Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Settlement question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, just throwing this out there for those who's been through this.

My car was damaged by a rogue trampoline from my neighbor that the wind uprooted from his yard and crashed it to my car that is parked in my driveway.

A liability claim was filed on my neighbor's home owner's insurance by him and I was asked to take pictures of the car and get estimates. The damage is a crushed windshield, bent and scratched up applique (black surface above the windshield), a chipped sunroof assembly and a baseball sized ding on my d/s door. In the end, pretty minimal and I'm glad no one was hurt and my neighbor is being a class act by ensuring I'm taken care of.

Estimate 1 came from Tesla and it's only for the glass damages since they don't do body work at that location. $3,100

Estimate 2 came from a Tesla certified auto body place.

Estimate 2 came very high at $5,500 for the baseball-size dent.

I'm concerned about painting and body work since I know for a fact they can never match it properly. A Tesla dismantler has a door from the same year, same color (2016, Flat White) that is in great condition with no dents or dings. I figured that's a better route since no painting and bondo will be involved. I told the body shop this but they're discouraging me and said their way is the way to go. (chepaer vs more expensive)

After 2 months of not being able to use my car, since the windshield crack had spread, the insurance finally came through and sent the check based on the quotes from Tesla and the body shop. Am I obliged to go through it with said body shop when I much prefer getting the used door and having Tesla service center install it for me? Of course, my way will also have money left over, which makes me feel a bit uneasy.

This is purely a naive question as I really don't know, but I'd like to see what the general consensus is from this group. Thanks!

Buying a used door has a similar or lower probability of matching your existing paint as having a capable body shop do a proper blend to the other panels. Even factory paint has variations in colors from batches made over the years also conditions like sun fade etc. I'm guessing a good shop should be able to remove most of the dent with minimal filler if even that. But if you think a full door replacement is your best option just don't expect a 100% paint match just because they are the "same color".

DavidB is correct, how you spend the insurance money is up to you once they have settled the claim.
It is mind numbing to know how many people spend the money on frivolous things—a vacation, a high end entertainment system, or whatever—and then complain to the insurance company that their car isn't repaired and that they need more money. Surprise! No more money.

Best paint match is the paint that is already on the car. If it truly is a “baseball-size ding” on your door, why not try a PDR, paintless dent repair? If the paint isn’t broken, it is amazing what a talented PDR artist can do to make the ding disappear. Also, PDR is a tiny fraction of cost of filler, sanding, paint, etc. repair. Not surprisingly, some body shops never recommend it because they don’t make money that way.

Reactions: DonE and brkaus
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I’m trying to avoid bondo. PDR won’t work unfortunately since there’s paint damage as well. Here are some pics of the damage.

F1F0C3DE-3DC1-47B6-9300-8586310592DF.jpeg

04F414B9-8905-41A6-BAA9-0A0B2EC09DE3.jpeg

A60AEDEF-0E15-424C-BB9E-D643ED6E6D0B.jpeg

Yes, PDR not an option there. I see an actual split in the metal.
Agreed that another door may or may not match. So many variables in painting that can affect the tint/hue one way or the other just a bit to be noticeable. Best to have a REALLY reputable shop handle and ensure they blend well.

Best paint match is the paint that is already on the car. If it truly is a “baseball-size ding” on your door, why not try a PDR, paintless dent repair? If the paint isn’t broken, it is amazing what a talented PDR artist can do to make the ding disappear. Also, PDR is a tiny fraction of cost of filler, sanding, paint, etc. repair. Not surprisingly, some body shops never recommend it because they don’t make money that way.

LOL, about 15 years ago my Dad’s Toyota PU was dinged in a parking lot. We took it to a body shop at got an estimate of over $1,000. My Dad said hell no and we started to leave. The shop owner said to wait. He came out with a long tool (pry bar?) and took the dent out for free. He did a great job too!