Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance troubles May 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious as to how this works with regard to the 28 days period that you must notify them within. The layers of bureaucracy involved must hugely eat into this by the time the request reaches the actual keeper of the vehicle.
spicy... :)

because the notification to inform who was driving I received 1.5 months after the notification was issued... So in essence called to Police and bargained for the chance to have speed awareness course.. :D they agreed

The 14 day period is different. If you get an caught speeding then you must respond within 28 days notifying who the driver was; Speeding penalties

View attachment 936728
Each person who is sent the NIP asking for the driver has 28 days to respond (failure to respond can lead to a fine and 6 points on their licence). If there’s a long chain between the R/K and the actual driver, it could possibly take a while to obtain the ultimate driver details if each one takes the full 28 days to respond, however it’s rare that there’s a long chain and most people respond pretty quickly as they don’t want beef.

spicy... :)

because the notification to inform who was driving I received 1.5 months after the notification was issued... So in essence called to Police and bargained for the chance to have speed awareness course.. :D they agreed
I’d imagine you were in line for a speed awareness course, in any event. The length of time would have been irrelevant, as long as the initial NIP was sent within the 14 day period.

I’d imagine you were in line for a speed awareness course, in any event. The length of time would have been irrelevant, as long as the initial NIP was sent within the 14 day period.
I actually was 1 week too late for speed awareness course. you have like 30 days or something to confirm if you want to opt in for the speed awareness course or pay the fine. that time has already passed when I received the letter... a bit sphincter clench was performed... I can tell you that.. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Matrel and Exy1
I actually was 1 week too late for speed awareness course. you have like 30 days or something to confirm if you want to opt in for the speed awareness course or pay the fine. that time has already passed when I received the letter... a bit sphincter clench was performed... I can tell you that.. :D
Fortunately, the police are people, too, believe it or not!

Another data point - my £1155 policy last year has morphed into a £2300 renewal quote with Churchill.

General question I’d appreciate if anyone could advise: in the last year someone hit my parked Model 3. It was recorded on sentry mode and their insurers accepted liability and paid up.

However Churchill are treating the incident as extinguishing my NCD. Is this an error? I understand that in the event of a claim that isn’t your fault, you might still lose your NCD - but the key word is ‘claim’. Where the third party is identified, accepts liability and their insurers pay out, surely I cannot be treated as having made a claim from my insurers?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Arguable semantics. Whether your fault or not there was a claim. If you had NCD cover then NCD should only be partially reduced rather than totally lost.
I'm still waiting on what's going to happen with mine. I did have my first accident in 35 yrs due to me before Xmas. Was reminded at the time by insurers that I have NCD cover. Last month I had a spurious claim against me with assessor agreeing not a mark on my car so I couldn't have hit the other. He said it wouldn't affect rates. But those companies use any excuse to up premiums and I'm waiting for renewal time for the shoe to drop.
At the same time I've just sold my other car with full NCD and have wondered about switching across....

I'll see what they say when they call them. For me, given my insurer was effectively fully indemnified by the other insurer paying out and not out of pocket by a penny, I would find it pretty galling for them to say I have made a claim.

I'll see what they say when they call them. For me, given my insurer was effectively fully indemnified by the other insurer paying out and not out of pocket by a penny, I would find it pretty galling for them to say I have made a claim.
It's happened to me. Motorbike went into the back of me. Admitted it was his fault straight away and his insurer sorted it all. At renewal time my premiums shot up. Didn't lose my NCD though.

Just to add my own findings to this discussion. Although you are getting the car from your company you are actually paying for it out of your own pocket and therefore you should state the car as a lease and not a company car.

You cannot claim to be the owner or registered keeper as many have said on here but if you state that it is a lease not a company car then the quotations should be much more sensible.

On the subject of registered keeper this is always held with a lease company, on the Tusker salary sacrifice scheme they retain the V5 and the company isn’t even the registered keeper as some have mentioned.

The reason this is different on a PCP is because there is an ownership element to a PCP, regardless of if you chose to pay the balloon payment you always finance it and therefore the car is paid in full on collection so you are the legal owner and registered keeper but the finance company have an interest in the car via your credit contract should you default. It is for this reason that lease cars rarely show on your credit report despite a credit check being performed and regular payments leaving your bank, it is just a rental.

Another data point - my £1155 policy last year has morphed into a £2300 renewal quote with Churchill.

General question I’d appreciate if anyone could advise: in the last year someone hit my parked Model 3. It was recorded on sentry mode and their insurers accepted liability and paid up.

However Churchill are treating the incident as extinguishing my NCD. Is this an error? I understand that in the event of a claim that isn’t your fault, you might still lose your NCD - but the key word is ‘claim’. Where the third party is identified, accepts liability and their insurers pay out, surely I cannot be treated as having made a claim from my insurers?

I had a claim with Churchill who deducted my XS from the repair bill because they said it was knock for knock even though the other driver had admitted liability.. My insurance came up for renewal at the same time and the quote was vastly increased even though I had NCD cover. I made them contact the other insurer who said yes their client would pay. They then paid me my XS back and reduced the new quote to a reasonable level. But I did have to hastle them.

I'm sorry to hear that & it's different to my experience with Churchill and a third party claim.

in July 2021 a car parked without the handbrake engaged had rolled across a public carpark and embedded itself in my drivers door. Nether of us was present but two witnesses were & full liability was accepted when the other driver returned.

The ~£6k for repairs, replacement vehicle etc were fully covered by the third party insurance although Churchill mishandled part of the process & issued me a goodwill gesture of £50.

On renewal in April 2022 my premium only increased by £12 and my NCD remained the same.

As far as i'm aware (although i'm by no means an expert) NCD is only effected if they can't claim the money from a 3rd party. Your insurance would still increase as your risk is deemed higher, but you should still get NCD on the new figure.

Reactions: Adopado

When I had someone go into the back of me at a set of lights, my insurer did not deduct my NCD after the other party accepted full liability.

Sometimes you lose some NCB etc until the claim is fully settled one way or the other which could take quite some while.

But that is based on experience from many many years ago. What would probably be classed as a claims management company working on behalf of my insurers to reclaim excess etc chased an uninsured driver through court, judgement and bailiffs only to find the contents of their house was apparently all in their sons name. Looking back, it wouldn’t surprise me if that took several years.

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1
As above I have read that some people have issues with the RWD model.
I have a long range and with Aviva £531.44
I’m with aviva for my model Y. Last year £366. Got an email from them Thai morning saying that the underwriters won’t allow the car to be reinsured upon renewal and sent me a proof of no claims, despite 30+ years no incident driving.
Cheapest quotes I’m getting is over £800 or £650 if I want a black box at the age of 50.

I think it’s pushback because Tesla won’t use their repair system which is full of back hand contracts and other inflated costs.

Just to add my experience on this - last year my M3LR was insured with Direct Line at a premium of c.£875. Just had the renewal through and they've quoted £1,375, despite nothing changing at all.

Clearly Direct Line aren't interested in retaining my business, so I've done the comparison sites and got a quote from LV for around £950. When I ran the details through the LV site directly it came down further to c.£900.

The market for Tesla insurance is clearly getting more difficult though as most of the comparison site quotes I was getting were in the £1,200 - £2,000 range.

Although LV are a bit higher than DL last year I've actually gone for a multi-car policy which includes my wife's car and we're now paying less for both cars this year than we were last year. So might be worth others looking at that approach as well if you have a second car.

Same here! It’s scandalous. £393 last year with DL, renewal over £800, reduced to £770 over the phone but wouldn’t / couldn’t go any lower. Adrian Flux was over £1600 and cheapest on comparisons was Admiral at £750. There were only a few companies quoting in the hundreds on the comparison sites - most were well over an £1k. Eventually lumped mine, the missus and house insurance together with Admiral multi-cover and got it down to £658 (just for the M3P).

Not what I wanted to pay but seems to be what’s happening to us all at the moment. Hope the market levels out over the next 12 months (missus drives a Juke for which the premiums haven’t changed for the last 3 years).

I’m 49, never claimed and have a full clean license, doing less than 5k miles a year too!

Same here! It’s scandalous. £393 last year with DL, renewal over £800, reduced to £770 over the phone but wouldn’t / couldn’t go any lower. Adrian Flux was over £1600 and cheapest on comparisons was Admiral at £750. There were only a few companies quoting in the hundreds on the comparison sites - most were well over an £1k. Eventually lumped mine, the missus and house insurance together with Admiral multi-cover and got it down to £658 (just for the M3P).

Not what I wanted to pay but seems to be what’s happening to us all at the moment. Hope the market levels out over the next 12 months (missus drives a Juke for which the premiums haven’t changed for the last 3 years).

I’m 49, never claimed and have a full clean license, doing less than 5k miles a year too!
DL are an unreliable mess right now. Because their claims costs were higher than their income, they are chopping and changing their offerings. I sold my MY performance and they refused to accept a 2008 Skoda as a change of vehicle. For me, the precarious insurance situation is keeping me out of Teslas right now.