TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance recommendations - DFW area

Discussion in 'Texas' started by hulk2k17, Jul 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Prospective MS buyer, first time poster.

I've been doing my homework and received a quote from my current insurance agent (Farmers) for ~$2300 / 6 months for 100/300/100 coverage on JUST the MS. This seems awfully high to me but I don't have any frame of reference.

Is this a reasonable quote? If not, can someone comment on what a reasonable price (range) should be? Also recommendations for a different insurance provider/agent are also appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I wouldn't call that reasonable. Unfortunately you are going to have to get quotes from everyone to find a decent rate. Tesla coverage pricing varies so much. Try Costco if their insurance dealer, Ameriprise, is available in your state. USAA if you are eligible.

• Like x 1
  3. JasJ

JasJ Member

In Houston I pay 1/4 of that with Amica for higher limits on our MS. We do have another car and home policy also with AMICA. Can't imagine Dallas is more than Houston - we have tons of uninsured here.

• Like x 1
  4. Boourns

Boourns Member

That seems high. With GEICO I pay about $950 per 6 months for the S. I have a 2012 S bought as a CPO. If you're quoting a brand new P100D, the much higher value of the car will affect your rate.

5. zkmusa

zkmusa Member

I don't have a Tesla yet, but I find Amica's auto rates to be very competitive in Dallas. We also have homeowner's insurance with them. Service is excellent.

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

In my opinion, it is so hard to compare insurance rates between people. There are some many variables between individuals that it is really hard to get apple to apple comparison. Age, credit history, past driving record, married or single, any kids of driving age, etc all come into play.

Without knowing more specific details in your situation, that quote seems ridiculously high. Should be half that.

7. 8lincoln30

8lincoln30 Member

I live just south of downtown Fort Worth -- in a still-iffy, gentrifying neighborhood -- late 30's single male with excellent credit and no tickets or accidents on my record in the past decade or so. Progressive charges me $802 for six months for my 90D. 100/300/100 with $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive. Several other companies quoted me relatively obscene prices. Shop around.

I agree with Zaphod's assessment, though, hard to get apples-to-apples comparison on insurance.

8. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. AAA seems pretty good. Progressive was also good but I've read that they're customer service isn't great and trying to file a claim is like pulling teeth.

9. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I personally find it all but impossible comparing insurance between folks or even when comparison shopping for yourself. All the companies get the same history and credit scores from me. Still the cost varies by 30-40% and more. I don't think it is possible to figure out.

I am currently with Amica and I had relatively good rates (including the MS) with homeowners and autos... for now. I expect to be shopping around every couple years.

10. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

By the looks of it AAA is the winner for me about ~$1500 annually. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now I just gotta order my MS.

11. Boourns

Boourns Member

Did you have to have a separate inspection and a minimum $2000 deductible on the S. AAA is telling me that.

12. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

I didn't. I told them I was a prospective buyer of the MS and was looking for a quote. On their site I recall they didn't have 2017 as a model year, so I chose 2016 and opted for a $500 deductible. An agent reached out to me and said for the MS, $2000 was the lowest deductible they allowed.

• Informative x 1
  13. ttu94

ttu94 Member

That seems high. We have excellent credit (848), but also a teenager and are paying 2600 for 12 months. Note, half the premium is for the 2015 Tesla S70 and the other half is for the other two cars.

14. BrettReed

BrettReed Member

As a rule of thumb, you should plan on getting at least five quotes from different insurance companies. You can call agents in your area, contact the companies directly, or apply online. Mine is currently working on this coverage from the recommended site for you. They provided with a quiet decent and affordable coverage for my budget.

Bodily Injury $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident
    Personal Injury Protection $2,500 per person
    Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists
    Bodily Injury $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident
    Property Damage $100,000 per accident- $250 deductible
    Physical Damage Comprehensive - $50 deductible

15. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Yeah. I got quotes from Progressive, AllState, AAA, USAA (didn't qualify), Farmers, Amica, State Farm, and Liberty Mutual. I'd love to know which company you're working with for that coverage.

I ended up with AAA given their reputation and cost albeit the deductible is rather high.

Thanks

16. Boourns

Boourns Member

We've had GEICO for a few years now, and recently have been getting quotes from Allstate, since that is who insured our home. Until recently, Allstate was always higher, even with the multi-policy discount. But just the other day I had them quote us again and now they came back about $200 cheaper per 6 months than GEICO. So I guess the moral of the story is even if you have gotten a quote once it may pay to circle back after a while.