TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance UK

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by hagrid_LDN, Aug 16, 2017.

1. hagrid_LDN

hagrid_LDN Member

hi guys

I would like some advice on best provider to insure Tesla Model S

My car will park on the street as we live in a terrace with no drive in

Thanks
    Nicola

2. lbzbean

lbzbean New Member

Direct Line have a special deal with Tesla

3. DJP31

DJP31 Member

Yep, Direct Line have a dedicated Tesla team, make sure you ring 0800 051 0036 (from the Tesla website) otherwise you'll end up in the usual call centre and need to go through "what's the cc" scenario.

LV were good for me and Novo have an excellent reputation for sorting out claims for Tesla drivers involved in accidents. They've recently started offering insurance and whilst not the cheapest the cover is very wide I believe.

Novo Incident Management | Tesla Insurance | Vehicle Replacement

Hastings Direct and Admiral get the odd mention, but NFU and Home & Legacy have pulled out.

Watch the "new for old" cover often thrown in - it gives you a replacement car if yours is written off in the first 12 months. The small print usually says a replacement vehicle has to be readily available, which is unlikely with a Tesla. I bought stand alone Gap insurance (for the first time ever), on a "replacement car" basis. These guys are good but not the only ones.

car2cover.co.uk

You will also get a better quote by making your enquires a few weeks before you need cover and then going back to firm up once a delivery date is known.

• Informative x 1
  4. hagrid_LDN

hagrid_LDN Member

Thanks guys

DJP31 - you rock mate. Thanks so much mate for taking the time to provide so many details. I appreciate it

5. Anode

Anode Member

+1 re direct line. Same set up as you, terraced house (in london) parking on street. They were the least expensive with the best coverage. Check to make sure others will pay for Tesla to do the repairs; some seem to either limit the amount they will pay out for tesla to do the repairs or insist you use their repairers.

6. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Dunno what current state is, but NFU offer Tesla insurance - I believe to existing NFU customers only

7. tonyj01

tonyj01 Member

Hi all,

I have been with Direct Line in the past and again this year about to end. Admiral quoted me £5000+ to renew last August for my S90D, clean licence, well into middle age etc.

Premium with DL last year was about £400 for the Model S and renewal [with no claims, etc] they have quoted £600. Interestingly we also have a non REX BMW i3 and that was more last year to insure than the Tesla, by a small margin, and is also over £600 to renew with DL.

However, I feel I will not gain much by shopping around but I will do so. Last year I had a very good deal, so no complaints.

Regards,

Tony

8. boywonder

boywonder New Member

I've just insured an S85D with DirectLine living in London for £770. The point about arranging your insurance well before the start date is good advice - you will get a reasonable price reduction compared to insuring on the day.

9. hagrid_LDN

hagrid_LDN Member

Thanks guys
    I called them on Saturday but the Tesla team was always busy and they offered to call me back in 2 hours

Looks like lots of people ordering Tesla or DC must add more people in the Tesla team

10. maserati

maserati New Member

watch out for high excess Got quote from direct line of £540 rep forgot to mention excess until I asked him £650 !!!!

11. hagrid_LDN

hagrid_LDN Member

just spoke with DC. they quoted me £1195 for Model X 75D with second driver. it includes NCD and £500 excess. i have 5 years no claim and off street parking. had a claim in July 16 which reduced by NCD to 5 years. i got better quotes

12. hagrid_LDN

hagrid_LDN Member

Out of interest how much DC quoted you? They quoted £1195 for Model x 75D with 5 years NCD and £500 voluntary excess

13. fergusfog

fergusfog New Member

I wonder how on earth did I get such a bad quote from DL...
    43 yrs old, 11yrs NCD, no accidents, 3pts last year and they want £1200 from me with £850 excess!! Taking the P. :-(

14. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I've heard of poor quotes from folk that just called the normal number, rather than the dedicated Tesla one

15. fergusfog

fergusfog New Member

Ok, that might be it. It was through the website. I'll give them a call. :)

16. Anode

Anode Member

Yup, I got a better quote from the dedicated line, by about 7-8%. For one, the normal line does not know to apply the "autopilot discount". If your car is equipped, you get 5% off. Apparently insurers agree that it's safer.

• Like x 1
  17. fergusfog

fergusfog New Member

Excelente. Thanks.

18. Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson Member

Hello looking into a 75d and I'm 27 with 6 years no claims doing around 10,000 miles a year on average has any one got a quote like it living in la14 postcode. Thanks

Ps being a Sunday dl is closed

19. CotswoldS3X

CotswoldS3X Member

• Like x 1
  20. hagrid_LDN

hagrid_LDN Member

Guys, can you please advise if this is this the dedicate DC number of Tesla - 0345 772 9779