Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance rate increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine jumped from $75 with a 99 score to $124 with a 98 score on 6 month renewal starting in October. I did do a lot more driving than the last period but that is a huge increase.
You might want to contact them and ask about the increase, because you may have also lost the Tesla employee discount a lot of us apparently had. But yeah, I definitely do not like the idea of Tesla Insurance using the Safety Score to determine our premiums because the algorithm is flawed. You score can go down do to other driver behaviors, like someone cutting you off causing you to brake and swerve quickly.

Ah, thanks for this info. I had the opposite. My rates went up to $93 - $98... because I put slightly over 6000 miles in the previous 6 months. My last month was 259 miles. Sigh. Anyway, I guess I'll need to wait 6 months to try to get the lower rates.
You may not have to wait 6 month. I recall that after they increased my premium for the same reason, I was able to go back into the app and estimate a lower miles level, and shave off some of the premium increase. I chose a level that was midpoint between my previous estimate and what Tesla estimated when they raised my premium.

Why have a car if you can't drive it much due to the high insurance rates? Uber it. Just like trying to make the cut for the "safe driver" rates.
Why pay for a fast car to drive slow? I've driven on the track and driven on the street. I drive fast, as due about 80% of the drivers on I-95. I haven't had a ticket or accident in over 40 years. I would posit that driving the speed limit on I-95 or most other highways, even in the slow lane could make you more of a safety hazard. Driving with insurance monitoring is like driving with your mother in the passenger's seat. Have at it if it makes you smile.
Speed is not a main factor or a direct factor for safety scores. Based on my experience, you can drive the car like you normally would and expect to pay the same insurance as you normally would with other providers. May be lesser, may be more in some individual circumstances. However, the combination of Safety Score displayed on the map and the immediately feedback of premiums going down or up at the end of the month, psychologically programs a lot of us to get the best scores and the lowest premiums. I can objectively say that following the Tesla Safety Score guidelines makes me a less risky driver.

I’ve been a policy holder for well over a year. My Tesla insurance premium abruptly jumped 12% this month. Spoke to customer service and they told me this was due to a discount that was incorrectly applied to my account and that the new rate reflected the correct cost. Now paying $144/mo for basic coverage. Anyone else experience this?
Mine will go up from $153 to $210 with a 99 score from next month. Model Y 2022 in Colorado. I called Tesla and they said my price was based on the mileage when I drive 12000miles per year but they think I am expected to drive more than 12000 miles per year. (7700miles for 5 1/2 months currently) So I am moving back to Geico. They are cheaper and I don’t have to worry about the score.

Reactions: Fairchild
Mine will go up from $153 to $210 with a 99 score from next month. Model Y 2022 in Colorado. I called Tesla and they said my price was based on the mileage when I drive 12000miles per year but they think I am expected to drive more than 12000 miles per year. (7700miles for 5 1/2 months currently) So I am moving back to Geico. They are cheaper and I don’t have to worry about the score.
They expect you to drive more than 12,000 miles?! So apparently then we have to call then annually to see what mileage they are using and get them to adjust it accordingly. This is crap!

You know we have a bumper sticker in Florida that says, "When I get old, I'm gonna move up North and drive slow."
I grew up in South Florida and lived in Central Florida for a couple of decades. I think the more accurate phrase is: “When I get old, I’m gonna move up North and drive slow in the left lane with my blinker on.”

Things like that always start out grand with Tesla. Free supercharging for life, free garage link, free real time navigation and entertainment and then BAM!, all of a sudden you find out you have an electric car without a charging cord!

I was considering inviting Tesla insurance and big brother into my life, but I suspected that after a year of grandpa driving I might get that dreaded notice:

"We regret to inform you that, effective yesterday, your monthly premium has been raised by $90."

"Why, I might ask?"

"Well, we noted that last Thursday you were wearing green socks and you were listening to Elton John."

Every 6 months they adjust the base price of the premium. I have been with them for a year and increased twice, for me it is still considerably cheaper than Progressive and Amica that I used before, but I really hate the score and the self imposed to use AP 100% of the time to keep the high score and low premium, it dull my senses and joy to drive.

Progressive was wanting me to pay $213/month for insurance and starting Telsa Insurance they're just asking for $107/month. I suppose we'll see how much it changes, but that's too large a difference to ignore for the time being. Same/better coverage.

After being on hold for over 30 minutes I was able to talk to someone at Tesla Insurance to find out about why my premium increased twice in 6 months. In July of this year Tesla Insurance removed an employee discount and said they wanted everyone to have it but that California made them remove the discount for customers in this state because the wording said it was for employees and I, as well as many others weren't employees. Then starting in Jan of 2023 they're removing a verified mileage enrollment discount because California doesn't allow auto insurance mileage to be tracked for insurance. This was another discount Tesla wanted us in this state to have but are not allowed to give it and Tesla won't accept user given mileages, like other auto insurance companies here do, as they want real mileage numbers. They also said that anyone in California voluntarily using the Safety Score would have no effect on their premiums because again, California doesn't allow it. There are some people claiming their rates went up or down while using the Safety Score in California but Tesla Insurance said some other factors made that happen, not the Safety Score.

So now while I've been against the Safety Score thing and was glad California doesn't allow it, I'm thinking maybe we do need it here as we've lost discounts without it. And since I put very little miles on my Model 3 using it would most likely lower my premiums. I would just hope it gets tweaked enough not to ding drivers for realistic conditions.

One more thing, they did admit that since taking over Tesla Insurance from a third party insurance company, it's not easy for us to make changes to our coverages online or on the App. Used to be we could see what the changes would do to our premium, now we have to actually call them, which is a pain because there are long hold times. This surprises me that Tesla as Elon has stated, is a software company, that this hasn't been fixed.