Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: m4rtin
Yes, it is more like you have to get a quote from their repairer, but if you want you can get one from your chosen one too and then only Comminsure decide which one to use. Even if yours was the same price they may insist on theirs given they likely own that repairer or have some other interest. I have a couple of mates who run or own crash shops and what they say is this is effectively NOT choice of repairer, they will inevitably only accept the quote from their repairer, or their repairer will always be cheaper than anyone else can quote against due to background deals.
The fact that one of my mates has been running a shop for something like 20 years I think and can only remember once doing a Comminsure job implies they essentially to me have their own crash repairers and they are unlikely to let you go elsewhere.
The reality of course with a Tesla is decent repairs that aren't purely body work (or maybe even are) may have to go to a approved Tesla repairer and can't be done by just any shop.

upload_2019-9-11_19-6-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-11_19-6-55.png
    upload_2019-9-11_19-6-55.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 61
The quote I have accepted from CommInsure for my P3- of $999 ($1,500 excess) is a much better deal than the $2,400 I paid to InsureMyTesla for the Model S P85D I just sold (similar value).

I figure if I am unfortunate and have an accident then I expect the options to fix it properly will be limited and at least I can try to point them in the right direction.

My earlier quote with AAMI had no choice at all. And RAA wanted $4,000.

Budget Direct quoted me around $1200. Youi initially quoted $1400 but came down to match BD when I asked (and they have a new for old replacement first 2 years).

Now, I just need a car to insure ...

I just got off the phone with Youi they wont even give me a quote. Apparently a 'pop up' appeared on their computer saying they're unable to offer insurance due to the 'high value' of the vehicle. Maybe its me and they're just politely rejecting me.

Just tried Budget Direct's website:
"Sorry, we can't offer you insurance right now"
Sad times =(

/edit
Should add more details for reference:
30+yo male
10+ year licence
No accidents/claims
Garaged, Sydney
P3+ FSD Red

Interesting...it's quite hit and miss if you take all our experiences and put them together:

- I got a quote from Youi on the phone last week. It was very expensive (>3k) but at no point did they indicate it's not possible
- I have been with CBA for 11 years. Multiple cars. Multiple claims. Choice of repairer always and never have been asked to go to one they like
- Huddle won't quote me
- AAMI won't quote me
- Shannon's won't quote me as I "am not a car enthusiast witnessed by the fact that I don't have any other cars with them"
- GIO quoted me the cheapest rate so far (~$1800) which includes lifetime new for old

Info:
2 drivers 49 and 44
Clean licenses >10 years
Garaged in metro Sydney
P+

On the subject of GIO I just signed up with them.

I called the call centre and told them the quote they gave me online and asked if they could beat it.
Old mate bought it down a couple hundred no questions asked. The rest of my quote remains as is.

Meanwhile CommInsure were actually more expensive over the phone.

All in all super happy with what GIO were able to do

I have been with CBA for 11 years. Multiple cars. Multiple claims. Choice of repairer always and never have been asked to go to one they like

Good to hear at least a little positive news about CBA. CommInsure are the only ones giving me a reasonable quote $1900-$2000. NRMA wanted 3-$4000 and I already have car and house insurance with them. =(

Good to hear at least a little positive news about CBA. CommInsure are the only ones giving me a reasonable quote $1900-$2000. NRMA wanted 3-$4000 and I already have car and house insurance with them. =(

I’m reading the PDS for CommInsure but can’t see any problems. Not sure I can cope with reading ones from other companies to compare. What red flags should I be looking for?

Here's my final reasonable quotes.

Single driver Male, 45+
Single Claim last 3 yrs
Garaged VIC 3032
Quoted for Performance spec although I'm getting P-
Metallic Paint and FSD.

All quotes are for 2 yr new for old, with the 'agreed amount' as the minimum that they would cover.
All quotes include 21 day hire car and Window no XS options.

Car_Insurance.PNG

Good Luck, the prices when you factor in one claim or write-off in 1st 2 years all come in pretty close. Still wish I could get RACW to cover me though. :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic