Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

insurance rules/change of car/ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange one. I have sold my car because i could get a better return than Tesla trade in. But now here comes the query. I am not picking up my Tesla till the 8th. Car sold on the 24th. Can i keep the insurance on my old car and just the insurers that there will be change of car from the 8th - bear in mind i no longer own the car on the policy?

The company say its fine as i have a 14 day grace period in which to cancel or change the policy but it doesn't sit right with me. Has anyone else heard of this.

I'm intrigued as the insurers only want £30 quid from me to update the policy to the Tesla.

So now I am confused of what to do. Pay the £30 and then find new quotes in February when up for renewal. Cancel my current policy and ge a refund and take out insurance with Direct Line and not have to worry about finding quotes in Feb as i know my renewal with the current firm will be massive as i asked them for new quote for a year and it was 3 times more than all the others.

so.

1. Can i keep my current policy active even when i no longer own the car but change the car to a tesla for the date i will pick it up.
1b. keep the current policy with change of car and find new insurance in feb
2. cancel it and just buy new insurance?

hope that makes sense.

thanks