Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance valuation for my totaled S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
My S85 was totaled last week (more on that later).

Geico has come back with a $45K evaluation for my car with the following specs:

2014 S85
Leather
Tech package with Autopilot
No other options
52K miles on the odo.

I bought it for $64k, 2 years ago with 19k miles on the Odo. Wanted to know if this valuation from Geico is in the ballpark of what you think is a fair number. Appreciate your inputs.

You might want to ask them what vehicles they are relying on to value the car. If they are looking at pre-AP1 2014 vehicles, they are low balling. Even the NADA book fails to distinguish between the AP1 and pre-AP1 2014s, but the former are worth thousands more. In my opinion, $45K sounds slightly low. No harm in pushing back a little.

You are correct and thanks for pointing it out. The two vehicles they compared against do not have AP.

Here is a screen shot of their comparison:

Untitled.png

Seems fairly reasonable to me. Maybe a grand or two low, but not out of the ballpark or anything.
Consider this one Its at $53k, but has 10k less miles, is a CPO, and has the air suspension and Subzero. That easily seems like a $10k difference to me.
The insurance company seems to be valuing miles at around 30¢ each, so that seems well short of $10K to me. Also, that price is before tax and any delivery fee.

The insurance company seems to be valuing miles at around 30¢ each, so that seems well short of $10K to me. Also, that price is before tax and any delivery fee.

Sure, so $3k for miles, $4-5k for CPO, and $2-3k for the options. I could be wrong but I don't think tax or delivery fees are accounted for regardless.

Just bought a 2014 S85, tech pkg, cold weather pkg, air suspension, pano roof, leather, 78k miles for $39k+tax. That said, it doesn't have autopilot (built in March), and from what I have seen ap1 adds a lot of value. I have yet to see AP1 cars going for under $50k, but then again there aren't that many made in 2014. I would say $45k is in the ballpark, maybe a bit low.

Just bought a 2014 S85, tech pkg, cold weather pkg, air suspension, pano roof, leather, 78k miles for $39k+tax. That said, it doesn't have autopilot (built in March), and from what I have seen ap1 adds a lot of value. I have yet to see AP1 cars going for under $50k, but then again there aren't that many made in 2014. I would say $45k is in the ballpark, maybe a bit low.

I bought a used 2014 model S for 48k with autopilot but it was through a private sell with high miles.