of driving would push my premium to the top tier, which is several hundred dollars a year more than I currently pay, so I decided to pass.

However, the lowest rate was several hundred dollars less than I currently pay, so UbiCar may very well suit someone with a more laid back driving style. If you tend to use Chill mode they will most likely be the least expensive.