Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there is about a 12£ difference between Admiral (my current insurer) and LV.

Policy wise the biggest difference I can see if glass replacement Admiral is £115 & LV £190. Also like LVs Vandalism promise, as I already have paranoia about scrotes keying it or something (don't live in a bad area) Both seem to cover any cable theft / claims etc

M3P 10k per year. NCD not protected.

Any reason to pick one over the other? Also do people get Motor Legal - Heard a horror story of someone who didn't have it so always bought it now. Assume its not covered by home legal cover.

I'm with LV and they've quoted me £498 for a M3 SR+ based on me doing a new quote as they won't let me change the car without a Registration without charging me a £15 'admin' fee. VIN's accepted but only via Chat & Phone and an admin fee..

Looks like I'll be doing it online on the day of pickup and I bet they can't start it on the day and charge me £15 anyway...

Anyone else had this kind of issue?

I'm with LV and they've quoted me £498 for a M3 SR+ based on me doing a new quote as they won't let me change the car without a Registration without charging me a £15 'admin' fee. VIN's accepted but only via Chat & Phone and an admin fee..

Looks like I'll be doing it online on the day of pickup and I bet they can't start it on the day and charge me £15 anyway...

Anyone else had this kind of issue?
How Strange your experience with LV.
I too am with LV and about 6 weeks ago I bought an M3P, a few days prior to collecting I contacted LV and they just quoted me an additional £28 to pay for the remaining three months my insurance runs for to cover the Tesla, covered my last car and the Tesla for the day of collection which made things easy, No admin fee charged and the email they sent me indicated if I was to start a fresh 12 months cover the price on that day would have been £333.
The process was completely painless.

How Strange your experience with LV.
I too am with LV and about 6 weeks ago I bought an M3P, a few days prior to collecting I contacted LV and they just quoted me an additional £28 to pay for the remaining three months my insurance runs for to cover the Tesla, covered my last car and the Tesla for the day of collection which made things easy, No admin fee charged and the email they sent me indicated if I was to start a fresh 12 months cover the price on that day would have been £333.
The process was completely painless.
They didn’t charge me an admin fee as I was cancellling my old policy and creating a new one so as long as you remain a customer they waive it. The reason I got a new policy was because they wanted to charge me another £300 to change cars. It was cheaper by £160 to create a new policy.
I’ve been with LV for years so I was disappointed with this weird quote.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Insurance Renewal Pricey" - please use existing threads if possible

Hi all

Just had my renewal through for my M3P

10 years N.C for me and the mrs, clean licences, etc, 786 for the year! More expensive than last year premium. Direct line coming in at a whopping 1300 quid and LV only one doing anywhere near 700.
Anyone having any luck getting bit better deals on insurance?

Last edited by a moderator:
the key word in there is "renewal" the law is changing (sadly) on fleecing existing customers but has not kicked in yet.
I had a quote last week for just over £600 on an LR for me and the missus with Churchill ( owned by DL of course)
you have not included your mileage and age which are key. I am 15K + late forties which may be the key difference. Always been in the low £600s

I received my renewal from DL four weeks prior to renewal and they had increased on last year by £140.00

Did the rounds on the search engines and the cheapest (Swinton) was around last years premium, made a few phone calls to sites not on the searches - result. Phoned DL to see if they would budge and a flat no from them. Left it a few days phoned to cancel the automatic renewal and they asked if they could quote again, but no improvement. Went back on the search engine (through Top Cashback) and lo and behold Sainsbury (who didn't originally offer) came in £180 below last years premium - so £320 below DL.

I deliberately searched originally the recommended 23 days before renewal date but by the time I did my final search it was only a week before it was due.

On one hand I'm delighted at the new price, on the other I'm confused by the best price being offered so close to renewal.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
the key word in there is "renewal" the law is changing (sadly) on fleecing existing customers but has not kicked in yet.
I had a quote last week for just over £600 on an LR for me and the missus with Churchill ( owned by DL of course)
you have not included your mileage and age which are key. I am 15K + late forties which may be the key difference. Always been in the low £600s
6k a year mate

It’s nowt eh