Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheapest I can get is around £550 with Churchill. That’s with 10y NCD. I suspect it’s the 2 non-fault accidents in the past 5 years which are shafting me. Unmarked police car hit me in the rear at a roundabout and an HMRC auditor hit my car in the work car park!
Yes, I had a Harley ram our other car up the back causing £4,000 of damage. It was a non-fault claim but insurer used a claims investigator to defend against an unjustified claim as the driver went to hospital with broken bones and claimed it was wholly my fault.

Premium rose a lot the following year, and I was told it was because of the non-fault claim. I think its 5 years before it drops off.

Yes, I had a Harley ram our other car up the back causing £4,000 of damage. It was a non-fault claim but insurer used a claims investigator to defend against an unjustified claim as the driver went to hospital with broken bones and claimed it was wholly my fault.

Premium rose a lot the following year, and I was told it was because of the non-fault claim. I think its 5 years before it drops off.
Some insurers (such as the Admiral group) only ask for last 3 years of accidents which drops me to 1 accident (2017 and 2019 were the dates of mine). But their prices were still more expensive than the Direct Line group. LV was in the ballpark but with a £700 excess!

Insurance still sucks for Tesla, after 2 years now the insurance is just going up by about £100 a year rather than down, 15 years NCB all the obvious low risk indicators so its purely down to the cars rating.

I tend to think that it must be other factors otherwise all Teslas would be tending to follow that trajectory ... mine went down this year and I've read of one or two others who had the same. £225 (Churchill) Living in a low crime area and being an older driver obviously helps a whole lot! (I'm also happy carrying a large excess becasue there's no way I'm claiming for small stuff.)

I tend to think that it must be other factors otherwise all Teslas would be tending to follow that trajectory ... mine went down this year and I've read of one or two others who had the same. £225 (Churchill) Living in a low crime area and being an older driver obviously helps a whole lot! (I'm also happy carrying a large excess becasue there's no way I'm claiming for small stuff.)
I'm in a low crime area too and old (it's all relative I guess)! I done another comparison site run and my lowest quote was now £470 with Admiral. I might follow your lead and bump the excess up. The last time I had an accident that was my fault was probably 15+ years ago.

There's obviously a diminishing return when it comes to bumping up the excess. I had my voluntary set to £250 and my cheapest quote was Admiral at £470 with a compulsory £350 excess (so £600 in total). I then bumped my voluntary up to £500, the cheapest again was Admiral at £465. And that's the cheapest I could ever get it. Even with a £1000 voluntary excess, the lowest was still £465.

So best to play around with your voluntary excess and make sure you're not inadvertently exposing yourself to more potential outlay than required in the case of an accident just to get a cheaper premium.

Reactions: moodel_tree
Hi all,

Has anyone had an issues getting a quote though Direct Line? I had a quote when I was playing around when first ordering the car in June. Now I have the reg and delivery date of 11th Sept I thought I would try again to get an updated quote. Online it says '

We're sorry!​

We can't give you a quote for car insurance based on information you’ve given us.'

I have just called DL and spoke to an advisor who went through all the details and tried again and he said it looks like DL are not insuring these Tesla's at the moment (M3LR). He said I am not the first person he has had the conversation with this week and sometimes they stop and then restart the insurances for some cars but couldn't give me a date when they will start again.

All very strange especially when DL and Tesla work together and it is stated on their website!!

Hi all,

Has anyone had an issues getting a quote though Direct Line? I had a quote when I was playing around when first ordering the car in June. Now I have the reg and delivery date of 11th Sept I thought I would try again to get an updated quote. Online it says '

We're sorry!​

We can't give you a quote for car insurance based on information you’ve given us.'

I have just called DL and spoke to an advisor who went through all the details and tried again and he said it looks like DL are not insuring these Tesla's at the moment (M3LR). He said I am not the first person he has had the conversation with this week and sometimes they stop and then restart the insurances for some cars but couldn't give me a date when they will start again.

All very strange especially when DL and Tesla work together and it is stated on their website!!

WTF? Thats super weird given they are the official partner. Did you go through the Tesla link on their website?

Reactions: Erol
There is always the option of going for a high excess then adding excess insurance separately

My insurance through churchill was about £30 cheaper than last year, I have a high excess but insure that excess from ALA which works cheaper than having a much lower excess. Churchill also do not seem to care about non-fault accidents.