Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been with geico for 3+ years of owning a tesla, for me they offered the best rates.
you need to realize that getting insurance is a very personalized thing, what I or anyone else pays is not always relevant because there are many factors that affect the rates you pay.

some factors include, how many miles a year you will be driving, will the car be used to commute in or other business activities, where you live, your driving record, level of coverage and even your credit score.
the best advice would be to shop around and search for the best deal for YOUR situation.

Reactions: Larry Chanin
you need to realize that getting insurance is a very personalized thing, what I or anyone else pays is not always relevant because there are many factors that affect the rates you pay.

some factors include, how many miles a year you will be driving, will the car be used to commute in or other business activities, where you live, your driving record, level of coverage and even your credit score.
the best advice would be to shop around and search for the best deal for YOUR situation.

This is very good advice.

I am a trial lawyer that spends considerable amount of time representing individuals whose insurance companies have abandoned them. While I fully understand that most folks go with the least expensive insurance available, I can say unequivocally that Geico is the worst insurance company to have when you need your insurance company to protect you from a claim against your assets. Of the other major carriers (pretty much all the sub-carriers are terrible), Progressive and AllState are probably tied for second worst.

Of course, that begs the question as to which carriers are some of the best. This is where it becomes very personal, but from my experience Chubb is one of the best carrier. USAA does a pretty good job as well.

I am a trial lawyer that spends considerable amount of time representing individuals whose insurance companies have abandoned them. While I fully understand that most folks go with the least expensive insurance available, I can say unequivocally that Geico is the worst insurance company to have when you need your insurance company to protect you from a claim against your assets. Of the other major carriers (pretty much all the sub-carriers are terrible), Progressive and AllState are probably tied for second worst.

Of course, that begs the question as to which carriers are some of the best. This is where it becomes very personal, but from my experience Chubb is one of the best carrier. USAA does a pretty good job as well.
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your feedback.

As you may be aware Tesla is in the insurance business in Asia. At the earnings call Jon McNeill revealed this fact and stated that if insurance premiums didn't accurately reflect the true risk of driving a Tesla, that Tesla would expand this program into North America. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Larry

I have USAA. Thanks for the info Todd.

I wasn't thrilled with them when I had some minor work done on my Range Rover. They didn't consider it anything more special than a Dodge. In fact, they wanted me to get it repaired at a Dodge dealer. I wanted to take it to a body shop that specializes in higher end cars (Fantastic Finishes). I ended up having to pay the difference in labor rates out of pocket on top of my deductible.

The good news is that now I have 2 Teslas and Fantastic Finishes is the certified Tesla repair center so if god forbid I need body work I know it'll be done right.

107 month full coverage usaa for a P90DL

$107/month? Can you elaborate a little more on what exactly "full coverage" means? Are you carrying $1,000,000 in bodily injury and uninsured motorist, $500k in property damage, Rental reimbursement, and $500 deductibles? Would you care to share your age and driving history? County of residence?

I'm paying about $160/month for each of my Teslas ($320 total). The new Model X is actually a little cheaper than the 2yr old Model S.

$300,000/$500,000 Bodily Injury and Uninsured Motorist

$100k Property Damage

$500 Deductible

Rental Car reimbursement

No tickets for either of us. We're both 43yrs old. Reside in West Palm Beach. Impeccable credit scores.

No accident claims. I did have a small comprehensive claim but that did not affect my rate. This was confirmed by USAA.

Drive <$9,000 miles a year

I just, literally today, went from ~20 years with Safeco to PEMCO. What started me looking was >90% rate hike, was justified as due to WA state rate increases - this turned out to be BS and then had them dancing for the next 3 weeks. Net net I have more coverage for less money than I was paying previously from Safeco. When I started talking to folk, Safeco have been supposedly nickel and diming body shops and both they, and I, detest that behavior.
Every body shop appears to like PEMCO, and as they did me such a service, I also moved my houses insurance, increased my coverage, and got an addition umbrella policy, for less overall money. So done with Safeco.

I would be remiss at this point if I didn't put my consumer protection hat on and remind everyone to purchase uninsured motorists coverage (stacked if you can afford it). It is probably preaching to the choir with Tesla Owners/appreciators, but I sometimes have trouble keeping my mouth shut (guess I picked the right profession - LOL).

• Informative
Reactions: Racerx22b
@Racerx22b
Lots of questions. Lol
Basically all the same except 100/300.

Been a member with usaa for 33 years. I am only 43 so yes been a member that long. :)
So far perfect record with the and accident forgives if I need it.

I have insurance on 5 cars. You can log in to the website and play with the features. Pretty cool like if your car is totaled they will pay you 20% more than market value. That is only 7 bucks a month.

Side note
If I wanted 300/500 my policy only goes up 50 dollars a month (divided my 5 cars, that's only 10 dollars a car)

Last edited:
@Racerx22b
Lots of questions. Lol
Basically all the same except 100/300.

Been a member with usaa for 33 years. I am only 43 so yes been a member that long. :)
So far perfect record with the and accident forgives if I need it.

I have insurance on 5 cars. You can log in to the website and play with the features. Pretty cool like if your car is totaled they will pay you 20% more than market value. That is only 7 bucks a month.

Side note
If I wanted 300/500 my policy only goes up 50 dollars a month (divided my 5 cars, that's only 10 dollars a car)

What county do you live in?

North area. Not west Palm lol. I used to live in Wellington. To many people for me.
I don't like giving to much detailso out :) it's not a big city.

I understand. Just trying to make a comparison. If you lived in the middle of nowhereville FL than your rate difference would make more sense. But being in the same county, and with all other things being equal, it seems odd we are paying roughly $50/month more than you per vehicle.

I understand. Just trying to make a comparison. If you lived in the middle of nowhereville FL than your rate difference would make more sense. But being in the same county, and with all other things being equal, it seems odd we are paying roughly $50/month more than you per vehicle.
I just added that 20% and did raise property so it did drive it up some closer to yours. I was at 1000 as every fender/ wheel would be 1k as is. So changed to 500 Plus forgiveness anyhow. So now in 140s. Should make you feel better :)