Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M&S ended up quoting an amusing £1,728.21 for me via LV (current £402 with Aviva). £25 fee to amend, £50 after 14 days. Insurance providers used: Ageas, Aviva, AXA, Covea, Highway Insurance Company Ltd, LV, Premier Underwriting, Sabre and West Bay Insurance Plc.

Amusingly a second go resulted in Highway Insurances Company Ltd accepting a mere £2,679.45 :)

Last edited:
I just got a lovely letter from Direct Line saying they would not renew cover on my MYLR. Included my no claims certificate to make it easier to leave as well. Thankfully it was an error in migrating from one system to another, so if anyone else gets a similar letter, call them.

Renewal was about £650

When I ordered my MYLR in mid July, compare the market (Aviva) came out at £500, now the cheapest (admiral) coming out at £900?! 8 years no claims. It was £800 a week ago - each quote is for cover in 21 days time which is usually the cheapest.

I wonder if it’s to do with things like the lack of windscreens causing premiums to go up.

I’m still going to save over £500 in road tax a year so that softens the blow, but still, here’s hoping things sort themselves out by the time I get a car allocated!

Reactions: Roger20
Finally got my renewal from Admiral, last year was £525 this year was £852. After a call they magically took £200 off it for loyalty??? I politely declined and took Churchill up on thier quote for £367 I got through compare the market.

Finally got my renewal from Admiral, last year was £525 this year was £852. After a call they magically took £200 off it for loyalty??? I politely declined and took Churchill up on thier quote for £367 I got through compare the market.
Perhaps I need to do some ringing around rather than relying on compare the market!

This may be of interest to some in this mornings Times "Motorists are to be rewarded with discounts on their insurance premiums when they use a new generation of self driving cars that could be on Britain’s roads before the end of the year" although I would have to point out to the reporter that these cars are on the road now.

Was equivalent of 500 a year when I got cover in June with admiral, renewal with admiral now over 1k, direct line want 950 (using the tesla link) 45 with 10 years ncd, no accidents or claims. Cheapest on compare the market is 770!

Was equivalent of 500 a year when I got cover in June with admiral, renewal with admiral now over 1k, direct line want 950 (using the tesla link) 45 with 10 years ncd, no accidents or claims. Cheapest on compare the market is 770!
Exactly the same experience as me with regards to the current prices. It’s got to be parts/repair related or something!

The cheapest offer of 770 for me is with a black box…. errrm no!

This may be of interest to some in this mornings Times "Motorists are to be rewarded with discounts on their insurance premiums when they use a new generation of self driving cars that could be on Britain’s roads before the end of the year" although I would have to point out to the reporter that these cars are on the road now.
This is related to the new legislation that will allow cars to drive without human input on motorways under certain circumstances, not the driver assistance features we have today. Tesla will need to make changes, and then the car will need to accepted as a self-driving car by the transport secretary (whoever that will be by then, lets hope it's not JRM). Initially it will be at low speeds, so congestion only, but the regs will start allowing it upto the speed limit.

My new Churchill insurance policy already has terms in to cover my car if it gets added to that list for self driving.

Churchill not wanting to budge on mine (mid 40s, 7y NCD, no claims, 3 points)

No change to anything over the last 3 years (around the £650 mark for each year over the past 3 years with last year being £670) - then it goes up by over 60% for this years premium.

They said "its gone up due to a higher risk to insure this vehicle model" - it's odd that some are not getting these obsured increases but some do.

I have shopped around and best i could get was £880 and with the @Nick77 (Cheers for the tip) £40 off it is £840. approx 25% increase.

Classic one was APlan, i filled in there form, they called me and said they would call back later that day or the next day with a price for insurance. That was a week ago!

Reactions: Nick77
I wonder if Churchill's "it's gone up due to a higher risk to insure this vehicle model" reasoning is because of this years shenanigans with their "pet glazier" Autoglass and their failure to supply glass resulting in paying out higher claims for Tesla supplied and fitted windscreens?

I'll find out in a few weeks when Churchill get round to sending me my renewal by 7th September - am I going to need a second mortgage to pay for it?

Reactions: mick4545
I wonder if Churchill's "it's gone up due to a higher risk to insure this vehicle model" reasoning is because of this years shenanigans with their "pet glazier" Autoglass and their failure to supply glass resulting in paying out higher claims for Tesla supplied and fitted windscreens?

I'll find out in a few weeks when Churchill get round to sending me my renewal by 7th September - am I going to need a second mortgage to pay for it?

Have just renewed with Churchill (mine is up on 2nd September), mine has gone up by £92 over what I paid last year to £422 (£250 excess and also includes Roadside breakdown with greenflag) - however was still £60 cheaper than the cheapest I found on comparethemarket!

Last edited:
All the insurance regulation change to prevent loyal customers being penalised seems to have only resulted in most finding their existing insurer cheaper than other companies, while still having the price hiked. Fair for all I guess, while unfair for the safer than average drivers or comparison switchers.

Reactions: Alistairuk
All the insurance regulation change to prevent loyal customers being penalised seems to have only resulted in most finding their existing insurer cheaper than other companies, while still having the price hiked. Fair for all I guess, while unfair for the safer than average drivers or comparison switchers.
Yep, as it was predicted by all to do... Seems as usual, goverment and their "lets stop lazy people who can't be bothered spending a few minutes to get a new quote from being over charged" has resulted in eveyone now being equally screwed over :)