Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance rejecting rates for Tesla approved body shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, hope you’re all staying safe!

Was rear ended, and the other driver’s insurance has accepted liability.

Thought it would be a good idea to go through my insurance to take care of the repair. Went to an Tesla approved body shop and sent the estimate to the adjuster, who then communicated that the rate they were charging was too high since the damage didn’t involve sheet metal. They communicated it back to the shop, who then said that was the rate they charge for Tesla repairs regardless of the type of work, and suggested to the adjuster to help me find another Tesla approved body shop.

I’m confused as to why the adjuster (from my insurance) wanted to negotiate the rate since the other party has accepted liability. Anyone care to shed any light on this? Any ideas on how to move forward? Scratching my head...

Reactions: Gasaraki
The adjuster at your insurance company doesn’t know what they are doing. Tesla body shops do charge more, and it’s the at fault party’s responsibility to pay anyway. So your adjuster is just arguing for the sake of arguing. They likely have no experience with Tesla repairs.

I would just quickly call one or two other Tesla shops, or just call a Tesla body shop directly, and ask what their hourly rates are. Then go back to the adjuster with this information and tell them to submit the estimate to the at fault party’s insurance company and get things moving.

Reactions: Gasaraki and Phlier
Hi all, hope you’re all staying safe!

Was rear ended, and the other driver’s insurance has accepted liability.

Thought it would be a good idea to go through my insurance to take care of the repair. Went to an Tesla approved body shop and sent the estimate to the adjuster, who then communicated that the rate they were charging was too high since the damage didn’t involve sheet metal. They communicated it back to the shop, who then said that was the rate they charge for Tesla repairs regardless of the type of work, and suggested to the adjuster to help me find another Tesla approved body shop.

I’m confused as to why the adjuster (from my insurance) wanted to negotiate the rate since the other party has accepted liability. Anyone care to shed any light on this? Any ideas on how to move forward? Scratching my head...

I had something which I suppose was similar years ago. USAA is my carrier. The adjuster negotiated lower rates with the Tesla approved body shop to save the company money.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Don't fall victim of the adjuster's tactics, it's his job to save money for the insurance. Tell him to go *sugar* in a hat and that it is your right to have your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice. As a matter of fact, you should try and find one that will cover your deductible.

Reactions: vickh
Did the liable driver have the same insurance company as you did? That may explain the lowballing. I don't know the insurance laws (logically even if both drivers had the same company, the adjuster is supposed to be working for you at getting it fixed, not trying to lowball like would be expected of the opposing party).

Did the liable driver have the same insurance company as you did? That may explain the lowballing. I don't know the insurance laws (logically even if both drivers had the same company, the adjuster is supposed to be working for you at getting it fixed, not trying to lowball like would be expected of the opposing party).

yes this is a plausible dual agent scenario

Other party is at fault. Their insurance is different from mine. The person from my insurance company who reviewed the estimate was technically the “appraiser” who said that the “body” labor rate for removing/installing a part is ~50 vs the auto body shops flat rate of ~120

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
A Tesla approved shop cannot charge whatever they feel like without payor recourse. The insurance industry solves this by determining local fair rates.

The important distinction here is that the fair determination has to amongst Tesla approved shops.

Good point, but the key thing here is OP's own agent seems to be arguing against them.

Good point, but the key thing here is OP's own agent seems to be arguing against them.
Maybe ... or the insurance agent is pointing out (perhaps incorrectly) that the Tesla owner will be on the hook for the difference between what he thinks are excessive, and local rates.

The only way to know is to find out what the local, fair rates are for this type of Tesla repair. I'm reasonably sure that means the going rates at Tesla approved shops.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh
Don't fall victim of the adjuster's tactics, it's his job to save money for the insurance. Tell him to go *sugar* in a hat and that it is your right to have your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice. As a matter of fact, you should try and find one that will cover your deductible.

While that is true in CA, it may not be true in the OP's state of residence.