Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just taken out my insurance with Nova. They arranged a great deal, and I was delighted with the way they dealt with me. Unlike other insurance companies, they offer a guaranteed loan Tesla if required. Apparently they keep a fleet of Teslas for this purpose. They were cheaper than all the big boys - LV, Admiral, Direct Line etc. I dealt with Robbie, who came back to me promptly and with first class professionalism.

2 more sleeps to go until my early Christmas present!

I have just taken out my insurance with Nova. They arranged a great deal, and I was delighted with the way they dealt with me. Unlike other insurance companies, they offer a guaranteed loan Tesla if required. Apparently they keep a fleet of Teslas for this purpose. They were cheaper than all the big boys - LV, Admiral, Direct Line etc. I dealt with Robbie, who came back to me promptly and with first class professionalism.

2 more sleeps to go until my early Christmas present!
This one?

upload_2019-12-3_14-30-40.png

Is it me or are insurance prices on the M3 rapidly going up? I was able to stick with my current insurer in the end for for the rest of the term and not get hammered too much. But quotes though money supermarket were in the £600-700 range for me a couple of months ago and now they are in the £800-900 range and that is only LV and churchill after that it gets REALLY silly.
Whats going on?

Is it me or are insurance prices on the M3 rapidly going up? I was able to stick with my current insurer in the end for for the rest of the term and not get hammered too much. But quotes though money supermarket were in the £600-700 range for me a couple of months ago and now they are in the 800-900 range and that is only LV and churchill after that it gets REALLY silly.
Whats going on?

Yep, my car was due mid December so got a quote of £467 off LV, now looking like being end Jan - Feb delivery / collection so did a fresh quote today and gone up to £740 ! (still with LV)

Yeah my quotes went from £650 to the point that my renewal is the cheapest than any other quote (yes, went quote hunting 21 days before) - £840 with an, ouch, £1050 excess (vol and comp)
On the one hand I'm kinda glad it's not just me! but wtf why is it going up so much? I can't believe any are being stolen. Just being driven like they are maybe. More likely though I think it was always a bit odd that a few companies seems a lot cheaper than the rest. I think LV have woken up to the fact that they can add another £200 to their quotes and still be the cheapest! so like good capitalists they did.

Reactions: JupiterMan
*sharpens guillotines*

Yeah, I'm waiting for Novo and APlan to get back to me. Not holding out much hope, though. Will likely be a "swallow the £840 and take out excess insurance. On the subject of the latter, anyone know of good excess insurance?

Ta.
I posted this a couple of months back Motor Excess Protection
you could get £1000 excess cover for about £40 but its £1000 total so if you have multiple claims you are only covered for £1000 total not per claim. Assume it has not changed much.
FYI did you know you can also buy loaner excess insurance for those inevitable trips to the service centre ( but from from that link)

Like others on the forum, I had to get a new quote when my delivery date came through (original one had expired) and it suddenly jumped by £70! I phoned direct-line and they were happy to price match the original quote. Next cheapest was LV but the same cost didn’t include things like legal protection and protected no claims. Also tried NOVO who said they didn’t think they could match direct line (£524) as most of their quotes were coming back at over £700. Novo are a broker by the way, not an insurer, just for info.

I’ve seen huge increases too over the last few weeks. 50-100 percent increase across all options. I wonder what’s happening with the model 3s out there

Nothing. The reason insurance increases is because the software algorithms detect over exposure to a certain potential risk and premiums rise to mitigate that risk. Some people believe they are putting up prices on a whim but that’s not how insurance works ( the cheapest price usually wins). I expect premiums will start falling back once everything settles down and the true risk is known ( or they might sky rocket if loads of Model 3s start catching fire :) )

Reactions: SkyFly
Nothing. The reason insurance increases is because the software algorithms detect over exposure to a certain potential risk and premiums rise to mitigate that risk. Some people believe they are putting up prices on a whim but that’s not how insurance works ( the cheapest price usually wins). I expect premiums will start falling back once everything settles down and the true risk is known ( or they might sky rocket if loads of Model 3s start catching fire :) )

It could be valid but for now we are just guessing. Let’s hope it comes down, certainly as more get on the roads I’m hoping the options and availability of parts and qualified mechanics increases and helps lower insurance! But who knows

Just get a SR+ .... £230 with Churchill (beginning of September price). It went up from £216 because I had to phone them to extend the quote date when delivery was delayed ... seems like a small price to pay when I see what people are paying for a Performance.