Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Tripled after adding Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
some insurers are just very dense when it comes to Teslas... meaning the insurer somehow puts them into a very expensive category. Here in Texas Farmers Insurance couldn't get the premium down to anywhere near progressive... even after 2 calls and going back and forth with the agent.

They use repair cost data. In the early days they didn't have much data but now see how expensive it is to repair and how often and easily it is considered totaled because of the design and high repair costs.

Absolutely. I ditched Geico and went to State Farm and cut my rates in half - yes in half. I was with them for 15 years, including my home insurance. Home insurance premium did not change, but auto was cut by half

With State Farm when I recently switched from 3 to Y, the premium for Y came in a bit less than the 3.

Cat’s out of the bag!

My model 3 insurance with State Farm, in the Metro-Atlanta area, is currently $89/month. Coverage below as follows:

$500 collision deductible
$0 comprehensive deductible
200/300/200 or 150/300/150 (don’t remember)

2020 Model 3 LR AWD
No speeding tickets/points on record on primary driver. Multiple vehicle discount and long-age account discount applied (15yr old account). 35yr old male primary driver.

My wife’s Yukon’s insurance premium is more than my Model 3’s @ $102/month.

Just going over transactions in my checking acct, to save to my tax records for 2020, and one of the transaction sorts, put my payments to my auto insurance company, Liberty Mutual, together, and I realized a few years back, I was paying about $130 a month to insure 2 cars, a BMW and a Volt, and now I'm insuring the BMW and Tesla, for $146 a month, or about $16 a month more, about a 12% increase in going from the Volt to the Tesla.
by default 2021-01-08 at 1.10.11 PM.jpg