Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Rate Went Up Because There is No Proof of AEB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My insurance came up for renewal and I was surprised to see the monthly charge go up by $60. I called and asked what the reason was and the agent said:

"We have to raise your monthly premium because we do not have any proof that your car has AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking)."

I told her that all Model S comes with this as standard and the agent said to provide proof on your bill of sale and we will reduce the premium.

I checked my bill of sale and AEB is not listed. I reached out to Tesla and I am just getting the run around with them and its been over a month and no one from Tesla has yet to respond to me with an answer.

Anyone else experience this? My insurance provider is Aviva (Previously RBC).

Anyone show anything within their documents that shows the car has AEB?

So weird. $60 a month difference is a lot! I have two cars insured: my model 3 and a 2003 cheapo car, which clearly doesn't have AEB (pretty sure no ABS either) and they cost about the same to insure.

not sure who your insured with but if its RBC/Aviva watch out on your next renewal as the agent told me on the phone they are cracking down on people providing them false information and now want proof for all features on the car. they said the AEB discount on a car is about 15% - 20%

Show them page 103 of the owners manual:

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 11.59.43 AM.png

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: bpjod and akaluana
Aaah.. so it will always brake when it is way too late?

That at least would confirm my own experience as I've never seen it activated.

I guess except for the case where you're driving between 10km/h and 50km/h. Then it seems like it will do a full stop.

Over 50km/h it just decreases your speed by 50 km/h.

I guess it doesn't do a full stop when driving faster because it could cause a bad accident on a false positive. If you're driving at 100 km/h and it triggers by mistake and does a full stop it might cause an accident. Even if it's not a false positive depending on how fast it brakes it could cause you to get rear ended.