Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance rates on the raise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like it is based on fact. AAA is not the only insurer that has been struggling with how to underwrite this vehicle which is clearly in a class by itself. IMO, people are taking risks using AP that they would never rationally do. I am sure this is a part of it. Tesla has not helped themselves with their lack of repair network, and excessive wait for replacement parts. This will get better though.

This is not an attack on AP...Clearly AP has prevented many serious accidents, but there are reports readily availably how it may have contributed to accidents that would have never occurred if the driver was in full control. Example, driving right into temporary lane dividers.

I think you are jumping to conclusions with not enough data. Yes, there have been some accidents caused by AP but likely others that were avoided. We don't know AP led to a net increase in claims.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the increased claim rate is mostly (if not entirely) a function of the high cost of Tesla repairs. Minor repairs that would be less than or just over the deductible and be paid out of pocket on other vehicles are likely translating to insurance claims on Teslas.

I think you are jumping to conclusions with not enough data. Yes, there have been some accidents caused by AP but likely others that were avoided. We don't know AP led to a net increase in claims.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the increased claim rate is mostly (if not entirely) a function of the high cost of Tesla repairs. Minor repairs that would be less than or just over the deductible and be paid out of pocket on other vehicles are likely translating to insurance claims on Teslas.

Which is exactly why I stated that it was my opinion. There are many factors. Remember when the X was first launched? There were several stories of people driving into their garages with the doors open as well as a report about a FWD getting wrecked in a weirdly angled parking garage. These were most certainly not cheap repairs and with a small sample base skews the data.

What other vehicles on the road really are Tesla's peers? Who should they be compared against? Is it even possible to do this statistically or are insurance companies reacting prematurely? What should Tesla be doing about this?

A complex car with new technology and the lack of repair infrastructure and repair parts most certainly contributed to this also. I would not be quick to minimize AP technology at this point though. The technology is still in its infancy and as they say, every failure leads to a success so it will get better in the future I am sure. This is not totally Tesla's fault as certainly some owners are using the tech for what it was not intended for at this point and in some instances are indeed to complacent. There are several examples in these forums.

Last edited:
State Farm increased the rates on all four vehicles I have insured with them this year by around 20%. They said it was an across the board rate adjustment. I haven't had any accidents / tickets / etc. that would have caused my rates to go up.

I have thought about shopping around, but honestly the service I get and the relationship I have with my SF agent is worth more than a few hundred bucks a year in savings.

Genuine question here...when you mention the relationship you have with your agent, could you explain what the benefit to that is? Do they help you at all during the claims process should you find yourself in one? Or are they merely helpful on the sales side?

Thanks!

State Farm increased the rates on all four vehicles I have insured with them this year by around 20%. They said it was an across the board rate adjustment. I haven't had any accidents / tickets / etc. that would have caused my rates to go up.

I have thought about shopping around, but honestly the service I get and the relationship I have with my SF agent is worth more than a few hundred bucks a year in savings.

they hit me with a big increase as well (before i even got the Tesla). I jumped over to Liberty Mutual and literally cut my premium in half.

Genuine question here...when you mention the relationship you have with your agent, could you explain what the benefit to that is? Do they help you at all during the claims process should you find yourself in one? Or are they merely helpful on the sales side?

Thanks!

They help me with anything I need.

I have home, auto, life, umbrella and some special property coverage (jewelry) with them. Anything I need, I just email them and they make sure it gets taken care of.

If I buy a new car, I just email them and they take care of adding it to my policy. If I get into an accident, there isn't any sitting on hold or anything like that, I just email them and the adjuster calls me and lets me know what I need to do. The last accident I had (someone rear-ended me) all I had to do was send them an email, the adjuster called me and got the details and then I took my car to the body shop and picked it up when it was ready.

If I need to change something on one of my other policies (like a beneficiary or something), I just email them and they send me the exact forms I need and even fill out whatever they can for me.

My wife accidentally flushed her engagement ring down the toilet in a hotel once. I emailed my agent, she had an adjuster call me and all we had to do was pick out the replacement stone and setting and they took care of the rest. Super easy.

I might find service like that with another insurance company, but I would have to start the relationship from scratch. I've been with my current agent for over a decade.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
I moved my 4 vehicles and 2 motorcycles to AAA last year and when I added my Tesla half way through the first year, my premium literally doubled. My 2nd year renewal is coming up and I am seriously thinking about switching companies. I've had no accidents and no issues with the only change being the addition of the Tesla. So yes, the Tesla was definitely an eye-opener for me in terms of insurance cost.

These sky-high Tesla premiums are not necessarily representative of the insurance market. I have USAA and its premium for my 2015 P85D Ludicrous is proportionally comparable to my wife's 2013 Prius.

Agreed, even with the increase to my rates this year I still only pay $723.51 / 6 months for my P100D with $250k / $500k coverage and a $1k deductible. Excess liability in excess of my coverage limits is covered by an umbrella policy.

Since you haven't had any accidents, then you might re-evaluate the value of your relationship with your agent when you do have an accident. You won't be dealing with that person. You get passed off to a hard-nosed remote adjuster that you will only be able to talk to on the phone at ANY insurance company. To me, that relationship has no value :(

Since you haven't had any accidents, then you might re-evaluate the value of your relationship with your agent when you do have an accident. You won't be dealing with that person. You get passed off to a hard-nosed remote adjuster that you will only be able to talk to on the phone at ANY insurance company. To me, that relationship has no value :(

Over the 10 years I've been with State Farm I've dealt with 3 accidents, just haven't had any recently. Two times someone rear-ended me and State Farm handled everything then recovered from the other person's insurance. Super easy. The other time my Mom was in an accident that was her fault (she's on my policy) and they handled that one as well. My agent helped me on all of those, and the adjusters were great too although I barely spoke to them. I mainly dealt with my agent and the repair shop.

It may be that you get a higher level of service when you spend $1,000 / month on insurance between all my various policies.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
Over the 10 years I've been with State Farm I've dealt with 3 accidents, just haven't had any recently. Two times someone rear-ended me and State Farm handled everything then recovered from the other person's insurance. Super easy. The other time my Mom was in an accident that was her fault (she's on my policy) and they handled that one as well. My agent helped me on all of those, and the adjusters were great too although I barely spoke to them. I mainly dealt with my agent and the repair shop.
Then you have an unusually good agent according to my wife:). Stick with it.

A strange coincidence is that I was at a Tesla approved body shop the day before this article came out and was chatting up one of the office workers while waiting for my rental.

I asked her what insurance companies were the best to deal with as a body shop. She told me that a couple had already dropped Tesla and would not insure them because they seem to get into more accidents and cost a lot more than other vehicles to repair.

I was shocked and happy to learn that my new 2017 Tesla Model X100D, which is fully loaded except for 22" wheels, has a $16 lower rate of insurance than my 2012 Audi S5 Cabriolet, including my > doubling expected driving kilometers per year. The rate is US$799 per year, or CDN$1,079. Again, new Tesla Model X is over double the MSRP of the 6 year old Audi S5 Cabriolet. It is the same insurace company, which is among the most respectable and dependable in Canada.