Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3LR previously with LV. LV quote approx £100 less than last year. Churchill beat it by £100. Slightly lower excess by £50 12k miles annually. Retired couple. No other cars, bikes or motorhome this time. Protected a NCD, legal cover and car hire. £495

• Informative
Reactions: navt
Just going through the motions to renew my insurance now. Last year it was £870, but now, all the quotes Im getting are over £1k, which includes DL, LV, CH etc.

I have got no points, speeding or claims, so I really cannot workout, why it is so high. I have a 69 plate Long Range.

I assume from reading other threads most people are getting quotes around the £600-800 mark.

Any others I should try?

I managed to get £412 for my 2018 S from Privilege.com through GoCompare (and their £250 excess policy) with £500 voluntary (£700 total) excess after their lock-down refund, might be worth a try. Also try to get quotes at around the 22–24 day before start date, as that is weighted heavily.

I managed to get £412 for my 2018 S from Privilege.com after their lock-down refund, might be worth a try. Also try to get quotes at around the 22–24 day before start date, as that is weighted heavily.

I have just saved £200 by moving away from Privilege. Renewal offered was £570 but Direct Line (who own Privilege) offered £360 inc NCB protection via the Tesla/DL scheme here - https://www.directline.com/tesla

Reactions: chr15toffer
Just tested the DirectLine link and it was £490 for me. Low annual mileage, long NCB, default excess (£350). I get penalised due to location & higher age group.

But I got a slightly lower quote from Churchill online before. Also many say if you phone Churchill after getting a quote online they will take off another 5%-10% for Tesla Autoplilot

Followed the Direct Line link and tried it out of curiosity, ‘sorry we can’t provide a quote online or over the phone’ doesn’t explain why of course and any attempt to try and modify the details dumps you in an empty quote form, utterly useless!

I managed to get £412 for my 2018 S from Privilege.com through GoCompare (and their £250 excess policy) with £500 voluntary (£700 total) excess after their lock-down refund, might be worth a try. Also try to get quotes at around the 22–24 day before start date, as that is weighted heavily.
My X100D is due for renewal on the 28th. Premium jumped last year from £847 to £1080. No claims or anything and 21 years NCD.

It’s time to go insurance shopping I think.

It is a real mess. Was with LV last year £460 on my P-. The renewal came through at £680? Shopped around and AA were cheapest at £485. Then changed the car for an LR still before renewing insurance...LV went up to £1250? I spoke to them and said that you are quoting twice the price for an LR as a P. Spoke to numerous levels in LV - they just dont understand the car. DL quoted £950, Churchill after a conversation agreed to do it for £620. Tesla were out of the park! I am retired with almost 50 years no claims!

Reactions: Sean.
It is a real mess. Was with LV last year £460 on my P-. The renewal came through at £680? Shopped around and AA were cheapest at £485. Then changed the car for an LR still before renewing insurance...LV went up to £1250? I spoke to them and said that you are quoting twice the price for an LR as a P. Spoke to numerous levels in LV - they just dont understand the car. DL quoted £950, Churchill after a conversation agreed to do it for £620. Tesla were out of the park! I am retired with almost 50 years no claims!
I agree. Insurance has completely gone mad this year. I had to insure a new bike the other week. I’ve been riding since my early twenties and I’m now in my late forties, premiums have gone mental. Insurers have become so risk averse it’s bonkers. No wonder the bike market in this country is fudged. Sign of the times. Hell in a hand basket.

For those that have not received the letter from Direct Line, or simply forgotten about it, Direct Line are doing 'Mileage Moneyback' at 2% per 1000 miles not driven (max 10,000 miles).

Signing up is easy at https://directline.com/mileage-moneyback and to apply for a refund at https://directline.com/lockdown-car-insurance-refunds

Other insurers have offered similar refunds

I've just got a quote from Churchill for £383 which seems incredibly good, I am currently with Direct Line and went through the same exercise with them and its £439 for the coming year (that's Direct Line / Tesla specific quote) so i'll probably phone DL and see if they can match (or get near) the Churchill price.
M3 Performance.