Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive been on here for a while trying to get advice on Insurance for my M3 SR+ The cheapest so far is with Direct Line at £560 (a month ago it was £865) Some have said to use Novo but they came out at £1377.72
It amazes me the gulf between companies who DO insure the M3

Ive been on here for a while trying to get advice on Insurance for my M3 SR+ The cheapest so far is with Direct Line at £560 (a month ago it was £865) Some have said to use Novo but they came out at £1377.72
It amazes me the gulf between companies who DO insure the M3
I went with Direct Line because they have a Dedicated Team, seemed to know what the Car was about and gave me a competitive quote similar to yours.

Reactions: Trevor EV
Insurance on the X due soon, 3rd year in a Tesla. As usual am pleasantly surprised at how cheap it is. My wifes Lexus IS300H saloon is £480, so under £200 extra for the Tesla isn't that much extra premium.

49368765136_cf26ec3724_c_d.jpg

That quote rather depends where in the UK you are. According to newspapers insurance rates have shot up due to car theft and even if a tesla is harder to steal we still pay towards the other marques. Apparently it's lead to a windfall in tax revenue (oh, goody - more money for vanity projects and feasibility study fees for gov's mates)

After a decade of insuring everything through Esure, they point blank refused to insure my new M3P. Their loss. Moved all insurance over to Admiral, who insured it for a smidge over £1000 with the legal protections added. In London. Which is less than I used to pay for an Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTD.

Curious as to why so many insurers wont insure teslas? Are they confused? Does the computer 'say no' because it doesn't know wether to classify it as... a) a minbeast stealth supercar with a booming system... or b) The 5* Euro NCAP car with sentry cameras, dashcams, driver assists, etc as standard. Or do they not like money? :D

Probably several factors.

It's a very fast car, particularly the Performance, so lots of potential for "watch this" incidents - so will be loaded heavily there.
Repair costs and parts availability are a bit of an unknown quantity, so potentially long hire car costs.

Reactions: Skeewiff
After a decade of insuring everything through Esure, they point blank refused to insure my new M3P. Their loss. Moved all insurance over to Admiral, who insured it for a smidge over £1000 with the legal protections added. In London. Which is less than I used to pay for an Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTD.

Curious as to why so many insurers wont insure teslas? Are they confused? Does the computer 'say no' because it doesn't know wether to classify it as... a) a minbeast stealth supercar with a booming system... or b) The 5* Euro NCAP car with sentry cameras, dashcams, driver assists, etc as standard. Or do they not like money? :D

They probably figure it like this:

Driver profile = BMW 3 series / Audi A4 driver
Performance = Ferrari
Repair cost = not enough data
Steal Ability = not enough data
Other: Read somewhere that autopilot crashes into stationary objects and they spontaneously catch fire everyone dies and they take 3 days to put out,

Premium = £££££

Might be a Northern Ireland thing but I got a much better quote through Hughes Insurance than Direct Line - cheaper and with much lower excess. (Policy is through AXA). Definitely worth a shot if you are NI, might be worth a try if GB.

£380 for an SR+ - I have >10 years no claims, wife (named on policy) had a "blame" accident 4 years ago - for reference DL wanted around £550, and £380 is about what I paid last year for a Lexus GS.

Last edited:
Well this is definitely not going to be the best bit about owning a Telsa...

I'm 43, single but have my mum on my policy(!), got 10 years No Claims, no accidents, no convictions, no claims, car parked in secure underground parking every night:

DL = 900ish
LV = 1500ish!

Yes it's london, but the nice surrey part in zone 6. My current XC40 is about 400 and even my Audi TT didn't go above £500 :(

For my ordered M3 LR I was quoted £507 by DL - 50-ish yr old with 9+ yrs NCD but 3pts; Also wife on the policy with 9+ NCD and no points; Located in Fife, Scotland and parked on the drive at night. That included legal and protected NCD. Thought that was pretty decent.

I'm 43, single but have my mum on my policy(!), got 10 years No Claims, no accidents, no convictions, no claims, car parked in secure underground parking every night:

DL = 900ish
LV = 1500ish!

Yes it's london, but the nice surrey part in zone 6. My current XC40 is about 400 and even my Audi TT didn't go above £500 :(

I get about the same, but out in the sticks, a bit younger but 10y ncb, parked on drive etc... I do do about 26k miles a year though so assumed it would be that?

Reactions: chewystuey

DL = 900ish
LV = 1500ish!

Im in London too (and not the nicest of parts) but mines coming out at £600! I think the biggest variable is when you select the start date. If I select it for today or tomorrow, it comes to above £1000, if I start my start date in 5 days time, it drops to the £600's

For my 2018 S75D this year, per Martin Lewis' MoneySavingExpert website, my cheapest quotes were on the 23rd day before renewal date. However, current insurer of Hastings Direct hiked auto-renew price by 70%! My best comprehensive quote was still 19% up on what I paid last year. I was also taken aback by the third-party, fire & theft quote from Privilege at a stunning £321! I believe the price increases across the board and perhaps for Tesla in particular are due to all the total vehicle cost losses incurred in Europe last year until the PIN-to-Drive feature became available for passive entry silent theft. In the EU it was around a 97% total loss rate, quite different to the near 98% recovery rate in US. A better quality of car thieves/gangs in Europe it seems. Even the telematics providers didn't want to be competitive this time either. I even tried relatively new entrant Mustard.co.uk's guaranteed* to beat online renewal offer, they couldn't. Interestingly, they did mention the time of year, hinting that September time would give the most optimal value (given summer holidays and new registration boost of Q3).

My current ICE car is insured with the AA. Thought I'd give them a whirl but their "request a quote" page lists Mode X, Model S, and the Roadster, but no Model 3. Anyone know if this is just the website, or are they not insuring Model 3s?

Last edited: