Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has successfully received an insurance quote from their providers yet?

I called both Belair Direct and Johnson Insurance, but without an actual VIN, they don't have the Model 3 on file to determine what category bracket it will be in.

Has anyone had success getting a quote yet?

(Johnson insurance asked if I was able to get any VIN to see if it works. Anyone happen to take a picture of the Model 3 demo vehicles in either Toronto or Vancouver?)

No luck with Sonnet either. I gave them a VIN a long time ago when they started surfacing but they never got back to me. When I spoke with them most recently they told me it has to be entered into the IBC database before they can quote it.

I don't know how accurate it was, but on Twitter about three weeks ago, I saw someone claim $982 (yearly, I think) from Intact Insurance, for somewhere in Ontario - likely the GTA. The only real takeaway I'd have from this is to maybe check out Intact if you haven't.

I called TD Melloche Monnex. They couldn't give a quote yet even though I provided them with a VIN I found online. They said they would provide insurance under the closest related vehicle until the Model 3 is entered into their system. That would be the Model S 75D.

Just an update,

I found a random VIN from a Youtube video and called Belair Direct back. They said it wont work unless it's a registered VIN in Canada. So... I guess it's a waiting game until then.

If someone is so kind to let us know their VIN when they get one... that would be cool ;)

So i'm actually new to this insurance 'shopping-around' business and made a list of places i'm planning to call once i get my VIN:

1. RBC
2. Aviva (through InsureMyTesla) - Not sure if it's any difference from RBC-Aviva
3. Intact Insurance
4. TD Meloche Monnex
5. Allstate Insurance
6. (my friend who owns an insurance company)

Any other place worth considering?

Things to mention when calling for me personally to see if it affects rates:

1. Drive less than 5km each way to work. (take the GO Train)
2. Overnight Parking is in an underground parking lot that's monitored 24 hours (less chance of theft)
3. No accidents in the last 20 years

Not sure if that will help with the rate at all.

So i'm actually new to this insurance 'shopping-around' business and made a list of places i'm planning to call once i get my VIN:

1. RBC
2. Aviva (through InsureMyTesla) - Not sure if it's any difference from RBC-Aviva
3. Intact Insurance
4. TD Meloche Monnex
5. Allstate Insurance
6. (my friend who owns an insurance company)

Any other place worth considering?

Things to mention when calling for me personally to see if it affects rates:

1. Drive less than 5km each way to work. (take the GO Train)
2. Overnight Parking is in an underground parking lot that's monitored 24 hours (less chance of theft)
3. No accidents in the last 20 years

Not sure if that will help with the rate at all.

You might want to try Sonnet, which is the self-serve branch of Economical.

Co-operator's is by far and away the best insurer (and usually most expensive) in terms of paying out claims if you need them.

State Farm/Desjardins is relatively low cost but coverage amounts are often lower than other companies (but this is usually more true for home policies).

You might also want to stack your auto with home for further discounts, get winter tires (another discount), offer any memberships to any professional orgnizations or allumni organizations etc...

Failing all of that... just hire a broker and let them do the work for you.

Reactions: pmich80
You might want to try Sonnet, which is the self-serve branch of Economical.

Co-operator's is by far and away the best insurer (and usually most expensive) in terms of paying out claims if you need them.

State Farm/Desjardins is relatively low cost but coverage amounts are often lower than other companies (but this is usually more true for home policies).

You might also want to stack your auto with home for further discounts, get winter tires (another discount), offer any memberships to any professional orgnizations or allumni organizations etc...

Failing all of that... just hire a broker and let them do the work for you.

I forgot about the winter tires. How does that work? Do you have to show them a receipt of purchased tires or just a promise that you'll use them ? LOL

I forgot about the winter tires. How does that work? Do you have to show them a receipt of purchased tires or just a promise that you'll use them ? LOL

I am with TD Meloche Monnex. They took me at my word that I had winter tires. No proof needed.

Of course, if you were to have an accident and they took pics of your car and saw you didn't have winter tires, they'd likely try to get the savings back.

Other insurers may do it differently this is only my experience.

I am with TD Meloche Monnex. They took me at my word that I had winter tires. No proof needed.

Of course, if you were to have an accident and they took pics of your car and saw you didn't have winter tires, they'd likely try to get the savings back.

Other insurers may do it differently this is only my experience.

They wouldn't just "try to get the savings back"...

They would actually say "well.. you lied to us and therefore this insurance contract is void. sorry for your luck but we aren't paying you $hit"

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG and Struja
They wouldn't just "try to get the savings back"...

They would actually say "well.. you lied to us and therefore this insurance contract is void. sorry for your luck but we aren't paying you $hit"

Nope. Depends on the situation. If it is November 15 and you haven’t put your snows on and they void your contract they’ve acted in bad faith. This is especially true with companies like TD that sell policies directly to consumers over the phone.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
Nope. Depends on the situation. If it is November 15 and you haven’t put your snows on and they void your contract they’ve acted in bad faith. This is especially true with companies like TD that sell policies directly to consumers over the phone.

Right.. but the "Winter Tire Discount" that's being discussed is valid from December 1st to March 31st. So if you don't have winter tires installed between those 2 dates (Or the dates as specified in your contract), but you have told them you would... then you are in violation of your contract.

• Disagree
Reactions: Struja and pmich80

Right.. but the "Winter Tire Discount" that's being discussed is valid from December 1st to March 31st. So if you don't have winter tires installed between those 2 dates (Or the dates as specified in your contract), but you have told them you would... then you are in violation of your contract.

Terms like that may be entirely unenforeceable when directly selling to the public. If an insured makes an honest mistake and puts the shoes on after December 1 and gets into the accident there is ZERO chance they insurer can void the policy, without clear, concise and coherent language in the policy (and even then, it is unlikely if it is an honest mistake).

If however ,the insured is intentionally trying to dupe the insurer and does even own a set of winters, voiding the policy is possible, but the threshold for the insurer is high and they would have the burden of proving the insured's intentional conduct.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
I have had this discussion with both Belair Direct, The Personal, and Johnson insurance. They all said that if you take advantage of the winter tire discount, and if you get into an accident between the specified dates and do not have the tires, that gives them an out.

Look.. I don't want to get into a "Disagree" war with you. Clearly were both disagree with each-others position on this one issue.

I suggest to anyone else to speak with your insurance provider before coming to a conclusion on this issue.

Now.. back to the issue at hand... Insurance quotes!

• Disagree
Reactions: Struja
I have had this discussion with both Belair Direct, The Personal, and Johnson insurance. They all said that if you take advantage of the winter tire discount, and if you get into an accident between the specified dates and do not have the tires, that gives them an out.

Look.. I don't want to get into a "Disagree" war with you. Clearly were both disagree with each-others position on this one issue.

I suggest to anyone else to speak with your insurance provider before coming to a conclusion on this issue.

Now.. back to the issue at hand... Insurance quotes!

If I capitulated everytime an insurer told me "they thought they had an out", I'd be out of business. Suffice it to say, I have litigated similar issues many times and it has been very rare, absent some very compelling evidence that an insurer can void a policy and take an off coverage position. I am not saying impossible, just unlikely absent compelling evidence.