Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Total Loss P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just logged into Geico's website to review my policy and the valuation has been upped to $62,118.
It looks like they updated this on 4/2 but never told me.

The new comp sheet is still comparing the same 3 comps (but in different order) with original base valuation of $53,868 and now listing my car with SOME of my options. They are missing Pano roof, next gen seats, carbon fiber spoiler, center console and tinted windows. The first 2 items are on my build sheet which I texted to him and the other 3 I told him in the same text.

Right now there are 12 P85Ds with the + suspension listed for sale directly from Tesla.

View attachment 292444

You're also in a good spot because over the last two months, Tesla has significantly raised the prices of their CPO fleet for sale.

If @Russell would like access to all P85Ds sold on EV-CPO.com (archived/sold cars), please PM me for access.

Correct! There were no D cars in 2012.

Hi Hank, I will to take you up on your offer.

Would you or anybody know where I can get a list of options available to my car when originally sold?
I'm trying to find out if Extended Nappa Leather, Premium Interior Package or Premium Interior Lighting were paid options for P85Ds or were they bundled as part of a package.
Geico is trying to reduce the value of my car by $4,800 since I don't have those.

Would you or anybody know where I can get a list of options available to my car when originally sold?
I'm trying to find out if Extended Nappa Leather, Premium Interior Package or Premium Interior Lighting were paid options for P85Ds or were they bundled as part of a package.
Geico is trying to reduce the value of my car by $4,800 since I don't have those.

You can dig through the wayback machine on the old design studio. Most times it didn’t capture it, but sometimes it does. Did you ever find a window sticker? We have one for our 2015, but unfortunately it is in the glovebox and the car is at the service center for the next week.

Here is an example 90D window sticker that shows extended Napa leather and premium interior lighting included, so they were added to packages at some point.

B4C3C85D-8083-4133-A737-53077293B07F.jpeg

Edit: found a P85D example from a May 2015 build.

EDC7C6B4-DCD2-4549-98DF-B2732B8484F7.jpeg

Hi Hank, I will to take you up on your offer.

April 2015 when I was getting mine, Premium Interior Package was a $3.5K option which included extended napa leather (if you had leather seats and alcantara - leather seats were $2.5K and alcantara came standard with P85D). You should look at how much depreciation they claim on options, then reduce the comp value by that amount, not $4,800.

EDIT: I just checked and edited the above to reflect it. Here is the design studio screen if it helps you (ugh, I just looked and it seems picture this large gets degraded by TMC on upload - let me know if you want just the PIP closeup).
CompleteOrderPage.png

Last edited:
You can dig through the wayback machine on the old design studio. Most times it didn’t capture it, but sometimes it does. Did you ever find a window sticker? We have one for our 2015, but unfortunately it is in the glovebox and the car is at the service center for the next week.

Here is an example 90D window sticker that shows extended Napa leather and premium interior lighting included, so they were added to packages at some point.

Edit: found a P85D example from a May 2015 build.

I was able to get my window sticker from Tesla.
Thanks for the May sticker. More data points helps.

April 2015 when I was getting mine, Premium Interior Package was a $3.5K option which included extended napa leather (if you had leather seats and alcantara - leather seats were $2.5K and alcantara came standard with P85D). You should look at how much depreciation they claim on options, then reduce the comp value by that amount, not $4,800.

EDIT: I just checked and edited the above to reflect it. Here is the design studio screen if it helps you (ugh, I just looked and it seems picture this large gets degraded by TMC on upload - let me know if you want just the PIP closeup).

whitex, can you send the picture to me by email? I'll DM you my address. Thanks.

@OP

I've said this in several other threads so I don't want to go into a ton of detail again but basically (because i worked in this industry):

A.) CCC is not the "exclusive" vendor of Tesla's estimation services. Tell them you won't accept estimates not using "Audatex" (Tesla, AudaExplore announce partnership on collision estimating, customer service)

B.) Ask them to show you the comparable vehicles they used to arrive at your value. Additionally, ask the Tesla service center (or if you still have your original paperwork) to give you the VIN configuration sheet to give to the insurance comapny

C.) If you haven't been made whole and are not taking a rental, have them add the cost of a rental on top of TL check they eventually cut. 40-50K total loss seems like a very low threshold as well, this is what insurance companies get for using non-approved estimation vendors. May I ask what company? (AAA, USAA, Progressive come to mind)

View attachment 292556
For all interested, I posted the above Design Studio page image on google where it can be downloaded or zoomed to be readable.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yO73z5NoKZnPXMUL2

Since my last posting on Apr 8, there has been 3 revisions to the valuation report. Every week I had to sternly ask my adjustor to fix it. They, CCC Information Services, kept "neglecting" to add all of my options.

Friday Apr 27 it was finally done, $69,603. I told my adjustor I agreed to the valuation. He said he will prepare the paperwork and it should be ready for me to sign on Tuesday, May 1.

Tuesday comes and goes. Wednesday I called and left a message asking when the paperwork will be ready. I never received a call back.

Friday morning (May 4) I left a message again and sent a message through Geico's website.
That afternoon Geico called me, apologized for the adjustor not contacting me and then dials up the adjustor and connects me to him. He apologizes profusely and promises to get the valuation approved today and mentions 70 thousand is a big amount. Didn't get a call back from him that day. Nor Monday

Tuesday (May 8) I left a message asking when will it be ready, please call me back.

Today, Friday May 11 still nothing.

How long does this normally take?

How long has it taken you guys to get your checks?

Adding pressure to the situation, May 1st I put down a deposit for a CPO from Tesla and it's going to be ready next week.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Since my last posting on Apr 8, there has been 3 revisions to the valuation report. Every week I had to sternly ask my adjustor to fix it. They, CCC Information Services, kept "neglecting" to add all of my options.

Friday Apr 27 it was finally done, $69,603. I told my adjustor I agreed to the valuation. He said he will prepare the paperwork and it should be ready for me to sign on Tuesday, May 1.

Tuesday comes and goes. Wednesday I called and left a message asking when the paperwork will be ready. I never received a call back.

Friday morning (May 4) I left a message again and sent a message through Geico's website.
That afternoon Geico called me, apologized for the adjustor not contacting me and then dials up the adjustor and connects me to him. He apologizes profusely and promises to get the valuation approved today and mentions 70 thousand is a big amount. Didn't get a call back from him that day. Nor Monday

Tuesday (May 8) I left a message asking when will it be ready, please call me back.

Today, Friday May 11 still nothing.

How long does this normally take?

How long has it taken you guys to get your checks?

Adding pressure to the situation, May 1st I put down a deposit for a CPO from Tesla and it's going to be ready next week.

Wow, thanks for the warning about Geico and sorry you have to go through this. When my wife's MS was totaled in February, the longest delay was waiting for the only Tesla approved structural repair place in the area to do an appraisal. Once the car was determined a total loss, it took 2 conversations (on same day IIRC) with the adjuster to settle on the appraisal and less than a week for the check to be ready for pick up at a local State Farm office. It took a couple of weeks for the deductible check to be sent (since it was the other person's fault, proven by dashcam but the insurance company had to wait for the official police report). Car rental reimbursement was mailed a day or two after I uploaded the receipts online. All in call, a much smoother experience than yours - still not fun, but I gotta give props to State Farm service. I was considering switching, but given all this I might stay. I don't mind paying a little extra for good customer experience when needed (same reason why I stay with Verizon, I know I could do it cheaper elsewhere but the difference in customer service is what keeps me there, and I've had accounts with every other carrier for work before (testing cell phones) - hated AT&T the most).

Uhmm... it was documented, though not called + anymore, when I was buying:
View attachment 300594

Interesting! In all my research, I hadn't seen that blurb before nor has anyone else mentioned it.

It's strange though that some of the P85Ds made during that period did not get the + suspension.

I have to think that that blurb didn't last very long on the design studio website.

Interesting! In all my research, I hadn't seen that blurb before nor has anyone else mentioned it.

It's strange though that some of the P85Ds made during that period did not get the + suspension.

I have to think that that blurb didn't last very long on the design studio website.
Not sure when it appeared but I know it went away mid April on the same day the tech package seized to exist. I confirmed my order on the day it changed and remember specifically asking to make sure I would get the performance suspension (since on my order page it was still showing up, but on new order design studio it was gone). I did get it, early May'15 build.

Wow, thanks for the warning about Geico and sorry you have to go through this. When my wife's MS was totaled in February, the longest delay was waiting for the only Tesla approved structural repair place in the area to do an appraisal. Once the car was determined a total loss, it took 2 conversations (on same day IIRC) with the adjuster to settle on the appraisal and less than a week for the check to be ready for pick up at a local State Farm office. It took a couple of weeks for the deductible check to be sent (since it was the other person's fault, proven by dashcam but the insurance company had to wait for the official police report). Car rental reimbursement was mailed a day or two after I uploaded the receipts online. All in call, a much smoother experience than yours - still not fun, but I gotta give props to State Farm service. I was considering switching, but given all this I might stay. I don't mind paying a little extra for good customer experience when needed (same reason why I stay with Verizon, I know I could do it cheaper elsewhere but the difference in customer service is what keeps me there, and I've had accounts with every other carrier for work before (testing cell phones) - hated AT&T the most).
My experience with SF was not nearly so positive. It didn't exactly cement my loyalty with them.

Today I checked Geicos website for any status on my claim and now they are going to fix my car.
It's going to cost them $44k and 33 days to fix.

All while I never received any notification from my adjustor.

Now I need to learn how to make a DV claim.