Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won't list prices as it depends on the individual, but I called or did quotes online for a M3 Performance with Shannons, Youi, AAMI, Suncorp, NRMA and CBA and CBA was the best. I think I'll take it with the maximum excess they offer of $1,700 and it really drops the premium.

Waiting for a call back from Huddle who said the M3P wasn't setup in their system properly yet...

• Informative
Reactions: m4rtin
RAC WA - SR+
up to 15k km/year
40 year old, only one recent claim but not at fault
agreed value of $82k
hire car after accident, no claim bonus protection
Premium $1047/year, excess $650

For me there's two things that are really attractive about this.
- As some who has worked with insurance companies (admittedly mostly housing insurance), the RAC generally treat their customers really well.
- According to the PDS, the hire car is unlimited until the car is repaired, or you settle (i'm guessing you just don't settle and they keep giving you a hire car till its fixed!?). Considering how long its taking people to get their Tesla's repaired, I believe this is a massive bonus.

Also be aware this is with a 5% discount for being a member for > 5 years.
This also includes a 25% "Low emissions discount", but every Tesla owner will be entitled to this.

If they're available outside WA (or if you live in WA) I'd recommend them. My car was written off last year (not at fault), and I had the money in my account within 6 days of the accident.

How did you get such a good deal?
To be honest the agreed value was originally only their base I think 89k but they gave me the wrong advice reg new for old, so after about 4 calls they have changed the policy to my Tesla contracts value of 115,000, with no extra charge in premium ($400 value). But I found AAMI to be the most competitive by far.

Post code makes a huge difference with insurance and if you can make arrangements to not have finance you can save a bunch on insurance as well.

Commonwealth Bank seems by far the cheapest... They also do not care whether the car is kept in a garage or on a street or the exact address. Neither do they care about km/year.

With their highest excess of 1600 AUD I got down to 1250 dollars which is pretty good for the Performance (29 yo, no accidents, 6 years license). Quotes from anywhere else were 1500-1800.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I find this amazing but have no one else to tell. On the NRMA website (you know, they announced they were building the largest charging stations network), their quote tool doesn't work for any all electric vehicles made in 2019. https://www.insuranceonline.nrma.co...rtal.Quote?product=Comprehensive&brandId=nrma

I.e. No Teslas, no Nissan Leaf, no BMW i3 - they all have an error "Sorry, we couldn't find any cars that matched your search" - Presume the search is breaking because it's expecting an engine capacity value for an ICE

On the NRMA website (you know, they announced they were building the largest charging stations network), their quote tool doesn't work for any all electric vehicles made in 2019.

You can kinda quote some variants of model 3 on the NRMA website, need to use find "by rego". Fortunately we know of at least one registration in NSW, EBO45U.

Don't know what the difference between PERFORMAN and PERFORMANC is, both have default agreed value of $85k, but the latter is cheaper to insure.

Opening a can of worms - are there any insurers who are likely to be better for learners? I have another "learners car" but there will be a few road trips that I will want to take the 3 on, and it makes sense to get hours up.

I just got an online CBA quote which seems to just pile on excess but unless you tick the "no young drivers" it's fine. This is what I was expecting.

Sydney metro, garaged, financed, experienced main driver.