Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance rate increased. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Geico bill went up from $1240 (paid Dec 2018) to $1350 (paid Jun 2019) for 6 months of coverage.

Full coverage on three vehicles total:
  • 2013 RAV4 ($1500 ded.)
  • 2011 BMW 3 Series ($1500 ded.)
  • 2018 Tesla Model 3 ($1000 ded.)
SoCal, two drivers, one just over 30, one just under 30.

Nothing close to the crazy increases I've been reading about recently (certainly before my latest bill came due). Hope the premiums hold for the next bill.

My progressive insurance rates went up this year for renewal in august in additional $140 every 6 months from $939 to $1079- Their excuse was that California is an expensive place to insure your Tesla.

I used to be insured by state farm but Progressive is still the cheapest insurance company that offers $1900-$2200 a year compared to other insurance companies.

This company is especially lenient to traffic violators and under 30 - Otherwise, I would probably be spending less!

Mine went up quite a bit, but I was expecting that since it's a brand new car and much more valuable than my Leaf was. Your collision insurance is ALWAYS going to go up when you get a more expensive car because the possible loss the insurance company could have is higher. Usually your insurance will start to drop eventually as the car becomes less valuable with age unless there are other circumstances in play like the that model turns out to have more wrecks, costs more to fix, your location has a higher accident rate, you start getting more tickets, etc... or just general rate increases. There are a ton of factors that insurance companies use to rate cars. More than I want to write about.

Reactions: Kleenerth3